Used 1992 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

The People's Car for snow country
By bait989

1992 Subaru Legacy LS 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought car for less than $1,000 because it needed wheels(+tires). Chassis has 200k miles, but newer engine has less than 100k miles. A/C is acting up, and I wish I had the 5 spd manual because the 4 spd auto is a dinosaur. Factory stereo was decent, but was showing age until I replaced it. Oodles of space, great fuel economy (for its weight), and amazing reliability (with proper care) have made this little car earn a place in my family :) (His name is Oliver). Just keep up on the tire alignments and the awd Subaru Legacy will deliver hundreds of thousands of miles going wherever you need to go.

Amazing utility in a compact footprint! Good ground clearance for a car. Good gas mileage. Reliable, reliable, reliable.

4 spd auto transmission is not that good. Cruise control button is in a dumb location! Beware of curbs (could mess up alignment). This car is quite heavy. Newer Legacy's have more horsepower for better acceleration.

New opinion of foreign cars!
By Frank

1992 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon

I used to believe all foreign cars were junk. But i got this car for 700 out of desperation and could not be happier. Every time i go to do some work on it i am impressed with it's design. It is pushing 200,000 miles and the engine sounds great. I am incredibly impressed with the power that it's small 2.2 and automatic transmission have, and it is easy to control. I am getting around 25 mpg which is very impressive. Engine is small and very easy to work on (i pulled the crank pulley with out removing anything but the belts). It starts right away and will run all day long perfectly happy. I have even had the car loaded down with 5 full grown adults and i couldn't even tell. Very happy!

Everything seems to have a back-up. Engine is easy to work on. Computer can tell when you want to put the peddle down and adjusts the engine and transmission for added power. minimal rust on under-body (was undercoated). Also fuel pump is accessible through cabin.

As everyone says, cup holders. body panels are rusting away, and a weird quark where the front doors unlock when closed. Also keep an eye on crank pulley. mine somehow started to wobble and damage itself. and the scissor jack is kind of scary, but it works

Never Quits
By browncoat

1992 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought this car from it's first owner with 200,000 miles on it. Now has over 250k and we've only had to replace the muffler, the harmonic balancer and the alternator - amazing for a car that's been around this long. "Reliable" doesn't even cover it! Couldn't ask for a better "get out of debt" car. Not very pretty after hitting a deer last winter, but one learns humility :).

Handles all road conditions beautifully, runs like a champ who doesn't know the word "quit".

We have to check a bolt on the harmonic balancer regularly, as it likes to come loose. The cup holders are in a silly place and don't hold much anyway.

Runs every day
By subaru owner 4 life

1992 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon AWD

I got this car 3 years ago and it was from the first owner and had only 77,000 miles on it. Three years later, it now has 220,000 miles on it and still running. I've had to put in about $1000 in it every year, but that includes tires and other regular maintenance. I drive over 100 miles on most days and have taken it on long trips. It has always started up for me and has just been an all around awesome car for our family. Inside is roomy enough for my 6'4" husband, 5 year old, and 3 dogs. We have taken this car off-road several times and it's always made it. I have had to replace the struts twice and it's on it's way to get another set so we can still have it as a back-up car.

Roomy, reliable, cheap to fix if something goes wrong.

Automatic doesn't have the kick that I'd like, but I don't get the speeding tickets that I used to get.

The best little car I've owned yet.
By G.

1992 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Sedan

I bought my Subaru used back in 2002 with a little over 100k miles on it, drove it to about 170k miles. It never left me stranded on the side of the road, and only required basic maintenance - water pump @ 125k, a couple CV joints, plugs and wires @ 150k, alternator and battery @ 160k. I just sold it - and made back half what I paid for it 5 years ago. Yearly, I probably spent about $300-$500 on maintenance, which is excellent for a 10-16 year old vehicle. I absolutely got my money's worth on this car - and then some.

Reliability is absolutely its best feature. Secondly, maintenance is a breeze. Everything is totally accessible from the fuel and oil filters to the belts and alternator. Third, it's a pretty enjoyable car to drive, a smooth ride, and feels much like a Honda Accord, only at a fraction of the price.

The paint job on mine was miserable, the clear coat was gone when I bought it. The cupholders are too small and poorly placed. Would be nice if back seats would fold down. And tilt steering would have been a definite bonus. Trivial inconveniences, really, but would be an improvement nonetheless.