Used 1991 Subaru Legacy Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

1991 Subaru Legacy Sedan

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

my subaru legacy
By mttnln

1991 Subaru Legacy Sedan LSi 4dr Sedan

this car is wonderful, i have 157,000 miles on her, and just untill recently i have only had to put money into it for various little things, and one decent sized problem ( the boot on the axel). I am very pleased with this car, it is very relaible and comfortable. it is very safe and feels sturdy, i bought it for 1700 dollars and i think it was a good deal concidering theres no payment and how good it runs and how long they will last!.. if anyone has reviews on how it does on long road trips, email me or whatever they do on this site

Favorite Features

everything

Bullet Proof
By StealthATK

1991 Subaru Legacy Sedan Sport Turbo 4dr Sedan AWD

I've owned my Legacy for approximately 4 years while it's been in my family for 10. The car has been in 3 major accidents with no injuries to us and THAT is no accident. The car is a tank, reliable, and intelligently designed. My only complaint is that it's a gas pig for a 4 cyl. I drive the car as if it were stolen and have owned many other (much newer and "more sophisticated") cars and nothing touches this thing for stability and handling. The car is sure footed and agile, whatever the situation. The turbo provides ample power, and drive train distributes power evenly. I am the envy of all my friends.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive (Canadian winters make one truly appreciate), good power from turbo, fantastic handling. The interior is of good quality and the car feels sturdy and well built. The fit and finish is fantastic.

Suggested Improvements

I wish there were something I could do about the poor fuel economy (besides not being a lead foot). I doubt I've ever broken 30 MPG on this 4 cylinder, and I would dare to bet my average is low 20's. The cup holder is small and in a stupid spot.

Loved my Suby
By bullshartist

1991 Subaru Legacy Sedan L 4dr Sedan

I loved this car... finally sold it because it seemed like it was having transmission problems @ 172000 miles -- later found out it was probably just a clogged filter. Only FWD Subaru I have ever seen, but it handled in snow and ice beautifully -- and I live in Alaska. A very steady ride, power everything. I did have to make some repairs -- alternator, both CV joints, rubber door gaskets, new struts, sun visor on driver's side. However, NEVER any engine problems. Always started. Left it parked in -20 degrees for 2 weeks and it still started. It had lots of heart.

Favorite Features

Steady ride, automatic everything, that engine, chrome trim :-).

Suggested Improvements

What is that black-painted trim that peels off of every 1991 Subaru I've ever seen?? Why didn't they just make that chrome?

unbreakable japanese car
By jhalan777

1991 Subaru Legacy Sedan LSi 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought this car with over 250,000+ miles on it, and despite some idle issues that I have just now been able to handle this car just wont quit, its too ugly to sell, I use it as a back up car, but it starts and drives, despite only running on two cylinders for the last six months!

Favorite Features

unbreakable reliability

Suggested Improvements

move the cup holder, what were they thinking

Unbelievable
By spurlicke04

1991 Subaru Legacy Sedan Sport Turbo 4dr Sedan AWD

I had been wanting a Subaru for quite a while when I found this one. I got it for $500!! The amazing thing about this car is that the guy who had it before me hadn't changed the oil in 4 years, and it was still his daily driver. When I found it there were no fluids in it at all. No gas, powersteering, coolant, oil, trans fluid, no nothing. This guy told me that he was determined to drive it til the wheels fell off and didn't think that it was worth the money to change the oil. It was a little shaky at first. It was almost like I was bringing the car back out of a 4 year coma. Now it runs very strong. It doesn't look like much, but I shocked the hell out of a v8 mustang recently.

Favorite Features

This car is unbreakable. It's fast, responsive, handles like no other. Very cool auto trans (read about it). I feel that I can do anything with it. I plan on getting another car soon so I think I'm gonna strip this one down and put a roll cage in it to make the world's best go cart. lol

Suggested Improvements

This car was made back when gas was $1 a gallon, so fuel economy wasn't a big concern. The absolute worst place to put a cup holder. Seriously subaru...