Used 1991 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

1991 Subaru Legacy

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

A tank
By raywood1

1991 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon

I bought this 1991 Subaru legacy wagon with 5 speed manual transmission from the original owner 13 years ago. It now has 247,000 miles on it. It runs great. Most repairs have been normal maintenance. The biggest issue now is that it barely made it through DEQ last year. Too much CO. Next year may be it. Oh, and yes, gas mileage is pretty bad if all you do is drive traffic light to traffic light. That produces 15 mpg when I do that. But usually I get 19 in mixed, mostly city, driving, and 30 on the freeway at 60 mpg. There are lots of SUV's out there but very few Japanese station wagons being made any more. I'm keeping this one until it blows up. Or flunks DEQ.

Favorite Features

The overall size is small, but it has ample room for 5 adults. Back seat has good leg room, even with the front seats pushed all the way back.

Suggested Improvements

Mine requires premium, for some reason. Other people with this model run regular. Do not expect to blow somebody off the line at a traffic light. Going up mountains with any kind of load you may end up in 3rd gear. Power is not its forte.

my subaru legacy
By mttnln

1991 Subaru Legacy LSi 4dr Sedan

this car is wonderful, i have 157,000 miles on her, and just untill recently i have only had to put money into it for various little things, and one decent sized problem ( the boot on the axel). I am very pleased with this car, it is very relaible and comfortable. it is very safe and feels sturdy, i bought it for 1700 dollars and i think it was a good deal concidering theres no payment and how good it runs and how long they will last!.. if anyone has reviews on how it does on long road trips, email me or whatever they do on this site

Favorite Features

everything

Unshakable. Amazing Reliability
By sir stinky

1991 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon AWD

This is an amazing car! It's got almost 190,000 miles on it. It's been wrecked and rebuilt, has Ford Taurus wheel covers and is missing a couple parts, but still runs and drives just fine. In 80,000 miles and 10 years the only things that broke were the oil pump, alternator, a blown muffler. The O2 sensor took a dump several thousand miles ago, still runs good! Steers good. Handles good. Brakes Good. Transmission works good (but has arthritis now). Keep this car maintained and it will outlast your brand new car.

Favorite Features

The engine. Best 2.2 liter SOHC ever. Smooth idle, quiet, refined, good powerband. Handling. Reliability. Quality. It goes anywhere! AWD. You can put a lot of junk in the back of it.

Suggested Improvements

More horsepower. Bad gas mileage. It's a 4-cylinder. I get 20 or so. Not good. Gas isn't $1 gallon anymore. Bouncy ride. Cup holders!!!!! Motorized seatbelts.

Bullet Proof
By StealthATK

1991 Subaru Legacy Sport Turbo 4dr Sedan AWD

I've owned my Legacy for approximately 4 years while it's been in my family for 10. The car has been in 3 major accidents with no injuries to us and THAT is no accident. The car is a tank, reliable, and intelligently designed. My only complaint is that it's a gas pig for a 4 cyl. I drive the car as if it were stolen and have owned many other (much newer and "more sophisticated") cars and nothing touches this thing for stability and handling. The car is sure footed and agile, whatever the situation. The turbo provides ample power, and drive train distributes power evenly. I am the envy of all my friends.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive (Canadian winters make one truly appreciate), good power from turbo, fantastic handling. The interior is of good quality and the car feels sturdy and well built. The fit and finish is fantastic.

Suggested Improvements

I wish there were something I could do about the poor fuel economy (besides not being a lead foot). I doubt I've ever broken 30 MPG on this 4 cylinder, and I would dare to bet my average is low 20's. The cup holder is small and in a stupid spot.

Great Vehicle
By Griffen427

1991 Subaru Legacy LS 4dr Wagon

Great vehicle - has about 125,500 miles on it, and in great condition. I can get upwards of 29mpg on the car without problem. I have the FWD version.

Favorite Features

Trunk and folding back seats make LOTS of room, stereo has AUX input, sunroof, almost no blind spots, folding side-mirrors.

Suggested Improvements

Wider front tires to deal with the torque of the engine.