1991 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
A tank
By raywood1 on 05/16/14 21:08 PM (PDT)

1991 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon

I bought this 1991 Subaru legacy wagon with 5 speed manual transmission from the original owner 13 years ago. It now has 247,000 miles on it. It runs great. Most repairs have been normal maintenance. The biggest issue now is that it barely made it through DEQ last year. Too much CO. Next year may be it. Oh, and yes, gas mileage is pretty bad if all you do is drive traffic light to traffic light. That produces 15 mpg when I do that. But usually I get 19 in mixed, mostly city, driving, and 30 on the freeway at 60 mpg. There are lots of SUV's out there but very few Japanese station wagons being made any more. I'm keeping this one until it blows up. Or flunks DEQ.

my subaru legacy
By mttnln on 03/08/11 19:08 PM (PST)

1991 Subaru Legacy LSi 4dr Sedan

this car is wonderful, i have 157,000 miles on her, and just untill recently i have only had to put money into it for various little things, and one decent sized problem ( the boot on the axel). I am very pleased with this car, it is very relaible and comfortable. it is very safe and feels sturdy, i bought it for 1700 dollars and i think it was a good deal concidering theres no payment and how good it runs and how long they will last!.. if anyone has reviews on how it does on long road trips, email me or whatever they do on this site

Unshakable. Amazing Reliability
By sir stinky on 01/28/10 23:25 PM (PST)

1991 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon AWD

This is an amazing car! It's got almost 190,000 miles on it. It's been wrecked and rebuilt, has Ford Taurus wheel covers and is missing a couple parts, but still runs and drives just fine. In 80,000 miles and 10 years the only things that broke were the oil pump, alternator, a blown muffler. The O2 sensor took a dump several thousand miles ago, still runs good! Steers good. Handles good. Brakes Good. Transmission works good (but has arthritis now). Keep this car maintained and it will outlast your brand new car.

Bullet Proof
By StealthATK on 12/18/09 15:05 PM (PST)

1991 Subaru Legacy Sport Turbo 4dr Sedan AWD

I've owned my Legacy for approximately 4 years while it's been in my family for 10. The car has been in 3 major accidents with no injuries to us and THAT is no accident. The car is a tank, reliable, and intelligently designed. My only complaint is that it's a gas pig for a 4 cyl. I drive the car as if it were stolen and have owned many other (much newer and "more sophisticated") cars and nothing touches this thing for stability and handling. The car is sure footed and agile, whatever the situation. The turbo provides ample power, and drive train distributes power evenly. I am the envy of all my friends.

Great Vehicle
By Griffen427 on 07/07/09 18:54 PM (PDT)

1991 Subaru Legacy LS 4dr Wagon

Great vehicle - has about 125,500 miles on it, and in great condition. I can get upwards of 29mpg on the car without problem. I have the FWD version.

Loved my Suby
By bullshartist on 10/07/08 18:56 PM (PDT)

1991 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Sedan

I loved this car... finally sold it because it seemed like it was having transmission problems @ 172000 miles -- later found out it was probably just a clogged filter. Only FWD Subaru I have ever seen, but it handled in snow and ice beautifully -- and I live in Alaska. A very steady ride, power everything. I did have to make some repairs -- alternator, both CV joints, rubber door gaskets, new struts, sun visor on driver's side. However, NEVER any engine problems. Always started. Left it parked in -20 degrees for 2 weeks and it still started. It had lots of heart.

One of the best cars... period.
By cliffjumper88 on 04/21/08 22:15 PM (PDT)

1991 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon

My mom bought our Subaru Legacy L wagon used and drove the heck out of it (back and forth to college at least 3 times a week [94 miles a trip].). We still own this car and it still runs and drives quite well at over 350,000 miles. In owning this car for several years we have only had to have it worked on 3 times and have put a little more than 225,000 miles on it. This Legacy has been the most reliable and tough vehicle that we have ever owned. This was the first car I learned to drive and Subaru has been my favorite automotive company ever since.

World's greatest used car
By firstwagon on 04/08/08 19:55 PM (PDT)

1991 Subaru Legacy LS 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought it 4 years ago because I needed a car on short notice and wanted a wagon. Learned to love it because it never lets you down and does everything as well as a new car for 1/10th the price. After 17 years, almost everything on the car is still original and there isn't a spot of rust. This is the car that made Subaru a legend.

unbreakable japanese car
By jhalan777 on 11/15/07 09:59 AM (PST)

1991 Subaru Legacy LSi 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought this car with over 250,000+ miles on it, and despite some idle issues that I have just now been able to handle this car just wont quit, its too ugly to sell, I use it as a back up car, but it starts and drives, despite only running on two cylinders for the last six months!

Unbelievable
By spurlicke04 on 10/12/07 08:20 AM (PDT)

1991 Subaru Legacy Sport Turbo 4dr Sedan AWD

I had been wanting a Subaru for quite a while when I found this one. I got it for $500!! The amazing thing about this car is that the guy who had it before me hadn't changed the oil in 4 years, and it was still his daily driver. When I found it there were no fluids in it at all. No gas, powersteering, coolant, oil, trans fluid, no nothing. This guy told me that he was determined to drive it til the wheels fell off and didn't think that it was worth the money to change the oil. It was a little shaky at first. It was almost like I was bringing the car back out of a 4 year coma. Now it runs very strong. It doesn't look like much, but I shocked the hell out of a v8 mustang recently.