1990 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews 2

1990 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Happy Subaru Buyer
By kris199036 on 07/09/07 15:04 PM (PDT)

1990 Subaru Legacy 4dr Sedan

I just had a brand new alternator installed Friday, July 6th at my mechanic's shop and just drove it home today. Wow! I started the motor and almost re-started it, because it was so quiet!! I thought it stalled out on me! I would definitely recommend these cars to anyone looking for dependable, inexpensive transportation. I've only owned it 4 months and 2 months it sat, due to me having another car I drive. This is my 2nd. It's a pleasure driving this car and they have very good reputations. Very fun to drive. Keep up with regular maintenance (oil changes, brakes,tires, belts/hoses, etc.) and they'll last damn near 300,000 miles. It's not unheard of! I couldn't be happier with my Suzy!

Lasts forever
By torina on 05/09/07 19:52 PM (PDT)

1990 Subaru Legacy LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car brand new for $13,000. I have never needed transmission work, engine work or any major repairs. My Subaru has 300,000 miles on it. I would highly recommend the Legacy to anyone.

1990 Legacy L 4-WD
By '90 Subaru Legacy on 01/23/07 08:20 AM (PST)

1990 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Sedan AWD

1990, first year on the road, it took 13 international records for speed and endurance. It's a wolf in sheep's clothing. Classic, elegant but innocent looking secret bombshell of a powerhouse on just 2.2 liters. Finest car in the world.

195,000 miles
By Aj on 11/03/06 06:34 AM (PST)

1990 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Sedan

This is my second Subaru Legacy. My first had 225,000 miles on it. It had no working heat and it leaked water through the sun roof. But it started in every Wisconsin winter. My current car has 195,000 miles and even though I don't change the oil when I should, never clean it or do basic repairs it runs through everything. I can always make it to a ski hill, no matter how much snow is on the road. The only thing I did was put in after market speakers and CD player.

132,000k miles
By Loyal Suby owners on 06/20/06 19:22 PM (PDT)

1990 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Sedan AWD

We own 2 1990 Subaru's and 1 is our Legacy. Bought it 11 years ago and have been driving it everyday since. VERY reliable and have had very little mechanical problems. We've had to replace the CV joints and the front axle and a couple of sensors. We've never had the clutch or starter go out, always turns over! We've had BAD problems with paint (oxidized) we had it repainted last year, and problems with the PW and PL, cruise control & plastic exterior trimming. Just recently it's been idling rough and looks like it needs another sensor replaced. Check engine light has been on since 80k miles and has started burning oil. Comfortable cruising and the air still works, we definitely got our money's worth!

Reliability up the wazoo
By Matt on 06/10/06 12:54 PM (PDT)

1990 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Sedan AWD

My wife originally bought this car, although I drive it on a regular basis. Not exciting to look at, but the cost to drive this thing is incredibly low considering how amazingly reliable it's been and how few things have actually broken. The air conditioning died about six years ago and the radio is deteriorating. While the fenders are getting quite rusty, it just keeps on ticking.

Couldn't have asked for anything better
By Rstolz27 on 06/01/06 11:43 AM (PDT)

1990 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon AWD

4 years owned, and put over 40,000 miles on it. loved driving it. The thing really shines in bad weather and long hauling thanks to ample cargo room and the AWD system. Very comfortable for its age. Intelligent, simple instrument cluster, responsive steering with good feel and good braking even without ABS. Cons: expensive repairs due mostly to rarity of parts, probably because they rarely need it. Soft suspension and lots of body roll All in all, I'll be hard pressed not to buy another Subie.

A good college car
By Michael on 01/11/06 22:29 PM (PST)

1990 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon AWD

I've driven this car for almost half a year on a couple of long trips, including one through horrible weather. Thanks to the AWD, even with crappy all season tires the car is pretty confident in poor conditions. If you regularly go through bad weather, I would recommend getting the automatic instead of the manual, since the AWD system responds faster. The engine is "peppy" at best, but it'll get the car up to highway speeds just fine. The handling is decent enough, although there is a bit of body roll. Having the extra space in the trunk is a godsend, and the stock stereo is pretty decent (only AM/FM though). I don't have any major rattles, which is amazing for a 16 year old car.

Old Reliable
By bryanh on 11/15/05 09:58 AM (PST)

1990 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Sedan

I have 285,000 miles on my Legacy and still going. As far as drive trains are concerned, this has to be one of the most dependable vehicles ever built.

This car is a dog
By jdcinbend on 08/09/05 03:01 AM (PDT)

1990 Subaru Legacy LS 4dr Wagon AWD

This is the worst car I have ever owned. Sure, we bought it 10 years old, but it took the dealer three months to deliver before he could sort the tranny problems. The electric door locks winked out first. Then the air suspension bottomed out -- a $1500 bill to replace with less comfortable struts. Now it has developed another personality problem in its electrical system ... won't start, unless it's sitting in the mechanic's lot. Finally died altogether yesterday, the day I traded it for a Dodge (!) Intrepid -- for the reliability! This thing is a shame to the legend of Japanese automotive excellence -- avoid it. It'll cost me another $400 just to get rid of it. Buy a Toyota - wish I had.