Used 1990 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Wonderful Car- Happy Owner!!!
By Kasey

1990 Subaru Legacy LS 4dr Sedan

I've owned this car almost 2 and 1/2 years and it's been a pleasure to own and drive! New parts I replaced: battery, driver cv joint, (passenger side needs new one) front/rear brakes, front/rear brake rotors, 4 new tires, alternator, spark plugs, routine oil/filter changes every 3 mos. or 3,000 miles. A Very safe car, too. Needs only a new rear hub/wheel bearing and a passenger side cv joint. Runs and drives smooth, no shakes, shimmy, or vibration anywhere in the entire car! Doesn't burn or leak a drop of oil and has 164,000 miles on her! I absolutely recommend these cars to anyone in need of cheap transportation and VERY long-lasting reliability!!

Engine reliability, super easy to park, comfy seats, plenty interior and trunk room, excellent build quality suspension/transmission/motor, only normal wear and tear, starts every time. I couldn't be happier! Plan on keeping her a decade or whenever she dies, which will be a long way off!

Better quality cup holders, longer and lasting/better built cv joints.

Solid And Reliable!
By Kris

1990 Subaru Legacy LS 4dr Sedan

I bought my baby 2 years ago with only 129k miles on the clock. She now has 156,000 miles. I drive around 13,000 miles per year and only repairs I've dealt with were alternator replacement, front brakes, cv joints and a very much needed ( overdue!) rear wheel bearing. The only thing I really hate about these cars (and the only thing!) are they have rear brake rotors, which are pretty expensive. Anyway, performance is amazing and she has tons of pep for a 2.2L. I change the oil/filter EVERY 3,000 miles and make sure ALL fluids are at proper levels. Keep up with this and routine maintenance (brakes, tires, battery, etc.) and they will last well over 300,000 miles, maybe longer! Great car

Reliability, interior design,lots of power, power moonroof, infrequent repairs, super easy to park, reliability, smooth-running and the fact they NEVER die!!

Better fuel economy and get rid of the rear brake rotors!

A Pleasure To Own
By Krissy

1990 Subaru Legacy LS 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Suzy 3/1/2007 with only 129,000 miles and for a 17 year- old car back then, only 3 needed repairs, I consider excellent! An alternator, driver side cv joint and a front (passenger side) wheel bearing! Almost a year and a 1/2 later and the one repair needed is a wheel bearing in the rear on passenger side! These engines are indestructible! Bulletproof motor and a very reputable and durable car. I highly recommend these cars for anyone in need of cheap, dependable transportation. One thing: these cars for some unknown reason are pretty bad with gas mileage. I also own a '91 Chevy Corsica with the same size motor (2.2 4 cylinder)and the Chevy holds gas a bit better.

Everything! I love my power moonroof, lots of interior room, extreme seat comfort, lots of trunk room, nice soft suspension, bulletproof engine, paint lasts forever! After an accident I had, still runs/drives beautifully! Purrs like a kitten-will never get rid of until/unless she or I die first!

Longer lasting cv joints and power window motors, a stronger a/c and make these transmissions quiet instead of whiny, noisy and sluggish-1st gear is a bit jerky- no problems, though.

Pleased Subaru Owner
By Chris777

1990 Subaru Legacy LS 4dr Sedan

Overall I'm happy with my Subaru. For a foreign car, the transmissions on these are too whiny and very sluggish. Very quiet motor and has lots of power! On highways, I experience a VERY smooth ride. No complaints about this car, really. Subaru needs to make better quality cv boots. I've only owned this car for almost 6 months, so hopefully, I'll have lots of luck with it the longer I own it!

Reliability, comfort, lots of trunk space, courtesy illuminated door lights, has peppy engine for a 2.2 4 cyl., paint durability and nice interior layout. These cars have really good reputations.

Longer-lasting cv boots (axles), cd player should be standard on the LS model, pretty bad gas mileage, whiny, sluggish auto transmission and bad cupholder location (above radio)???

Pretty Dependable Car
By chrissy70

1990 Subaru Legacy LS 4dr Sedan

I've owned my Subaru for almost 6 months so far. The only major issue I had with it was the alternator needed replacing. Cost me $300 to fix, but I purchased a 6 mo./7,500 mile extended warranty with the car, so I was reimbursed by the company. This car drives very smooth, but gas mileage is not that great for a 4 cylinder. My Chevy Corsica ('91) gets much better gas mileage and it has the exact same size 2.2 motor! Handles pretty well. This car has no rust on it whatsoever! The paint holds up really well and it's had no accidents. I plan on trading it in or selling it outright come tax time. I recommend these cars to anyone looking for reliability and comfort.

Roomy, (interior and trunk space) comfort, engine reliability, quiet-running car, starts every time, power moonroof, nice interior and outer color (light blue), I like many features on this car - not enough room for everything!! Love the strong-running engine and the reputations on these are great.

Better cv axle boot quality (they wear out too fast), cd player should be standard on these models, longer lasting alternators, cupholders above the radio is just asking for trouble! (better location) too much body roll, whiny, sloppy transmission, are brake rotors really necessary on the rear?!