Used 1990 Subaru Legacy Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Proud of the Subaru I once had.
By veedubberlover

1990 Subaru Legacy Wagon LS 4dr Wagon

I bought my Subaru Legacy LS in the beginning of 09. I am the third owner. When purchased it had a rebuilt engine at about 80k miles. Though the car had 189k miles. Purchased for 1000$. I put about 3k into it in the last two years. It was in pretty bad shape. But after all that it was a wonderful car. Though last weekend a big suburban crunched the rear end on it. Now the insurance wants to give me 900 for it. Not happening! I intend to get at least two k. About what replacement would cost. I put a good 50k miles on the vehicle and she still purrs like a kitten. May even keep her and see if I can find another to move into and have a parts car! Other than this she has been a joy!

It's a keeper
By Sub-A-Roo

1990 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon

I have the 1990 legacy L front wheel drive. I bought it in 1993 with over 50k on it. I'm at 280k right now and plan on keeping it at least to 300k. It has been such little maintenance that I have no reason to get rid of it. Gas mileage used to be 34 mpg, now it's closer to 28 mpg (i guess it's getting old?) If I could buy another one with lower mileage I would.

Favorite Features

gas mileage is much better than 22 mpg.

It will never die.
By Jed

1990 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon

My mom got the car brand new in 1990 and passed it on to me when she got a newer model. Most reliable car I have ever seen, even major parts can break but it will always get you home or to the garage without fail. The car even sat for 2 years in the drive way with a broken head gasket, never started or anything, put a fresh battery in it and it roared to life like it had been on the road the day before (that was just before I got my drivers permit). You just cant beat that kind of toughness. I have all sorts of stories but I cant fit them all here. It gets 32 MPG runs like a charm and nothing stops it. I may never drive a better vehicle ever. I am currently restoring it.

Favorite Features

Its toughness, reliability, and MPG. It is a beast of a car in sheep's clothing. Bad weather is no problem.

Couldn't have asked for anything better
By Rstolz27

1990 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

4 years owned, and put over 40,000 miles on it. loved driving it. The thing really shines in bad weather and long hauling thanks to ample cargo room and the AWD system. Very comfortable for its age. Intelligent, simple instrument cluster, responsive steering with good feel and good braking even without ABS. Cons: expensive repairs due mostly to rarity of parts, probably because they rarely need it. Soft suspension and lots of body roll All in all, I'll be hard pressed not to buy another Subie.

Favorite Features

AWD Boxer engine, cargo capacity, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Around town fuel economy, rust proofing, body roll, better gear box (hesitant to enter reverse sometimes).

A good college car
By Michael

1990 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

I've driven this car for almost half a year on a couple of long trips, including one through horrible weather. Thanks to the AWD, even with crappy all season tires the car is pretty confident in poor conditions. If you regularly go through bad weather, I would recommend getting the automatic instead of the manual, since the AWD system responds faster. The engine is "peppy" at best, but it'll get the car up to highway speeds just fine. The handling is decent enough, although there is a bit of body roll. Having the extra space in the trunk is a godsend, and the stock stereo is pretty decent (only AM/FM though). I don't have any major rattles, which is amazing for a 16 year old car.

Favorite Features

AWD. Reliability. Cargo capacity. Excellent build quality. Fun to take out for a drive in the snow. Simply put, this is a practical and reliable car. While it doesn't excel at any one thing, it does well enough as a Jack of All Trades.

Suggested Improvements

Gas Mileage - around town it gets pretty bad. At least it takes regular and not premium. The car can get a little small for tall people The engine could use some more power. Some parts are cheap and others can be expensive. It's useful to note that many other parts from newer Subarus fit.