1990 Subaru Legacy Base Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

1990 Legacy Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Sort Reviews by

Proud of the Subaru I once had.
By veedubberlover

1990 Subaru Legacy Wagon LS 4dr Wagon

I bought my Subaru Legacy LS in the beginning of 09. I am the third owner. When purchased it had a rebuilt engine at about 80k miles. Though the car had 189k miles. Purchased for 1000$. I put about 3k into it in the last two years. It was in pretty bad shape. But after all that it was a wonderful car. Though last weekend a big suburban crunched the rear end on it. Now the insurance wants to give me 900 for it. Not happening! I intend to get at least two k. About what replacement would cost. I put a good 50k miles on the vehicle and she still purrs like a kitten. May even keep her and see if I can find another to move into and have a parts car! Other than this she has been a joy!

It's a keeper
By Sub-A-Roo

1990 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon

I have the 1990 legacy L front wheel drive. I bought it in 1993 with over 50k on it. I'm at 280k right now and plan on keeping it at least to 300k. It has been such little maintenance that I have no reason to get rid of it. Gas mileage used to be 34 mpg, now it's closer to 28 mpg (i guess it's getting old?) If I could buy another one with lower mileage I would.

Favorite Features

gas mileage is much better than 22 mpg.

It will never die.
By Jed

1990 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon

My mom got the car brand new in 1990 and passed it on to me when she got a newer model. Most reliable car I have ever seen, even major parts can break but it will always get you home or to the garage without fail. The car even sat for 2 years in the drive way with a broken head gasket, never started or anything, put a fresh battery in it and it roared to life like it had been on the road the day before (that was just before I got my drivers permit). You just cant beat that kind of toughness. I have all sorts of stories but I cant fit them all here. It gets 32 MPG runs like a charm and nothing stops it. I may never drive a better vehicle ever. I am currently restoring it.

Favorite Features

Its toughness, reliability, and MPG. It is a beast of a car in sheep's clothing. Bad weather is no problem.

Couldn't have asked for anything better
By Rstolz27

1990 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

4 years owned, and put over 40,000 miles on it. loved driving it. The thing really shines in bad weather and long hauling thanks to ample cargo room and the AWD system. Very comfortable for its age. Intelligent, simple instrument cluster, responsive steering with good feel and good braking even without ABS. Cons: expensive repairs due mostly to rarity of parts, probably because they rarely need it. Soft suspension and lots of body roll All in all, I'll be hard pressed not to buy another Subie.

Favorite Features

AWD Boxer engine, cargo capacity, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Around town fuel economy, rust proofing, body roll, better gear box (hesitant to enter reverse sometimes).

A good college car
By Michael

1990 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

I've driven this car for almost half a year on a couple of long trips, including one through horrible weather. Thanks to the AWD, even with crappy all season tires the car is pretty confident in poor conditions. If you regularly go through bad weather, I would recommend getting the automatic instead of the manual, since the AWD system responds faster. The engine is "peppy" at best, but it'll get the car up to highway speeds just fine. The handling is decent enough, although there is a bit of body roll. Having the extra space in the trunk is a godsend, and the stock stereo is pretty decent (only AM/FM though). I don't have any major rattles, which is amazing for a 16 year old car.

Favorite Features

AWD. Reliability. Cargo capacity. Excellent build quality. Fun to take out for a drive in the snow. Simply put, this is a practical and reliable car. While it doesn't excel at any one thing, it does well enough as a Jack of All Trades.

Suggested Improvements

Gas Mileage - around town it gets pretty bad. At least it takes regular and not premium. The car can get a little small for tall people The engine could use some more power. Some parts are cheap and others can be expensive. It's useful to note that many other parts from newer Subarus fit.

This car is a dog
By jdcinbend

1990 Subaru Legacy Wagon LS 4dr Wagon AWD

This is the worst car I have ever owned. Sure, we bought it 10 years old, but it took the dealer three months to deliver before he could sort the tranny problems. The electric door locks winked out first. Then the air suspension bottomed out -- a $1500 bill to replace with less comfortable struts. Now it has developed another personality problem in its electrical system ... won't start, unless it's sitting in the mechanic's lot. Finally died altogether yesterday, the day I traded it for a Dodge (!) Intrepid -- for the reliability! This thing is a shame to the legend of Japanese automotive excellence -- avoid it. It'll cost me another $400 just to get rid of it. Buy a Toyota - wish I had.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats. Nice pep in the low range -- quite a bit better than the newer Outbacks.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holders that drape over the stereo and heater/AC controls are a disgrace. So is the clunky electric door lock system. Ergonomics-R-Not-Us at Subaru. The ridiculous air suspension system, fortunately, is long gone.

278,000 miles - remarkable car
By Happy engineer

1990 Subaru Legacy Wagon LS 4dr Wagon

I bought this car used at a price of $ 7,000, ten years ago. Now the odometer is up to 278,000 miles and the engine is still purring, economical... and not a trace of smoke, transmission issues or any old age problem. We had a few repairs including seal replacements, wear parts and gaskets,CV's, alternators (2), drive belts and pulleys, pump (2) and my own recharging air cond - and now a couple of small rust spots appear on side of body. I've been careful to use best test rated friction reducing oil additives. Quite low cost per mile for such a roomy and comfortable transportation? Finally must take it to charity donation -not due to problems.

Favorite Features

Longevity, engine, cost of ownership, roomy

Suggested Improvements

Wish new Subaru's were cheaper today

great utility and low profile
By flurkey

1990 Subaru Legacy Wagon LS 4dr Wagon AWD

I love this car. I bought mine in 2002 with 110,000 miles for $1900. Since then, the only major repairs have been replacing the clutch ($500) and replacing the radiator ($300). Basically, my all-in cost for every aspect of this wagon is under $300 a month and dropping, as its purchase price is spread over more and more months of ownership- Plus, when I sell it, I'll get a few hundred buck under what I paid... hows that for depriciation! I plan on milking this car until 200k. I love it!

Favorite Features

4wd, reliablity, low profile, cost of ownership, storage capacity.

Suggested Improvements

better fuel economy would be nice

will buy another
By Subman

1990 Subaru Legacy Wagon LS 4dr Wagon AWD

This car has been a great truck! That is how I use her, comfortable and economical. She will hold several 4x8 sheets of plywood or lumber of any length,(sticking through the sunroof). She hs only been in the shop a couple times for minor repairs, since new. I will buy another when or if "Sue" ever wears out.

Favorite Features

The hold anything cargo room and when wahsed, looks good enough to take four adults out on the town.

Suggested Improvements

Air conditioner not sufficient for texas heat. Not much get up and go.

The Anytime, Anywhere Most Reliable Car!
By Subi Chic

1990 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

I have had this Subaru L Wagon AWD for 8 years now, and it is by far the best car I've ever owned. Rebuilt engine after 225,000 miles and I put 265,000 miles on it before the tranny quit. By far the longest lasting car I have ever heard of. The car is still going strong, and never leaves me stranded. She drives as if it's still 1990!! I wouldn't drive another car for the world!

Favorite Features

Cruise control, rack on top, softly rounded fenders and bumper, reliability, endurance, smooth ride!

Suggested Improvements

CV joints wear out too quickly (replace every 2 yrs after 100K mi.) Parts are so expensive when they need replaced, make back-windshield wiper better, seems everyone's quits on them that I know of, more durable inside door paneling, and better trim outside of vehicle (it's peely).