Used 1990 Subaru Legacy LS Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

1990 Subaru Legacy Sedan

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

BEST cars out there!!!!
By Girlygirl!

1990 Subaru Legacy Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I bought my Subaru March of 2007, with only 129,000 miles. It now has 172,000 and besides routine maintenance, all they need are oil changes done every 3kmiles or 3 months, along with keeping eye out on ALL fluid levels and condition of all fluids. This car still runs, starts and drives NEW!! All she needs are a driver cv axle and a rear wheel bearing! I couldn't be happier and will keep her until the wheels fall off!!! HIGHLY recommended to anyone in need of dependable wheels!

Favorite Features

Comfort, bullet-proof engine, original transmission, performance and a very quiet-running, fun car to own & drive! These cars NEVER die!!

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders are in a horrible location (above radio!)and make cv joints last longer than only 50,000 miles!!! Nothing else!

Wonderful Car- Happy Owner!!!
By Kasey

1990 Subaru Legacy Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I've owned this car almost 2 and 1/2 years and it's been a pleasure to own and drive! New parts I replaced: battery, driver cv joint, (passenger side needs new one) front/rear brakes, front/rear brake rotors, 4 new tires, alternator, spark plugs, routine oil/filter changes every 3 mos. or 3,000 miles. A Very safe car, too. Needs only a new rear hub/wheel bearing and a passenger side cv joint. Runs and drives smooth, no shakes, shimmy, or vibration anywhere in the entire car! Doesn't burn or leak a drop of oil and has 164,000 miles on her! I absolutely recommend these cars to anyone in need of cheap transportation and VERY long-lasting reliability!!

Favorite Features

Engine reliability, super easy to park, comfy seats, plenty interior and trunk room, excellent build quality suspension/transmission/motor, only normal wear and tear, starts every time. I couldn't be happier! Plan on keeping her a decade or whenever she dies, which will be a long way off!

Suggested Improvements

Better quality cup holders, longer and lasting/better built cv joints.

Solid And Reliable!
By Kris

1990 Subaru Legacy Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I bought my baby 2 years ago with only 129k miles on the clock. She now has 156,000 miles. I drive around 13,000 miles per year and only repairs I've dealt with were alternator replacement, front brakes, cv joints and a very much needed ( overdue!) rear wheel bearing. The only thing I really hate about these cars (and the only thing!) are they have rear brake rotors, which are pretty expensive. Anyway, performance is amazing and she has tons of pep for a 2.2L. I change the oil/filter EVERY 3,000 miles and make sure ALL fluids are at proper levels. Keep up with this and routine maintenance (brakes, tires, battery, etc.) and they will last well over 300,000 miles, maybe longer! Great car

Favorite Features

Reliability, interior design,lots of power, power moonroof, infrequent repairs, super easy to park, reliability, smooth-running and the fact they NEVER die!!

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy and get rid of the rear brake rotors!

A Pleasure To Own
By Krissy

1990 Subaru Legacy Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Suzy 3/1/2007 with only 129,000 miles and for a 17 year- old car back then, only 3 needed repairs, I consider excellent! An alternator, driver side cv joint and a front (passenger side) wheel bearing! Almost a year and a 1/2 later and the one repair needed is a wheel bearing in the rear on passenger side! These engines are indestructible! Bulletproof motor and a very reputable and durable car. I highly recommend these cars for anyone in need of cheap, dependable transportation. One thing: these cars for some unknown reason are pretty bad with gas mileage. I also own a '91 Chevy Corsica with the same size motor (2.2 4 cylinder)and the Chevy holds gas a bit better.

Favorite Features

Everything! I love my power moonroof, lots of interior room, extreme seat comfort, lots of trunk room, nice soft suspension, bulletproof engine, paint lasts forever! After an accident I had, still runs/drives beautifully! Purrs like a kitten-will never get rid of until/unless she or I die first!

Suggested Improvements

Longer lasting cv joints and power window motors, a stronger a/c and make these transmissions quiet instead of whiny, noisy and sluggish-1st gear is a bit jerky- no problems, though.

Pleased Subaru Owner
By Chris777

1990 Subaru Legacy Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

Overall I'm happy with my Subaru. For a foreign car, the transmissions on these are too whiny and very sluggish. Very quiet motor and has lots of power! On highways, I experience a VERY smooth ride. No complaints about this car, really. Subaru needs to make better quality cv boots. I've only owned this car for almost 6 months, so hopefully, I'll have lots of luck with it the longer I own it!

Favorite Features

Reliability, comfort, lots of trunk space, courtesy illuminated door lights, has peppy engine for a 2.2 4 cyl., paint durability and nice interior layout. These cars have really good reputations.

Suggested Improvements

Longer-lasting cv boots (axles), cd player should be standard on the LS model, pretty bad gas mileage, whiny, sluggish auto transmission and bad cupholder location (above radio)???