1990 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
195,000 miles
By Aj on 11/03/06 06:34 AM (PST)

1990 Subaru Legacy Sedan L 4dr Sedan

This is my second Subaru Legacy. My first had 225,000 miles on it. It had no working heat and it leaked water through the sun roof. But it started in every Wisconsin winter. My current car has 195,000 miles and even though I don't change the oil when I should, never clean it or do basic repairs it runs through everything. I can always make it to a ski hill, no matter how much snow is on the road. The only thing I did was put in after market speakers and CD player.

Old Reliable
By bryanh on 11/15/05 09:58 AM (PST)

1990 Subaru Legacy Sedan L 4dr Sedan

I have 285,000 miles on my Legacy and still going. As far as drive trains are concerned, this has to be one of the most dependable vehicles ever built.

loved that car
By subie fan on 03/27/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Subaru Legacy Sedan L 4dr Sedan

My 90 Legacy sedan was the best, most reliable car I have ever owned.Orginally purchased 2nd hand with 110,000 on it, it never needed any engine work, and other than cv joints, it took only regular maintence to get 30 mpg with 258,000 mi.on it. Living in the mountains, I found the power of the engine with the 5 sp manual trans. very good. When my spouse overheated it and cracked the sleeve on cylinder 1 , I almost cried. If the car wouldn't have been starting to rust out, I would have replaced the engine. Sadly I had to part with the Legacy and am still trying to find something as good as it was to replace it.

Most Reliable Car Ever
By bdeoca on 06/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Subaru Legacy Sedan L 4dr Sedan

This car has been the most reliable car I've ever had in that it has never stalled or failed to start in the 83,000 miles I've driven it. The one trouble area has been the axle (front). I've had to replace CV joints often and finally the whole axle. Other than that, it's been great even on long trips through the desert heat with the A/C on the whole time. It's not a particularly peppy car, but the gas mileage is good.

11 years with 1990 Subaru
By yanetoh on 12/02/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Subaru Legacy Sedan L 4dr Sedan

Most reliable car I ever had.Bought it used (12000), and drove my 1990 Subaru for 148,000 of its 160000 miles. CV joints tend to wear and need replacing every 2 years after the first 50,000 miles, but other than that, no major mechanical problems. Brakes squeaky at times, after 120,000 miles, but still good with regular maintenance. Some repair to power windows and door locks late in life.Great gas mileage, very comfortable seats and responsive handling, especially good in rain and snow. I loved my baby Subaru which gave me great service and NEVER, Ever, left me stranded.

Love my subaru
By long time user on 10/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Subaru Legacy Sedan L 4dr Sedan

I have thoroughly enjoyed my subaru. I test drove a 2002 Elantra, Rav4 (99), CRV (99), and my 163,000 mile 1990 Legacy beat the heck out of all of them for smooth and quiet ride. Only a Camry and Corolla even came close. I consistently get 20-22 mpg in town and 30 mpg on the highway.