Used 1990 Subaru Legacy Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

240,000 miles and still going
By blackhorde

1990 Subaru Legacy 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1990 Subaru Legacy front-wheel drive sedan (aka, the Flying Blue Marmot) new in 1990. Almost 20 years old, and still going strong! About once a year, it needs some major (over $500) work besides regular maintenance, but that still beats buying a new car that doesn't get as good of gas mileage (still getting about 25 MPG City). Pros: great mileage, good power, comfortable seats, still looks stylish, even after all these years! Cons: Paint job on the trim hasn't held up, the upholstery in the back window has cracked quite a bit, and the interior door handles lock unless you hold your hand just so when opening the door.

Happy Subaru Buyer
By kris199036

1990 Subaru Legacy 4dr Sedan

I just had a brand new alternator installed Friday, July 6th at my mechanic's shop and just drove it home today. Wow! I started the motor and almost re-started it, because it was so quiet!! I thought it stalled out on me! I would definitely recommend these cars to anyone looking for dependable, inexpensive transportation. I've only owned it 4 months and 2 months it sat, due to me having another car I drive. This is my 2nd. It's a pleasure driving this car and they have very good reputations. Very fun to drive. Keep up with regular maintenance (oil changes, brakes,tires, belts/hoses, etc.) and they'll last damn near 300,000 miles. It's not unheard of! I couldn't be happier with my Suzy!

Starts up EVERY time. comfy seating, moonroof, extremely quiet motors, interior design and good fuel economy. I also love the excellent reputations of these Subarus! Great cars! Well-built. I love this LS model, how it comes with the outer mirrors painted.

Stronger a/c, less body roll and these cars have very sluggish, sloppy transmissions and they're also very whiny. Better location for cupholders instead of over the radio!! How about driver airbags? Make the muffler shields on these cars more durable. They rot out too fast. Make parts cheaper.