1990 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Proud of the Subaru I once had.
By veedubberlover on 03/01/11 21:07 PM (PST)

1990 Subaru Legacy LS 4dr Wagon

I bought my Subaru Legacy LS in the beginning of 09. I am the third owner. When purchased it had a rebuilt engine at about 80k miles. Though the car had 189k miles. Purchased for 1000$. I put about 3k into it in the last two years. It was in pretty bad shape. But after all that it was a wonderful car. Though last weekend a big suburban crunched the rear end on it. Now the insurance wants to give me 900 for it. Not happening! I intend to get at least two k. About what replacement would cost. I put a good 50k miles on the vehicle and she still purrs like a kitten. May even keep her and see if I can find another to move into and have a parts car! Other than this she has been a joy!

It's a keeper
By Sub-A-Roo on 10/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon

I have the 1990 legacy L front wheel drive. I bought it in 1993 with over 50k on it. I'm at 280k right now and plan on keeping it at least to 300k. It has been such little maintenance that I have no reason to get rid of it. Gas mileage used to be 34 mpg, now it's closer to 28 mpg (i guess it's getting old?) If I could buy another one with lower mileage I would.

BEST cars out there!!!!
By Girlygirl! on 01/17/10 10:42 AM (PST)

1990 Subaru Legacy LS 4dr Sedan

I bought my Subaru March of 2007, with only 129,000 miles. It now has 172,000 and besides routine maintenance, all they need are oil changes done every 3kmiles or 3 months, along with keeping eye out on ALL fluid levels and condition of all fluids. This car still runs, starts and drives NEW!! All she needs are a driver cv axle and a rear wheel bearing! I couldn't be happier and will keep her until the wheels fall off!!! HIGHLY recommended to anyone in need of dependable wheels!

It will never die.
By Jed on 01/06/10 16:27 PM (PST)

1990 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon

My mom got the car brand new in 1990 and passed it on to me when she got a newer model. Most reliable car I have ever seen, even major parts can break but it will always get you home or to the garage without fail. The car even sat for 2 years in the drive way with a broken head gasket, never started or anything, put a fresh battery in it and it roared to life like it had been on the road the day before (that was just before I got my drivers permit). You just cant beat that kind of toughness. I have all sorts of stories but I cant fit them all here. It gets 32 MPG runs like a charm and nothing stops it. I may never drive a better vehicle ever. I am currently restoring it.

240,000 miles and still going
By blackhorde on 11/12/09 12:27 PM (PST)

1990 Subaru Legacy 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1990 Subaru Legacy front-wheel drive sedan (aka, the Flying Blue Marmot) new in 1990. Almost 20 years old, and still going strong! About once a year, it needs some major (over $500) work besides regular maintenance, but that still beats buying a new car that doesn't get as good of gas mileage (still getting about 25 MPG City). Pros: great mileage, good power, comfortable seats, still looks stylish, even after all these years! Cons: Paint job on the trim hasn't held up, the upholstery in the back window has cracked quite a bit, and the interior door handles lock unless you hold your hand just so when opening the door.

Wonderful Car- Happy Owner!!!
By Kasey on 08/16/09 14:50 PM (PDT)

1990 Subaru Legacy LS 4dr Sedan

I've owned this car almost 2 and 1/2 years and it's been a pleasure to own and drive! New parts I replaced: battery, driver cv joint, (passenger side needs new one) front/rear brakes, front/rear brake rotors, 4 new tires, alternator, spark plugs, routine oil/filter changes every 3 mos. or 3,000 miles. A Very safe car, too. Needs only a new rear hub/wheel bearing and a passenger side cv joint. Runs and drives smooth, no shakes, shimmy, or vibration anywhere in the entire car! Doesn't burn or leak a drop of oil and has 164,000 miles on her! I absolutely recommend these cars to anyone in need of cheap transportation and VERY long-lasting reliability!!

Solid And Reliable!
By Kris on 02/15/09 08:45 AM (PST)

1990 Subaru Legacy LS 4dr Sedan

I bought my baby 2 years ago with only 129k miles on the clock. She now has 156,000 miles. I drive around 13,000 miles per year and only repairs I've dealt with were alternator replacement, front brakes, cv joints and a very much needed ( overdue!) rear wheel bearing. The only thing I really hate about these cars (and the only thing!) are they have rear brake rotors, which are pretty expensive. Anyway, performance is amazing and she has tons of pep for a 2.2L. I change the oil/filter EVERY 3,000 miles and make sure ALL fluids are at proper levels. Keep up with this and routine maintenance (brakes, tires, battery, etc.) and they will last well over 300,000 miles, maybe longer! Great car

A Pleasure To Own
By Krissy on 07/09/08 15:07 PM (PDT)

1990 Subaru Legacy LS 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Suzy 3/1/2007 with only 129,000 miles and for a 17 year- old car back then, only 3 needed repairs, I consider excellent! An alternator, driver side cv joint and a front (passenger side) wheel bearing! Almost a year and a 1/2 later and the one repair needed is a wheel bearing in the rear on passenger side! These engines are indestructible! Bulletproof motor and a very reputable and durable car. I highly recommend these cars for anyone in need of cheap, dependable transportation. One thing: these cars for some unknown reason are pretty bad with gas mileage. I also own a '91 Chevy Corsica with the same size motor (2.2 4 cylinder)and the Chevy holds gas a bit better.

Pleased Subaru Owner
By Chris777 on 08/24/07 20:13 PM (PDT)

1990 Subaru Legacy LS 4dr Sedan

Overall I'm happy with my Subaru. For a foreign car, the transmissions on these are too whiny and very sluggish. Very quiet motor and has lots of power! On highways, I experience a VERY smooth ride. No complaints about this car, really. Subaru needs to make better quality cv boots. I've only owned this car for almost 6 months, so hopefully, I'll have lots of luck with it the longer I own it!

Pretty Dependable Car
By chrissy70 on 08/21/07 12:53 PM (PDT)

1990 Subaru Legacy LS 4dr Sedan

I've owned my Subaru for almost 6 months so far. The only major issue I had with it was the alternator needed replacing. Cost me $300 to fix, but I purchased a 6 mo./7,500 mile extended warranty with the car, so I was reimbursed by the company. This car drives very smooth, but gas mileage is not that great for a 4 cylinder. My Chevy Corsica ('91) gets much better gas mileage and it has the exact same size 2.2 motor! Handles pretty well. This car has no rust on it whatsoever! The paint holds up really well and it's had no accidents. I plan on trading it in or selling it outright come tax time. I recommend these cars to anyone looking for reliability and comfort.