Used 1990 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Proud of the Subaru I once had.
By veedubberlover

1990 Subaru Legacy LS 4dr Wagon

I bought my Subaru Legacy LS in the beginning of 09. I am the third owner. When purchased it had a rebuilt engine at about 80k miles. Though the car had 189k miles. Purchased for 1000$. I put about 3k into it in the last two years. It was in pretty bad shape. But after all that it was a wonderful car. Though last weekend a big suburban crunched the rear end on it. Now the insurance wants to give me 900 for it. Not happening! I intend to get at least two k. About what replacement would cost. I put a good 50k miles on the vehicle and she still purrs like a kitten. May even keep her and see if I can find another to move into and have a parts car! Other than this she has been a joy!

It's a keeper
By Sub-A-Roo

1990 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon

I have the 1990 legacy L front wheel drive. I bought it in 1993 with over 50k on it. I'm at 280k right now and plan on keeping it at least to 300k. It has been such little maintenance that I have no reason to get rid of it. Gas mileage used to be 34 mpg, now it's closer to 28 mpg (i guess it's getting old?) If I could buy another one with lower mileage I would.

Favorite Features

gas mileage is much better than 22 mpg.

BEST cars out there!!!!
By Girlygirl!

1990 Subaru Legacy LS 4dr Sedan

I bought my Subaru March of 2007, with only 129,000 miles. It now has 172,000 and besides routine maintenance, all they need are oil changes done every 3kmiles or 3 months, along with keeping eye out on ALL fluid levels and condition of all fluids. This car still runs, starts and drives NEW!! All she needs are a driver cv axle and a rear wheel bearing! I couldn't be happier and will keep her until the wheels fall off!!! HIGHLY recommended to anyone in need of dependable wheels!

Favorite Features

Comfort, bullet-proof engine, original transmission, performance and a very quiet-running, fun car to own & drive! These cars NEVER die!!

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders are in a horrible location (above radio!)and make cv joints last longer than only 50,000 miles!!! Nothing else!

It will never die.
By Jed

1990 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon

My mom got the car brand new in 1990 and passed it on to me when she got a newer model. Most reliable car I have ever seen, even major parts can break but it will always get you home or to the garage without fail. The car even sat for 2 years in the drive way with a broken head gasket, never started or anything, put a fresh battery in it and it roared to life like it had been on the road the day before (that was just before I got my drivers permit). You just cant beat that kind of toughness. I have all sorts of stories but I cant fit them all here. It gets 32 MPG runs like a charm and nothing stops it. I may never drive a better vehicle ever. I am currently restoring it.

Favorite Features

Its toughness, reliability, and MPG. It is a beast of a car in sheep's clothing. Bad weather is no problem.

240,000 miles and still going
By blackhorde

1990 Subaru Legacy 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1990 Subaru Legacy front-wheel drive sedan (aka, the Flying Blue Marmot) new in 1990. Almost 20 years old, and still going strong! About once a year, it needs some major (over $500) work besides regular maintenance, but that still beats buying a new car that doesn't get as good of gas mileage (still getting about 25 MPG City). Pros: great mileage, good power, comfortable seats, still looks stylish, even after all these years! Cons: Paint job on the trim hasn't held up, the upholstery in the back window has cracked quite a bit, and the interior door handles lock unless you hold your hand just so when opening the door.