2013 Subaru Impreza Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
You get what you pay for.
By firebladepilot on 08/09/14 05:40 AM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.0i Limited PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Needs more horsepower to drag the AWD system around. Stereo system was so bad I pulled it out after 2 weeks of ownership. Design and quality of the car is above and beyond what I expected in this price range. I have had ZERO problems with my Impreza, the last 4 Toyotas I bought new all had to go back to the dealer for minor problems or recalls, not the little Subaru. Comfortable for long drives and fun on short ones.

Excellent for it intended buyer
By tvtruong on 08/05/14 15:10 PM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.0i Premium PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

We bought this for for the following reason and so far it has been great at it. - Traction in the snow - Fuel economy - Cargo space - Safety rating - Reliability A lot of people seem to have reliability with the car, so far I've had no problem, I hope it will stay that way. It prowess in the snow even exceeded my expectation. With a set of Michelin winter tires, it feel like driving in the summer.

Strengths and weaknesses what I thought they would be.
By lkalliance on 08/01/14 14:08 PM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.0i Sport Limited PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I've had my first Subaru now for over 22,000 miles. After many years on the west coast, I was not used to the level of snow I experience here in Minnesota, and so when it was time for a new car on a budget I found myself choosing between this Subaru (AWD for the weather, decent MPG, bare bones for the rest) and a Nissan Altima (fun to drive, good creature comforts, same weather limitations as my previous Sentra). After over a year of ownership, I'd have to say I got what I expected to get: in city and highway driving in the snow, this is a vast improvement over the sedan I was driving, with reasonable MPG. The interiour is roomy but basic, the creature comforts are poor.

2013 Subaru Impreza is a terrible car
By tammyw4 on 02/21/14 12:41 PM (PST)

This car has been nothing but a problem. It has a terrible ride, gets poor gas mileage and at 24,400 miles chewed a set of tires right off the car. Subaru has to pay to put a new set on becuse it was under warranty. It has been aligned four time, it has had the steering box adjusted and now the AWD disengages in any slippery condition. Subaru is aware of how this car is running particulary with the AWD malfunctions, but Subaru engineering insists that the car is running to specifications. It is a piece of junk and the worst car purchase I have ever made. I have heard of many problems with the 2013's so buyer beware on this model year they are defective.

Falls just short in almost every category
By rallyguy on 01/07/14 07:38 AM (PST)

2013 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.0i Sport Premium PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Bought the car in September of 2013. I was looking at several but decided on this as I couldn't afford the gas bill for the premium fuel only WRX and this car still had the famous Subaru AWD but also boasted very good gas mileage. So far at 6000 miles with largely conservative highway driving I am getting worse mileage than my girlfriend's 250hp BMW. Worse mileage. It feels under-powered even for a 148hp car (the dealer says "it will really open up at 10000mi" lol) and the AWD has not been as advertised. I've gotten stuck and had to be pulled out three times on a dirt road that my old sports car did not have trouble with. This car is so close .. but fails.

Oil Burner
By rpg3 on 10/26/13 19:19 PM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.0i Premium PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Was excited when we bought our 2012 Impreza Hatchback, BUT...we had the car for 25,000 miles and needed to bring it into the dealership 14 times for a check-oil light. Got the run around from the dealership...oil consumption was normal, they were going to change the brand of oil used, maybe the light was defective to just routinely topping it off. Ended up calling a lemon law lawyer who got me a $2500 settlement from Subaru and then I traded the car with equity on my loan. So, I ended up coming out alright, but I feel sorry for whoever ends up with my car or whoever buys the Impreza new. Don't do it

Still undecided
By luvsgas on 10/26/13 02:56 AM (PDT)

After having the car for awhile its not as good as my impressions of when I bought it from the dealership. But it is a very good price AWD car. Buying a Subaru was a different experience. I found out that you will get a substantial better price from a large volume dealer than smaller one. This is how Subaru distrubution model works and the Impreza is a hot car. Our order took 6 months instead of the 12 weeks we were told, but we kind of knew this going in.

Subaru Impreza Hatchback Sedan 2012
By animaeme on 09/26/13 13:23 PM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.0i PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Car was purchased new in 2012. I want to warm consumers that th body is of cheap quality. Just looking at it give it a "dent". The body it like tin foil. The worst is the car is built very low to the ground at 5.6". Small road "bumps" or driving up a steep hill damages under the bumper. Also underneath the front and back bumper damages when parking over curbs. The back wheel guard is even lower to the ground & "hook shape". My car caught on a low curb and bumper partially pulled off. My car is only 1y/o but the body is getting beaten. This is my 6th car and by far it has the worst quality body design.

Zippy car, crappy mirror
By ric25 on 09/07/13 11:42 AM (PDT)

2013 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.0i PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Was very surprised at the performance and handling of the car. Great fun to drive on curvy roads even with the CVT (and I say that as a former Porsche owner). The hatchback model has very good use of space. Can carry a lot of cargo for trips. The hatchback also has good visibility, with no major blind spots. But a couple complaints: The side mirrors are flimsy plastic POS. After 6 months of ownership, fallen off 3 times, broke the last time. As other mentioned, the audio system is horrible. The paint scratches very easily. The car sits too low to the ground, keep scraping the bumper on driveways.

Great New England Car for the Money
By hre1718 on 08/21/13 12:33 PM (PDT)

Traded up from a POS 98 Explorer. Overall, I am pleased with the car. AWD provides great grip. I've yet to hear a tire squeal. Speaking of which, these stock tires are awful. Tons of noise. CVT takes some getting used to. I don't like the delays between drive and reverse. Get the upgraded speakers, worth it. I do wish there were more storage places & hidden cubbies. Sound insulation isn't great, but this isn't a luxury vehicle. Decent MPG if you treat it right. Getting around 34, 70% hwy. The MPG gauge is a little optimistic by a few MPG's. Bluetooth kind of sucks, but its fine for calls. AWD, MPG, visibility and good dynamics makes me a happy owner. Great car for the money.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Subaru Impreza Hatchback in VA is:

$121 per month*