Used 2013 Subaru Impreza Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

2013 Subaru Impreza Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Loved this car!
By katie anthony

2013 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.0i Sport Premium PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I bought this car new and never had any problems. Until I became a delivery driver. The tires cannot handle potholes well. At all. I had to change 3 flat tires. But it was awesome in snow storms. I worked at Domino's and they never closed for ANY storm. The only problem I had was the "anti-lock" breaks. Which would actually lock all the time in snow. But I trusted that car in any storm. If I had not gotten into an accident with it, (totally my fault, not the car's) then I would still have it. I miss it.

Good winter driving
By anonymous739

2013 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.0i PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Overall happy with purchase. Great for driving in snow. Responsive CVT. Handles very well at all speeds and while turning. Nice quality sound from stereo system . Good rear visibility compared to many cars these days. Car does sit too low to the ground, often scraping snow on streets with the undercarriage, and bumper scrapes while going up/down driveways. Hatch is a bit low on space, especially if using cargo cover. Fuel economy stated by manufacturer is overly optimistic.

You get what you pay for.
By firebladepilot

2013 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.0i Limited PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Needs more horsepower to drag the AWD system around. Stereo system was so bad I pulled it out after 2 weeks of ownership. Design and quality of the car is above and beyond what I expected in this price range. I have had ZERO problems with my Impreza, the last 4 Toyotas I bought new all had to go back to the dealer for minor problems or recalls, not the little Subaru. Comfortable for long drives and fun on short ones.

Favorite Features

Handling and ride quality are excellent for this price range. It's not a Cadillac or a Maserati, get over it. It's got more leg room then any other car in its range, and will haul all the groceries the wife puts in it. Very easy to perform your own maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

MORE POWER ! Same motor is in the BRZ making 180 bhp, Why not in the Impreza? Up grade the sound system to modern expectations. Factory Yokohama tires are a little loud, but grip nice.

Excellent for it intended buyer
By tvtruong

2013 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.0i Premium PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

We bought this for for the following reason and so far it has been great at it. - Traction in the snow - Fuel economy - Cargo space - Safety rating - Reliability A lot of people seem to have reliability with the car, so far I've had no problem, I hope it will stay that way. It prowess in the snow even exceeded my expectation. With a set of Michelin winter tires, it feel like driving in the summer.

Favorite Features

AWD, spacious for it size, fuel economy, and price for features. For how much I paid for this car and the features mentioned above, it a bargain.

Suggested Improvements

Raise the car by a few inch. In heavy slow, the car sometime float on the snow because it so low. Ride and seat comfort could be an issue during low commute. The speaker are horrendous. Replaced with a pair of aftermarket speakers as fast as possible. Road noise are constant. The CVT does not delivered on my expectation.

Strengths and weaknesses what I thought they would be.
By lkalliance

2013 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.0i Sport Limited PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I've had my first Subaru now for over 22,000 miles. After many years on the west coast, I was not used to the level of snow I experience here in Minnesota, and so when it was time for a new car on a budget I found myself choosing between this Subaru (AWD for the weather, decent MPG, bare bones for the rest) and a Nissan Altima (fun to drive, good creature comforts, same weather limitations as my previous Sentra). After over a year of ownership, I'd have to say I got what I expected to get: in city and highway driving in the snow, this is a vast improvement over the sedan I was driving, with reasonable MPG. The interiour is roomy but basic, the creature comforts are poor.

Favorite Features

By far my favorite feature is the AWD. I don't have off-road needs, I just wanted better starting and turning during the winter months, and this car has delivered. The MPG is about as advertised. I've gotten a tick below 30MPG through the first year-plus, though during the winter months it's more like 25-26 MPG, and summer 32-33 MPG. Most of my driving is freeway. As other reviewers have noted, the trip computer overestimates MPG. Visibility is very good, with lots of front and rear windshield glass. A very pleasant amount of leg room compared to the cramped sedans I was considering. The instrument console is very basic, which I also find refreshing, though that comes at a cost.

Suggested Improvements

The electronics system is very poor. I could tell it looked so when I first saw it, it felt so when I test-drove it, and it hasn't gotten any better with familiarity. Voice recognition is OK, not great; navigation is difficult to master. I've found the Bluetooth to be OK but I didn't have it in my last car so I can't compare it to others. I had counted it as a cost of getting an affordable AWD car, and the cost was, it turned out, real. Thankfully the benefit has been worth it, though your mileage may vary. The Impreza also lacks good pickup. It is very slow to accelerate, and there are times when the CVT chooses too low a gear to get up to highway speeds.