2013 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews

2013 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

2013 Impreza Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Great!
By gdb85

2013 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Limited PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I really enjoy driving this car. It looks great and I like the features it has. This is my first car that has four wheel drive and it makes such a difference when driving during winter weather. It's amazing!

Favorite Features

I like the bluetooth connectivity and it works very well for me. I also enjoy the seat warmers and the sunroof. I love the design of the car!

Suggested Improvements

The engine lacks a bit of power, with a very noticeable difference when the air conditioner is on. It says a lot about engine performance if the a/c saps enough power that it causes noticeable performance differences.

Good winter driving
By anonymous739

2013 Subaru Impreza 2.0i PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Overall happy with purchase. Great for driving in snow. Responsive CVT. Handles very well at all speeds and while turning. Nice quality sound from stereo system . Good rear visibility compared to many cars these days. Car does sit too low to the ground, often scraping snow on streets with the undercarriage, and bumper scrapes while going up/down driveways. Hatch is a bit low on space, especially if using cargo cover. Fuel economy stated by manufacturer is overly optimistic.

You get what you pay for.
By firebladepilot

2013 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Limited PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Needs more horsepower to drag the AWD system around. Stereo system was so bad I pulled it out after 2 weeks of ownership. Design and quality of the car is above and beyond what I expected in this price range. I have had ZERO problems with my Impreza, the last 4 Toyotas I bought new all had to go back to the dealer for minor problems or recalls, not the little Subaru. Comfortable for long drives and fun on short ones.

Favorite Features

Handling and ride quality are excellent for this price range. It's not a Cadillac or a Maserati, get over it. It's got more leg room then any other car in its range, and will haul all the groceries the wife puts in it. Very easy to perform your own maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

MORE POWER ! Same motor is in the BRZ making 180 bhp, Why not in the Impreza? Up grade the sound system to modern expectations. Factory Yokohama tires are a little loud, but grip nice.

Excellent for it intended buyer
By tvtruong

2013 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Premium PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

We bought this for for the following reason and so far it has been great at it. - Traction in the snow - Fuel economy - Cargo space - Safety rating - Reliability A lot of people seem to have reliability with the car, so far I've had no problem, I hope it will stay that way. It prowess in the snow even exceeded my expectation. With a set of Michelin winter tires, it feel like driving in the summer.

Favorite Features

AWD, spacious for it size, fuel economy, and price for features. For how much I paid for this car and the features mentioned above, it a bargain.

Suggested Improvements

Raise the car by a few inch. In heavy slow, the car sometime float on the snow because it so low. Ride and seat comfort could be an issue during low commute. The speaker are horrendous. Replaced with a pair of aftermarket speakers as fast as possible. Road noise are constant. The CVT does not delivered on my expectation.

Strengths and weaknesses what I thought they would be.
By lkalliance

2013 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport Limited PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I've had my first Subaru now for over 22,000 miles. After many years on the west coast, I was not used to the level of snow I experience here in Minnesota, and so when it was time for a new car on a budget I found myself choosing between this Subaru (AWD for the weather, decent MPG, bare bones for the rest) and a Nissan Altima (fun to drive, good creature comforts, same weather limitations as my previous Sentra). After over a year of ownership, I'd have to say I got what I expected to get: in city and highway driving in the snow, this is a vast improvement over the sedan I was driving, with reasonable MPG. The interiour is roomy but basic, the creature comforts are poor.

Favorite Features

By far my favorite feature is the AWD. I don't have off-road needs, I just wanted better starting and turning during the winter months, and this car has delivered. The MPG is about as advertised. I've gotten a tick below 30MPG through the first year-plus, though during the winter months it's more like 25-26 MPG, and summer 32-33 MPG. Most of my driving is freeway. As other reviewers have noted, the trip computer overestimates MPG. Visibility is very good, with lots of front and rear windshield glass. A very pleasant amount of leg room compared to the cramped sedans I was considering. The instrument console is very basic, which I also find refreshing, though that comes at a cost.

Suggested Improvements

The electronics system is very poor. I could tell it looked so when I first saw it, it felt so when I test-drove it, and it hasn't gotten any better with familiarity. Voice recognition is OK, not great; navigation is difficult to master. I've found the Bluetooth to be OK but I didn't have it in my last car so I can't compare it to others. I had counted it as a cost of getting an affordable AWD car, and the cost was, it turned out, real. Thankfully the benefit has been worth it, though your mileage may vary. The Impreza also lacks good pickup. It is very slow to accelerate, and there are times when the CVT chooses too low a gear to get up to highway speeds.

2013 Subaru Impreza is a terrible car
By tammyw4

2013 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport Limited PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

This car has been nothing but a problem. It has a terrible ride, gets poor gas mileage and at 24,400 miles chewed a set of tires right off the car. Subaru has to pay to put a new set on becuse it was under warranty. It has been aligned four time, it has had the steering box adjusted and now the AWD disengages in any slippery condition. Subaru is aware of how this car is running particulary with the AWD malfunctions, but Subaru engineering insists that the car is running to specifications. It is a piece of junk and the worst car purchase I have ever made. I have heard of many problems with the 2013's so buyer beware on this model year they are defective.

Favorite Features

There are no favorite features.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the steering, the gas mileage, the uncomfortable seats, the rough ride, the terrible steering and handling, the AWD shouold be make to work properly.

Solid machine
By 7hegreat1

2013 Subaru Impreza 2.0i PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2013 impreza 5spd since I cant afford a wrx or sti and while it lacks power I cant complain. It's a solid car, avg mpg I have had as low as 14.1 and as high as 35.6 according to digital read out. I tend to drive it like its a fully built sti wot and wrap out every gear...... On my way to work. It's great in the snow, turn traction control off and you feel like Tanner Faust. Its well ballanced and the pedals feel pretty good. (distance wise for heel toe in the snow clutch feels a little soft compared to the stage 2 and 3 clutches im used to) but its not a sports car. I love the fact my oil filter is on top of the motor for easy access and u dont have to remove any splash guards

Favorite Features

REAL AWD system!!! Do research!!!! Car dosent hate being down shifted ( feels almost as willing as s2000) Oil Filter on top is the greatest idea in the world. It's abilty to out perform almost everyone in the snow. In the snow I tend to double the speed of big suv's and other vehicles with no fear, I also feel like its a gtr at a red light by the time im in 3rd gear doing fiffty I have train lengths on other traffic. It flashes a bunch of lights at me and dosent sound happy but it does it. When sliding it with tc on it makes an awful abs noise with out me pressing break. I get this thing sideways every chance I get in the snow and havent wrecked it yet. Confidence in motion!!!

Suggested Improvements

My biggest complaint other then lack of power is the hand brake is to close to the driver. I can tell it was rhd vehicle orginaly, you moved the steering wheel and pedals but forgot the hand brake. Slightly wider tires would also be a plus. A stronger clutch a tranny to deal with my abuse would also be great. I also wish subaru would quit trying to apeal to the masses and buy back their 14% from toyota. Why when the sti was first introduced to us it was 27000. It now has 5 more hp and starts at 37000. Now that the sti has made its mark and people want it, you jack up the price. You would sell 5x more if you left at the 30 range.

Good Car except for a few details.
By mossman11

2013 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Limited PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Have a '13 Limited Sedan, and agree with others here that the Stereo and Tires are two weak spots. Replaced both on mine, along with the speakers, and the car rides quieter and I enjoy my aftermarket Eclipse unit with NAV after using it in my last car and transferring it over to the Subaru. Otherwise, mine is well made and has no rattles after 8,000 miles. The paint is holding up, no stone chips. A/C good, plenty of heat and the heated seats are a nice feature. The leather, while not luxurious, appears very durable.

Favorite Features

Easy to replace the Stereo, nice '17 rims for summer use, rides smoothly even with the 17s, nice build quality, and visibility is excellent. Handles well, and has good pep on the low end or while climbing hills. Very roomy interior.

Suggested Improvements

Have Yokohama provide a quieter all-season tire as most Subaru owners will not want to buy winter tires. The stock tires are more for summer use, do not have sipes to grip in winter. Offer the Harmon-Kardon audio upgrade. Add a temperature gauge to the instrument cluster.

Falls just short in almost every category
By rallyguy

2013 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport Premium PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Bought the car in September of 2013. I was looking at several but decided on this as I couldn't afford the gas bill for the premium fuel only WRX and this car still had the famous Subaru AWD but also boasted very good gas mileage. So far at 6000 miles with largely conservative highway driving I am getting worse mileage than my girlfriend's 250hp BMW. Worse mileage. It feels under-powered even for a 148hp car (the dealer says "it will really open up at 10000mi" lol) and the AWD has not been as advertised. I've gotten stuck and had to be pulled out three times on a dirt road that my old sports car did not have trouble with. This car is so close .. but fails.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats/interior design.

Suggested Improvements

The heated seats only work one out of every ten times you try them so that needs looked at. The CVT is always confused. Consistently shifts into economy gears while going uphill forcing me to change over to the "manual mode" and use the paddle shifters. Gas mileage on a car like this should be higher. 170hp would be a much better fit for this car. Get more advanced blue-tooth. There is a lot of slop in the steering. Tighten it up. Tighten the suspension. A car this low to the ground with a Boxer engine should NOT have so much body roll or be so effected by wind.

Pray for me! Its winter.
By gboyce

2013 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Limited PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Pray for me in the snow because this car makes me scared. First my wife wanted it. Now as winter approaches the lowness of the car scares the hell out of me. It is cheaply made and its no frills inside feels it. There is also no center arm rest that makes it extra uncomfortable. We have only 8,000 miles on it and the seats are showing bear wear and tear already and we are not behemoths! The radio is bland and low even at full volume and sound quality is bland. Sounds like an old AM radio from the 60`s. It was only bought for the gas mileage and that's been good but not as advertised-nowhere near the 35 MPH. Worried about winter-does not make me feel safe.

Favorite Features

The body design does look nice. Looks like decent enough room in the back. The dashboard lighting is a hard to take red and it looks antiquated. The AC was very good this summer- but had some complaints from people in the back. We have manual adjusted seats and what a pain in the butt- just adds to extra cheapness I feel about this thing. It does handle nicely and has an ok ride but that lowness..cant be escaped.

Suggested Improvements

What is with the front bumper? I haven't parked once without that thing getting caught and sounding like I pulled it off when I back up. I know its a low car but come on. Plus it does not look solid. The car looks ready to crumble if a large enough bee flies into it! You get what you pay for I guess.