2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0L 4-cyl. AWD CVT Automatic Consumer Review - Ru #5, Do not buy

2012 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Review

2.0i Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. AWD CVT Automatic)

Ru #5, Do not buy
By ruman4u on

2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Reviews on Edmunds.com are kind at best. The electric power assist steering definately has a dead spot at highway speed. The problem is once you steer beyond the dead spot, you're starting to over compensate. Edmunds is kind saying it's not a bad first attempt. I say nay, nay....As a happy owner of 4 previous Ru's, I never thought I'd buy one I hate, but I did.

Favorite Features

32.7 MPG is good for an AWD car.

Suggested Improvements

My rating may not be completely fair, but when there's a deal breaker like the steering, it's hard to find anything else redeeming. Too much body roll, annoying whine as the car get's up to speed, little if no steering input, and it gets blown all of the highway if there is wind. The steering makes getting blown around that much worse, as you can't compensate for it the same way you would normally do. I'm actually suprised to see so many positive reviews, as this car shouldn't be a Ru. Unfortunately though, a test drive isn't enough time to sort out all of the problems with this car. Leave this car in the showroom, and buy something else for now.....
By tomwi53092
on 05/29/12 10:06 AM (PDT)

Granted my Impreza is new (700 miles), but I haven't noticed any problems with the wind. I've taken two freeway trips of 80 miles round trip in 20mph winds and it's seemed fine to me. Then again, my point of reference is driving a Prizm. Maybe you're used to better cars.