Great AWD, some annoying weaknesses
By hughk4 on
2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)
Bought this because I needed AWD, but didn't want a truck or an SUV. When conditions make AWD necessary, I love this car. Other times I like it a lot, but there are several things that keep me from loving it. See my suggested improvements for these comments. If you need AWD, this car has very few competitors in its price range. Of the 4 cars I own, when weather is bad, everyone wants to drive the Impreza.
Favorite Features
AWD! Reliability - it always starts and never gets stuck. Roomy interior - comfortable for driver and passengers, even in the back seat. Easy to load and transport 2 dogs or carry lots of gear with the rear seats folded forward. AWD AWD and, oh yeah... AWD!
Suggested Improvements
Heater core too small, doesn't provide enough heat. Of the 9 cars I've owned, this is the only one that doesn't provide sufficient heat during MN winters. Trip computer shows MPG higher then you really get when you calculate it yourself at the gas station. Mud flaps have lots of nooks and crannies that hold snow and ice - again, worst in this regard versus all other cars I've owned and driven in MN winters. Stereo and speakers very poor for critical listening, even compared to similar priced cars. Could use an extra inch of ground clearance. CVT trans is OK but the manual shift paddles (it's a CVT for goodness sake) neither improve performance or mileage so I ignore them and use "D".