Oil Consumption
By csl12 on
2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Premium PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)
We bought the 2012 Impreza after our 2004 was totaled. We also own a Forester and have owned 3 others. We have had check engine, oil pressure, and low oil warnings 7 times in two years. In particular, we've had low oil 5 times within the past 7 months and only 7,000 miles. The car is definitely burning oil. Dealer agrees it's burning oil and is not leaking. It doesn't leak "enough" and is considered to be "normal" by the service manager. As a 25 year Subie owner, I am EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED in the vehicle and Subaru's inaction. I doubt we'll be another Subie- but I do LOVE my 2010 Forester (before the engine change!!!)
Suggested Improvements
Fix the oil consumption problem!
By gailbk
on 03/05/14 07:44 AM (PST)

I have the same problem. I understand that excess oil is escaping between the cylinders and the seal because the engineers designed the car with too much room between them. Look at how many complaints there are about this problem. I also understand that by 2014 they had fixed it, using a tighter seal. They just don't want to pay for their engineering problem and we should all be furious.