2012 Subaru Impreza Consumer Review: Oil consumption - piece of jun

2012 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Review

Oil consumption - piece of junk! BEWARE
By markmine on

2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Limited PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased this car new and it was never abused. This is my first Subaru and the awd was appealing. This car is Very disappointing! Around 14k miles the car started burning approx 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles. Subaru said this is normal! I think the new 2.0 engine has problems. The car also sounded like it had a bad wheel bearing, the dealer said the sound is the cvt transmission and again normal. The stereo system is horrible! The build quality is really bad and at 19k miles the car is rattling and gas mileage dropped to 26 mpg. Don't make the same mistake I made, buy a Honda or Toyota and stay away from Subaru!

Favorite Features

AWD.

Suggested Improvements

Oil consumption is a real problem as is build quality. Fit and finish not as good as a Honda or Toyota. Road noise is excessive. When the car is started with remote starter, as soon as you open the door, the car turs off. Heat and AC not very good, AC doesn't work very well in hot weather. Ergonomics need improvement, for example the heated seat switch is located under the arm rest.
By kranmar
on 03/11/15 10:55 AM (PDT)

I really like my 2012 Impreza. Great brakes, peppy and superb handling. And roomy inside. However, excessive oil consumption is a real problem. Subaru should remedy it, or their stellar reputation will be harmed. No reason why drivers should have to add $9/quart every month!

By fredjohnson
on 03/01/14 21:44 PM (PST)

I have to agree with you on all points. My 2012 Impreza is beginning to really bother me. 25k miles on it and it burns 2 qts of oil every 3k miles now. Yes, the CVT is noisy as can be, but I knew that when I bought it. In winter, my highway gas mileage does drop to 27 mpg which is almost 10 mpg lower than EPA sticker. Overall, I'm dissatisfied with the car, especially after finding out Subaru won't do much to help with the oil consumption other than to say its "normal". And to that I say BS. Never had a Toyota or Honda---I've owned 8 new ones--- burn oil.