Oil burner
By fredjohnson on
2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport Premium PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)
My 2012 Impreza is beginning to really bother me. 25k miles on it and it burns 2 qts of oil every 3k miles now. Yes, the CVT is noisy as can be, but I knew that when I bought it. In winter, my highway gas mileage does drop to 27 mpg which is almost 10 mpg lower than EPA sticker. Overall, I'm dissatisfied with the car, especially after finding out Subaru won't do much to help with the oil consumption other than to say its "normal". And to that I say BS. Never had a Toyota or Honda---I've owned 8 new ones--- burn oil.
Favorite Features
AWD
Suggested Improvements
Be honest with buyers, Subaru. Your cars burn oil and you should warn customers before buying or pay to replace engines and engine parts if they burn oil. Instead, you hide behind some slimy statement in the owners manual telling us to expect a 1 qt oil burn every 1200 miles in a NEW car?????? That's dishonest.
By gailbk
on 03/05/14 07:42 AM (PST)

I have the same problem. I understand that excess oil is escaping between the cylinders and the seal because the engineers designed the car with too much room between them. Look at how many complaints there are about this problem. I also understand that by 2014 they had fixed it, using a tighter seal. They just don't want to pay for their engineering problem and we should all be furious.