2012 Subaru Impreza Consumer Review: Oil burner

2012 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Review

2.0i Sport Premium PZEV 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4-cyl. AWD CVT Automatic)

Oil burner
By fredjohnson on

2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport Premium PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

My 2012 Impreza is beginning to really bother me. 25k miles on it and it burns 2 qts of oil every 3k miles now. Yes, the CVT is noisy as can be, but I knew that when I bought it. In winter, my highway gas mileage does drop to 27 mpg which is almost 10 mpg lower than EPA sticker. Overall, I'm dissatisfied with the car, especially after finding out Subaru won't do much to help with the oil consumption other than to say its "normal". And to that I say BS. Never had a Toyota or Honda---I've owned 8 new ones--- burn oil.

Favorite Features

AWD

Suggested Improvements

Be honest with buyers, Subaru. Your cars burn oil and you should warn customers before buying or pay to replace engines and engine parts if they burn oil. Instead, you hide behind some slimy statement in the owners manual telling us to expect a 1 qt oil burn every 1200 miles in a NEW car?????? That's dishonest.
By gailbk
on 03/05/14 07:42 AM (PST)

I have the same problem. I understand that excess oil is escaping between the cylinders and the seal because the engineers designed the car with too much room between them. Look at how many complaints there are about this problem. I also understand that by 2014 they had fixed it, using a tighter seal. They just don't want to pay for their engineering problem and we should all be furious.

By macj123
on 10/04/14 20:54 PM (PDT)

I have a 2012 Impreza Sport Limited manual and I also have the same problem. I change my oil every 5,000 because of extreme driving conditions and climate and I have to put 1-2 quarts in between oil changes. Ridiculous for a new Subaru! I would expect better quality! Can Subaru be held accountable for this somehow???

By oregonbound3
on 12/26/14 09:58 AM (PST)

I too had a 2012 Impreza. It was [non-permissible content removed]. My oil light went on 4 times over the course of the first 11,500 miles. The warranty information has a bogus fine print that unless a quart every 1,200 miles is burned there is no way the warranty will cover this. The passenger side airbag was turned off driving back from a ski resort from damp ski pants on the passenger. The seat sensors were too sensitive. The clearance sucks, especially considering it's AWD. I traded it in to a Toyota dealership, only lost $500, and unfortunately, somebody else got my lemon. It sounds like those cars in general were lemons.