Not Your Father's Impreza
By lowkey on
2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport Premium 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)
I gave my 2009 Impreza Outback Sport to my college daughter as a replacement. I thought I would go out and replace it with a new one and get the same performance and ride. Wrong. This car travels from the foothills to Denver in winter snow conditions. I don't even recognize it as a reliable snow performer Subaru is noted for. I have 3,700 miles on the Premium Sport and here's my experience. (1) The traction loss fault light flickers frequently in snow and unstable when crossing over 3 or 4 inch snow build up. It gets my heart pumping. (2) Bad manners in cross winds. After 800 miles I was exhausted. (3) The 2.0, CVT, struggles climbing grades at 8,000 ft. I have to put it in 3rd manual mode.
Favorite Features
Average 34.4 mpg! This is traveling between 8,200 an 5,200 feet. Averages 31.4 mpg at 75 mph on interstate. More spacious interior and rear seat leg room. Visibility is good. Nice Bluetooth with radio streaming that picks up Pandora radio on my iPhone as soon as I turn on the car. Rear seats fold down and I can put my bicyle in the back. It's a good hauler.
Suggested Improvements
Improving the stability in snow conditions is a must. Improve body to frame rigidity in front end to reduce lane drift in high winds. Body roll could be improved. Apply thicker finish paint. Minor scratches reveals primer undercoat. Improve user manual for the bluetooth instructions. It's confusing and almost useless. Previous experience almost necessary and the sales people don't like to help you.
By ahq
on 05/01/12 01:51 AM (PDT)

Sounds like the stock tires that come with the car perform poorly in wintery conditions. Reviews on Tire Rack confirm this. I'm sure your Impreza will perform up to expectations if you switch to either winter tires or a more capable all-season tire.

By ruman4u
on 05/12/12 06:33 AM (PDT)

I will continue to complain about this car and recommend to anyone and everyone to buy something else. I've never been a fan of low resistance tires, and is a bad match for a car with too much body roll and can easily get blown across half a lane in heavy winds. The variable power assist steering doesn't help the situation (the biggest mistake they made with this car). The fuel economy is not worth all the problems Subaru created with this car. Ru #5 is most probably the last...