2012 Subaru Impreza Consumer Review: Excellent value, wish there we

2012 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Review

Excellent value, wish there were more luxury and safety options
By gtp3 on

2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport Limited PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Overall I'm happy with this car and it's an excellent value. It's fun to drive, has plenty of space for a small car, and is very practical. But there is also significant room for improvement; I wish there was a way to pay more to get more but Subaru doesn't offer any higher options. When I was shopping for a new car I wanted a small, efficient hatchback, wagon, or SUV with RWD or AWD (I'm sick of FWD cars). Audi A3 and Nissan Juke don't have enough driver head room. Toyota Matrix is totally outdated and just lame. Mini Countryman is unreliable and ugly. So that left the Impreza as the only remaining option. (I would have preferred a BMW 1-series hatchback but they're not sold in USA.)

Good fuel economy. Handling is sharp and responsive with minimal body roll in turns; even though the engine is a bit weak you can drive it faster than more powerful cars. CVT is very smooth and the manual shift mode works well for engine braking downhill. Interior is spacious relative to the size of the vehicle. Bluetooth integration works well for audio streaming and phone calls.

Use stronger body materials to improve some of the crash test ratings. Make the engine a little more powerful, perhaps by adding a small turbocharger. Offer a higher trim level with additional features such as upgraded interior materials, power seat adjustments, better stereo speakers, HID headlights, rear view camera. Add an interior overhead light in the cargo area. Lower the rear hatch door sill to allow flat cargo loading. Provide more storage space for small items under the cargo area floor. FM radio reception is poor, maybe needs a better antenna.