2012 Subaru Impreza Consumer Review: Exactly what I was looking for

2012 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Review

2.0i Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual)

Exactly what I was looking for
By mountaintundra on

2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I haven't been this excited about a car since I had a Citroen CX GTi (in England) in 1982! And the amazing part is that it's a fairly basic car that I love. It has leg room and head room that you expect from a bigger car, comfy seats, decent handling, AWD, and awesome gas mileage (35 average in the summer). It's not perfect, but it does everything I want it to do, including starting at -27F without a block heater and going through snow without drama. Very impressive. This is our 4th Subaru. We drove the competition and there is nothing available that I would rather have.

Favorite Features

AWD - very composed on ice and snow (with replacement tires). Good space and comfort for passengers. (Too many competing cars have protruding head restraints or curved back cushions that hurt my back.) Reasonable space and good access for cargo. CVT - I like manual transmissions, but ordered the CVT for the impressive fuel economy and enjoy the way it works, too. Fuel economy is wonderful for an AWD car that holds so much. Ice melters for wiper blades.

Suggested Improvements

Mediocre sounding radio. Stock tires lose grip in snow, ice, and heavy rain. I always replace tires to handle our steep driveway in our extreme winters, so these tires didn't matter to me, but if I expected to keep them, I would be angry. They hydroplaned in an ordinary rain storm. Not what we expect from a Subaru! There is a bit of road noise, but I wouldn't sacrifice gas mileage for more sound insulation. Cheap plastic sun visors look out of place. Awkward placement of seat heater switches.