Don't believe the EPA ratings
By llcj727 on
2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Premium 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)
I totaled a 2010 Yaris in a rainstorm in early June. It's EPA ratings were 28/35. I was looking to find a car with similar ratings, but also wanted a little better styling. I drove a Civic, Accord, and the Impreza. I liked the feel of the Impreza and assumed the EPA sticker (28/36) would lead me to a overall better car. I drive very conservatively and my Yaris gave me 36-38 mpg everywhere. I have driven my Impreza the same and the best I have yet to yield is 28.6. I have 2800 miles on the car so far. The dealership claims it gets better after 4-5k miles. I doubt it. I feel the EPA stickers on these cars should be lowered in order to not mislead consumers looking for a certain fuel economy.
Favorite Features
AWD, Overall Appearance, Safety are all great.
Suggested Improvements
Either lowere the claimed EPA or find a way to actually get the mileage implied. I feel CVT trans need work. Leaving from a stoplight, it feels and sounds like it skips from 2nd gear to 4th or 5th. Stays around 3k rpm for too long which to me, means it drinks more fuel. Definitely wish cars had a 30-day trial of some sort.
By markrt06
on 09/23/12 01:16 AM (PDT)

You do realize the Impreza is a much larger, heavier & safer car than a Yaris, so the mileage would not be the same. You should compare a Yaris to a Hyundai Accent, not to a full fledged compact as the Impreza is. The Impreza CVT does not change gears since it has none, only ratios are varied. The EPA numbers are not misleading & true to real world numbers I'm getting in my Impreza (mid to high 20s in town & high 30s on the highway). No one will loan you a car for 30 days to try it out.