Used 2012 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

2012 Subaru Impreza

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

I love my Impreza!!!!!
By ryanlongacre

2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

For years I've been driving Toyota's. When it came time for me to buy a new car though, I wanted something different. I found the different in a brand new 2012 Subaru Impreza Premium. So far, it is AMAZING!!!! I've never been excited about a car, but this I'm pinching myself going, "Hey, this really is your car....this isn't a dream." I realize that I'm still in the honeymoon phase, but I do plan to update this review in time to point out any problems or issues I've come across.

Favorite Features

iPod Integration. Bluetooth, interior illumination. The fantastic look of the car. Alloy Wheels

Suggested Improvements

Flux Capacitor

Excellent value, wish there were more luxury and safety options
By gtp3

2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport Limited PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Overall I'm happy with this car and it's an excellent value. It's fun to drive, has plenty of space for a small car, and is very practical. But there is also significant room for improvement; I wish there was a way to pay more to get more but Subaru doesn't offer any higher options. When I was shopping for a new car I wanted a small, efficient hatchback, wagon, or SUV with RWD or AWD (I'm sick of FWD cars). Audi A3 and Nissan Juke don't have enough driver head room. Toyota Matrix is totally outdated and just lame. Mini Countryman is unreliable and ugly. So that left the Impreza as the only remaining option. (I would have preferred a BMW 1-series hatchback but they're not sold in USA.)

Favorite Features

Good fuel economy. Handling is sharp and responsive with minimal body roll in turns; even though the engine is a bit weak you can drive it faster than more powerful cars. CVT is very smooth and the manual shift mode works well for engine braking downhill. Interior is spacious relative to the size of the vehicle. Bluetooth integration works well for audio streaming and phone calls.

Suggested Improvements

Use stronger body materials to improve some of the crash test ratings. Make the engine a little more powerful, perhaps by adding a small turbocharger. Offer a higher trim level with additional features such as upgraded interior materials, power seat adjustments, better stereo speakers, HID headlights, rear view camera. Add an interior overhead light in the cargo area. Lower the rear hatch door sill to allow flat cargo loading. Provide more storage space for small items under the cargo area floor. FM radio reception is poor, maybe needs a better antenna.

Don't believe the EPA ratings
By llcj727

2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Premium 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I totaled a 2010 Yaris in a rainstorm in early June. It's EPA ratings were 28/35. I was looking to find a car with similar ratings, but also wanted a little better styling. I drove a Civic, Accord, and the Impreza. I liked the feel of the Impreza and assumed the EPA sticker (28/36) would lead me to a overall better car. I drive very conservatively and my Yaris gave me 36-38 mpg everywhere. I have driven my Impreza the same and the best I have yet to yield is 28.6. I have 2800 miles on the car so far. The dealership claims it gets better after 4-5k miles. I doubt it. I feel the EPA stickers on these cars should be lowered in order to not mislead consumers looking for a certain fuel economy.

Favorite Features

AWD, Overall Appearance, Safety are all great.

Suggested Improvements

Either lowere the claimed EPA or find a way to actually get the mileage implied. I feel CVT trans need work. Leaving from a stoplight, it feels and sounds like it skips from 2nd gear to 4th or 5th. Stays around 3k rpm for too long which to me, means it drinks more fuel. Definitely wish cars had a 30-day trial of some sort.

A great car, for the most part
By nkrish

2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

When I initially got the car, it was winter and I did get some not-so-impressive mileage ratings which made me think I had made a bad decision, since mpg was one of the biggest factors for buying this vehicle. But it got better in a few months after getting it - either because the engine was broken in, or because it is summer now. I am happier now than I was then. Some minor issues prevent me from giving it an awesome rating.

Favorite Features

All Wheel Drive Good miles per gallon returned in actual driving. Especially on highway, when you keep to about 60-65 mph - you will get awesome mpg, but it is hard to do that when you everybody is driving at 75 mph! I got all weather package - heated seats and mirrors and I love it. I love that I can use the Auxiliary input or the bluetooth input for listening to audio. I love that I can stretch my legs (I am 5'8", but I like my legs stretched almost straight), without cramping the passenger behind me.

Suggested Improvements

When I try talking on the phone with bluetooth, the people on the other never hear me well. It is not an issue with the phone - and I have been on a mazda3 with similar setup and it did not have similar problems. This is annoying, since I paid for this feature which seems absolutely useless. At this price , it should have had the temperature control instead of the manual controls. When I first bought the car, the buttons for changing the time were missing! The panel was installed incorrectly and I had to go back to the dealer to get this corrected. It was frustrating to look at the panel with incorrect time for a month and explain to passengers about the issue with a brand new car!

Best Subaru Yet!
By jcricket

2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport Premium PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

This is my third Sooby. It is the most fun. For a car with small dimensions on the outside, it is huge on the inside. I like the ergonomics of the interior - the dash and steering column controls are easy to use; intuitive. Lots of pep, very spirited off the line. With winter tires on (see suggested improvement below) this car can go places my 4x4 pick-up can not go. Good gas mileage too. It started off getting 30 in town and after breaking in for 13,000 miles I get over 40 on highway/country driving trips. This from an AWD! Its a great car to take to the beach or to the mountains with friends. Two of my friends bought Imprezas this year.

Favorite Features

Fits in small parking spaces. CVT transmission: I have mostly driven standards. The CVT is the smoothest automatic transmission I have ever driven. It holds the car at stop signs on steep hills. The paddle shifters are useful for mountain driving and make the driving fun. Great visibility all around.

Suggested Improvements

Supply with different OEM tires. Mine came with Yokohama Avid S34D. These are the lowest rated all season passenger car tires available. They are noisy and, according to consumer reviews, are terrible on wet pavement and even dangerous on snow. These should never be on a Subaru. You should keep these only if you are planning to use a set of dedicated winter tires and/or you live in a desert climate. Fortunately, they wear out quickly so you will be replacing them soon.