Used 2012 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Constantly Amazed With This Car
By dodman1

2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Limited PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I have 4300 miles on my 2012 Limited Sedan and I could not be happier. I read some of the bad reviews and don't understand how anyone could give this car a bad review. It was very inexpensive and I am amazed by the overall experience. It rides great, handles very well, looks good, has many great features, performs well for it's class, and returns excellent gas mileage. And let's not forget the AWD. Really folks, this is not a $60,000 premium sedan. It is however, an excellent car for a very reasonable price. I consistently get between 33 and 35 miles to the gallon with a mix of highway and country road driving. Buy this car before Subaru realizes they priced it too low!!!

AWD Gas Mileage Comfort Styling Bluetooth Interface

Needs a trunk release button on the trunk lid Satellite radio without Navigation Eliminate the downgrade engine braking

Love my Impreza Sport Limited Hatchback w/Nav and Moonroof
By j_mags

2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport Limited PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Ordered the Sport Limited 5dr with Nav and Moonroof back in March 2012. It arrived in June 2012. Using it as my daily commuter driving 80 - 100 miles roundtrip. I am averaging anywhere from 30 - 32 mpg in mixed driving at rush hour. We actually love the Nav system and it did take a bit of getting used to. (300+ page manual - just for Nav alone - separate manual for the rest of the car!) Enjoy the SiriusXM and HD Radio. Heater / AC work well. Driven over 7,000 miles so far.

The leather seats are very comfortable and I would have like to see them as power options, but it is fine with manual adjustment. Plenty of cup holding options. My tall 14 year old seems to be OK in the back seat. The CVT works well and better mileage can be achieved if you work the paddle shifters well. For example, the CVT likes to downshift when going downhill to employ engine braking, but you can override this with the paddle shifter to gain better mileage from lower engine rev. Good handling in heavy rain and twisty roads. Can't wait for snow! I like the auto headlight / interior display light feature.

I think Subaru could add additional noise dampening elements to make the cabin more quiet. The road noise is not unpleasant, but it could be improved in the next version. I think the heated seat switches should be placed more forward - they are awkwardly at the drivers hip. I want a DIESEL BOXER ENGINE! I hear the XV Crosstrek is getting a rear view monitor... I would have liked to have that as an option on the Impreza.

I love my Impreza!!!!!
By ryanlongacre

2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

For years I've been driving Toyota's. When it came time for me to buy a new car though, I wanted something different. I found the different in a brand new 2012 Subaru Impreza Premium. So far, it is AMAZING!!!! I've never been excited about a car, but this I'm pinching myself going, "Hey, this really is your car....this isn't a dream." I realize that I'm still in the honeymoon phase, but I do plan to update this review in time to point out any problems or issues I've come across.

iPod Integration. Bluetooth, interior illumination. The fantastic look of the car. Alloy Wheels

Flux Capacitor

Excellent value, wish there were more luxury and safety options
By gtp3

2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport Limited PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Overall I'm happy with this car and it's an excellent value. It's fun to drive, has plenty of space for a small car, and is very practical. But there is also significant room for improvement; I wish there was a way to pay more to get more but Subaru doesn't offer any higher options. When I was shopping for a new car I wanted a small, efficient hatchback, wagon, or SUV with RWD or AWD (I'm sick of FWD cars). Audi A3 and Nissan Juke don't have enough driver head room. Toyota Matrix is totally outdated and just lame. Mini Countryman is unreliable and ugly. So that left the Impreza as the only remaining option. (I would have preferred a BMW 1-series hatchback but they're not sold in USA.)

Good fuel economy. Handling is sharp and responsive with minimal body roll in turns; even though the engine is a bit weak you can drive it faster than more powerful cars. CVT is very smooth and the manual shift mode works well for engine braking downhill. Interior is spacious relative to the size of the vehicle. Bluetooth integration works well for audio streaming and phone calls.

Use stronger body materials to improve some of the crash test ratings. Make the engine a little more powerful, perhaps by adding a small turbocharger. Offer a higher trim level with additional features such as upgraded interior materials, power seat adjustments, better stereo speakers, HID headlights, rear view camera. Add an interior overhead light in the cargo area. Lower the rear hatch door sill to allow flat cargo loading. Provide more storage space for small items under the cargo area floor. FM radio reception is poor, maybe needs a better antenna.

Don't believe the EPA ratings
By llcj727

2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Premium 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I totaled a 2010 Yaris in a rainstorm in early June. It's EPA ratings were 28/35. I was looking to find a car with similar ratings, but also wanted a little better styling. I drove a Civic, Accord, and the Impreza. I liked the feel of the Impreza and assumed the EPA sticker (28/36) would lead me to a overall better car. I drive very conservatively and my Yaris gave me 36-38 mpg everywhere. I have driven my Impreza the same and the best I have yet to yield is 28.6. I have 2800 miles on the car so far. The dealership claims it gets better after 4-5k miles. I doubt it. I feel the EPA stickers on these cars should be lowered in order to not mislead consumers looking for a certain fuel economy.

AWD, Overall Appearance, Safety are all great.

Either lowere the claimed EPA or find a way to actually get the mileage implied. I feel CVT trans need work. Leaving from a stoplight, it feels and sounds like it skips from 2nd gear to 4th or 5th. Stays around 3k rpm for too long which to me, means it drinks more fuel. Definitely wish cars had a 30-day trial of some sort.