Used 2012 Subaru Impreza Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

2012 Subaru Impreza Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

One of the bettter vehicles, but not perfect
By nyken

2012 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.0i Sport Premium PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased the Impreza Sport Premium two months ago and have put almost 2K miles on it . In general I am very pleased with the Impreza. The styling is far better than for past Impreza models. The interior is roomy and comfortable.Visability is excellent. It drives and handles very well, almost sport like. Gas mileage has been just about what is advertised. I am getting 30 MPG for a mix of highway and city driving. Now all that being said there are a few things about this vehicle that I am not that impressed with. First is the amount of road and tire noise. It is downright loud on some road surfaces. There is also a delay in shifting from reverse to drive.

Favorite Features

AWD, handling, fun to drive, comfort, styling, room, visibility

Suggested Improvements

Better insulate to reduce road noise. Address the delay in shiftiong from reverse to drive. This can be dangerous when backing out of a driveway. Put on better tires. The Yokahama Avid's are rated very poorly for snowy conditions. Why would Subaru put these tires on a car that is designed for winter driving?

Awesome car, love it!
By cbtx01

2012 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.0i Premium PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I've had the car for 2 weeks, I've got just under 1k miles on it. The bluetooth connection is easy to use with my phone. It passed the "mom" test - she can never understand me on regular headsets, even jawbone. She said I was loud and clear in the car. The front seats are really comfortable, I love the shape of the seat back and the adjustable headrest. Most car seats give me headaches because they dish back for the shoulders and the headrest pushes forward giving me bad posture. This is the first one in a long time that fits me. My husband has plenty room and is comfortable too and he's a big guy. I'm averaging 33mpg as i expected, same I was getting with my civic ex.

Favorite Features

Bluetooth, quiet ride, comfortable seat, responsive handling, mpg and range.

Suggested Improvements

Only thing that was a tough decision for me was that I wanted a light color other than white with a light interior. There isn't one right now. I chose silver and decided to spend the extra cash for super heat blocking tint and so far that seems to do well, as long as I shade the windscreen while parked in the sun. I'd love to see the car in a copper color or a sand/gold.

Love my Impreza Sport Limited Hatchback w/Nav and Moonroof
By j_mags

2012 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.0i Sport Limited PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Ordered the Sport Limited 5dr with Nav and Moonroof back in March 2012. It arrived in June 2012. Using it as my daily commuter driving 80 - 100 miles roundtrip. I am averaging anywhere from 30 - 32 mpg in mixed driving at rush hour. We actually love the Nav system and it did take a bit of getting used to. (300+ page manual - just for Nav alone - separate manual for the rest of the car!) Enjoy the SiriusXM and HD Radio. Heater / AC work well. Driven over 7,000 miles so far.

Favorite Features

The leather seats are very comfortable and I would have like to see them as power options, but it is fine with manual adjustment. Plenty of cup holding options. My tall 14 year old seems to be OK in the back seat. The CVT works well and better mileage can be achieved if you work the paddle shifters well. For example, the CVT likes to downshift when going downhill to employ engine braking, but you can override this with the paddle shifter to gain better mileage from lower engine rev. Good handling in heavy rain and twisty roads. Can't wait for snow! I like the auto headlight / interior display light feature.

Suggested Improvements

I think Subaru could add additional noise dampening elements to make the cabin more quiet. The road noise is not unpleasant, but it could be improved in the next version. I think the heated seat switches should be placed more forward - they are awkwardly at the drivers hip. I want a DIESEL BOXER ENGINE! I hear the XV Crosstrek is getting a rear view monitor... I would have liked to have that as an option on the Impreza.

Excellent value, wish there were more luxury and safety options
By gtp3

Overall I'm happy with this car and it's an excellent value. It's fun to drive, has plenty of space for a small car, and is very practical. But there is also significant room for improvement; I wish there was a way to pay more to get more but Subaru doesn't offer any higher options. When I was shopping for a new car I wanted a small, efficient hatchback, wagon, or SUV with RWD or AWD (I'm sick of FWD cars). Audi A3 and Nissan Juke don't have enough driver head room. Toyota Matrix is totally outdated and just lame. Mini Countryman is unreliable and ugly. So that left the Impreza as the only remaining option. (I would have preferred a BMW 1-series hatchback but they're not sold in USA.)

Favorite Features

Good fuel economy. Handling is sharp and responsive with minimal body roll in turns; even though the engine is a bit weak you can drive it faster than more powerful cars. CVT is very smooth and the manual shift mode works well for engine braking downhill. Interior is spacious relative to the size of the vehicle. Bluetooth integration works well for audio streaming and phone calls.

Suggested Improvements

Use stronger body materials to improve some of the crash test ratings. Make the engine a little more powerful, perhaps by adding a small turbocharger. Offer a higher trim level with additional features such as upgraded interior materials, power seat adjustments, better stereo speakers, HID headlights, rear view camera. Add an interior overhead light in the cargo area. Lower the rear hatch door sill to allow flat cargo loading. Provide more storage space for small items under the cargo area floor. FM radio reception is poor, maybe needs a better antenna.

Don't believe the EPA ratings
By llcj727

2012 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.0i Premium 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I totaled a 2010 Yaris in a rainstorm in early June. It's EPA ratings were 28/35. I was looking to find a car with similar ratings, but also wanted a little better styling. I drove a Civic, Accord, and the Impreza. I liked the feel of the Impreza and assumed the EPA sticker (28/36) would lead me to a overall better car. I drive very conservatively and my Yaris gave me 36-38 mpg everywhere. I have driven my Impreza the same and the best I have yet to yield is 28.6. I have 2800 miles on the car so far. The dealership claims it gets better after 4-5k miles. I doubt it. I feel the EPA stickers on these cars should be lowered in order to not mislead consumers looking for a certain fuel economy.

Favorite Features

AWD, Overall Appearance, Safety are all great.

Suggested Improvements

Either lowere the claimed EPA or find a way to actually get the mileage implied. I feel CVT trans need work. Leaving from a stoplight, it feels and sounds like it skips from 2nd gear to 4th or 5th. Stays around 3k rpm for too long which to me, means it drinks more fuel. Definitely wish cars had a 30-day trial of some sort.