Used 2012 Subaru Impreza Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 46 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Subaru Impreza Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2012 Subaru Impreza Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Oil Consumption
By csl12

2012 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.0i Premium PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Update on previous review (see below).

It took over 2 years but Subaru finally agreed the car was burning oil. They replaced the engine block. Since then it has burned less oil, but still does consume more than I would expect. Still occasionally get other warning lights/sensors that have to be checked. We've put far too much time and effort into a 4 year old car with only 35,000 miles than we should. A real disappointment from Subaru.

As I said in my earlier review, my 2010 Forester has been AWESOME!!!! I've only had to do normal maintenance on that vehicle (fluids, filters, brakes, tires). Subaru got it right on that car!!!!

We bought the 2012 Impreza after our 2004 was totaled. We also own a Forester and have owned 3 others. We have had check engine, oil pressure, and low oil warnings 7 times in two years. In particular, we've had low oil 5 times within the past 7 months and only 7,000 miles. The car is definitely burning oil. Dealer agrees it's burning oil and is not leaking. It doesn't leak "enough" and is considered to be "normal" by the service manager.
As a 25 year Subie owner, I am EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED in the vehicle and Subaru's inaction.
I doubt we'll be another Subie- but I do LOVE my 2010 Forester (before the engine change!!!)

Great AWD Hatchback!
By macj123

2012 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.0i Sport Premium 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great all-wheel drive hatchback!
I would recommend it to anyone who has to drive in the snow, this is built for snow, cold and ice.
I have a manual and my winter driving conditions are very harsh so my MPG is not that great.
Still better than SUV's so I'm not complaining.
Engine has started beautifully in many days below 0, even in the -20's!
Great cargo space, roof rails roof rails are nice.

- Good gas milage for AWD - Seat seats - Back seats fold down flat - AWD grabs and grips wonderfully in winter conditions -Heated mirrors

-Better insulation because there is a lot of road noise - Seat warmers pulse very warm to warm, it isn't consistent. It would be nice if high stayed at one heating temp, same with low - Radio signal is very weak, disappointing for a new car - Volume does not go up that high - Cruise control is touchy - Diesel option for even better milage

Enjoying my Impreza Sport
By jd_24

2012 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.0i Sport Premium PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

15 Monthes and 23,000 miles of ownership and no issues.
MPG has slowly increased to now over 37mpg on highway trips.
Cold weather and short trips do greatly reduce MPG.
Have used it for 300+ mile trips wth 2 adults and 3 kids.
Back seat is roomy and comfortable for 3 despite the small size.

2012 Impreza Sport
By dead_duck

Good car. This is my first NEW CAR so I was looking for it to be perfect. There are a few things that you can not get a feel for when you test drive or search online. Like the fact that being a taller person, it takes a bit of a drive to realize your comfort level would be better with 3 more inches of track on the seat. Also, MPG are NEVER as advertised.

Larger cup holders for coffee mugs. Great steering and responsiveness. Plenty of room for a small car.

I'm 6'2 and I wish the driver seat would go 2 or 3 more inches back. It says MPG should be 28-34 or something. I have never seen 34 after a year of driving. I average 29 MPG with mostly freeway driving. Bluetooth is not easy to hear on receiving end.

Exactly what I was looking for
By mountaintundra

I haven't been this excited about a car since I had a Citroen CX GTi (in England) in 1982! And the amazing part is that it's a fairly basic car that I love. It has leg room and head room that you expect from a bigger car, comfy seats, decent handling, AWD, and awesome gas mileage (35 average in the summer). It's not perfect, but it does everything I want it to do, including starting at -27F without a block heater and going through snow without drama. Very impressive. This is our 4th Subaru. We drove the competition and there is nothing available that I would rather have.

AWD - very composed on ice and snow (with replacement tires). Good space and comfort for passengers. (Too many competing cars have protruding head restraints or curved back cushions that hurt my back.) Reasonable space and good access for cargo. CVT - I like manual transmissions, but ordered the CVT for the impressive fuel economy and enjoy the way it works, too. Fuel economy is wonderful for an AWD car that holds so much. Ice melters for wiper blades.

Mediocre sounding radio. Stock tires lose grip in snow, ice, and heavy rain. I always replace tires to handle our steep driveway in our extreme winters, so these tires didn't matter to me, but if I expected to keep them, I would be angry. They hydroplaned in an ordinary rain storm. Not what we expect from a Subaru! There is a bit of road noise, but I wouldn't sacrifice gas mileage for more sound insulation. Cheap plastic sun visors look out of place. Awkward placement of seat heater switches.