Used 2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport Limited PZEV Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

good things and frustrating things
By Bill Kowalewski-Barrera

2012 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.0i Sport Limited PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

This is our fourth Subaru. We do like the CVT transmission, quiet enough, and the car is peppy. The gas mileage is just what is published. What bothers me? I don't like the leather seats, too cold in the winter, too stiff. With cloth, you don't need seat warmers. In the 25k miles we've owned it, the fog, tail, and headlight bulbs have burned out, and both front half-shafts and the brakes were replaced. The dash has developed an annoying rattle. And twice a year, we need to take it back to the dealer to get the tpms switched between the summer and snow tires. The dealer has to reprogram it. Still a reasonable car, but not quite up to our Subaru expectations.

Favorite Features

AWD and real-world handling (for a non-performance car). Also, the sunroof, although pretty small. We will only have hatchbacks, so we like that too. The Subaru stereo with bluetooth is good, working well with our phones. Dealer is very friendly.

Suggested Improvements

Needs better quality control. Better electrical system. Bring back led tail lights. Get better batteries. Not up to past Subaru standards. Bring the car back to 2011 Impreza standards.

Love my Impreza Sport Limited Hatchback w/Nav and Moonroof
By j_mags

Ordered the Sport Limited 5dr with Nav and Moonroof back in March 2012. It arrived in June 2012. Using it as my daily commuter driving 80 - 100 miles roundtrip. I am averaging anywhere from 30 - 32 mpg in mixed driving at rush hour. We actually love the Nav system and it did take a bit of getting used to. (300+ page manual - just for Nav alone - separate manual for the rest of the car!) Enjoy the SiriusXM and HD Radio. Heater / AC work well. Driven over 7,000 miles so far.

Favorite Features

The leather seats are very comfortable and I would have like to see them as power options, but it is fine with manual adjustment. Plenty of cup holding options. My tall 14 year old seems to be OK in the back seat. The CVT works well and better mileage can be achieved if you work the paddle shifters well. For example, the CVT likes to downshift when going downhill to employ engine braking, but you can override this with the paddle shifter to gain better mileage from lower engine rev. Good handling in heavy rain and twisty roads. Can't wait for snow! I like the auto headlight / interior display light feature.

Suggested Improvements

I think Subaru could add additional noise dampening elements to make the cabin more quiet. The road noise is not unpleasant, but it could be improved in the next version. I think the heated seat switches should be placed more forward - they are awkwardly at the drivers hip. I want a DIESEL BOXER ENGINE! I hear the XV Crosstrek is getting a rear view monitor... I would have liked to have that as an option on the Impreza.

Excellent value, wish there were more luxury and safety options
By gtp3

Overall I'm happy with this car and it's an excellent value. It's fun to drive, has plenty of space for a small car, and is very practical. But there is also significant room for improvement; I wish there was a way to pay more to get more but Subaru doesn't offer any higher options. When I was shopping for a new car I wanted a small, efficient hatchback, wagon, or SUV with RWD or AWD (I'm sick of FWD cars). Audi A3 and Nissan Juke don't have enough driver head room. Toyota Matrix is totally outdated and just lame. Mini Countryman is unreliable and ugly. So that left the Impreza as the only remaining option. (I would have preferred a BMW 1-series hatchback but they're not sold in USA.)

Favorite Features

Good fuel economy. Handling is sharp and responsive with minimal body roll in turns; even though the engine is a bit weak you can drive it faster than more powerful cars. CVT is very smooth and the manual shift mode works well for engine braking downhill. Interior is spacious relative to the size of the vehicle. Bluetooth integration works well for audio streaming and phone calls.

Suggested Improvements

Use stronger body materials to improve some of the crash test ratings. Make the engine a little more powerful, perhaps by adding a small turbocharger. Offer a higher trim level with additional features such as upgraded interior materials, power seat adjustments, better stereo speakers, HID headlights, rear view camera. Add an interior overhead light in the cargo area. Lower the rear hatch door sill to allow flat cargo loading. Provide more storage space for small items under the cargo area floor. FM radio reception is poor, maybe needs a better antenna.

Caveat Subaru
By ideafarmer

First tank: 17mpg, second tank: 22mpg. Third tank ave 24.3 so far. Mileage 600 ish with 65% city and 35% highway. Hoping for higher. Tire noise quite loud. Doors very thin and light. Long shift delay from reverse to drive when cold, puts passengers at risk. Subaru says it’s “normal” essentially placing blame with owner. Tilts in crosswinds at 65mph. Leans too much in corners, but still feels predictable. Overall handling is good. Ride is supple. Brakes feel mushy but work fine. Steering is too heavy at all speeds. Paddle shifting with CVT works well.

Favorite Features

Suspension. Looks with Sport wheels. Paddle shifting. Heated seats. Rear leg room.

Suggested Improvements

Beef up doors so I don't worry about my kid every time we drive this car. Beef up the anti-roll bars so it doesn't lean so easily in the wind and when entering turns. Get rid of shift delay so I don't worry about someone hitting us while I'm trying to get out of the way. Insulate doors and wheel wells so the roar of the tires and wind doesn't make driving this car so exhausting. Increase hp and torque 5-10%. Since it's not safe or efficient it might as well be faster.

Just Delighted!
By djhcwctr

Just ooh delivery of my Impreza Sport Limited. I've been a diehard stick-shift driver, but have found the CVT really zippy and fun to drive. I commute 50 miles in each direction, nearly all highway. Out of the box, I've consistently been getting an average 37-38 MPG. Sometimes the average momentarily settles over 40! Inside finishes are great. My only complaint is that road noise is noticeable. Extremely happy with my purchase. SO glad I didn't get an prius!