Used 2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Limited PZEV Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

2012 Subaru Impreza Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Very Disappointed
By greg1971

2012 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.0i Limited PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased my car in February of 2012. Like a lot of other users I noted that my oil usage was terrible. On January 6, 2015 I was in a serious car accident in which I struck the rear end of a truck. My airbags did not deploy and the vehicle immediately caught fire after impact. I am very lucky to be alive, but cannot get any kind of straight answer from Subaru as to why the airbags failed and why a fire started, nor have they expressed any interest in examining the car further.

Favorite Features

Very well equipped for the price.

Suggested Improvements

Oil consumption was a concern from my first oil change. The issues outlined with the airbags and fire, and the lack of interest expressed by Subaru is of very significant concern. I have taken my business to another vehicle manufacturer.

Major Things Great, Some Minor Things Not, OUTRAGEOUS SOUND SYSTEM RESTRICTIONS
By rickrobin

A very different kind of car to drive, esp with the CVT. But once you get used to it, you can make it do whatever you want, with your foot, or the shifter paddles on the steering wheel. There are some ergonomics and tire/wind/vent noise problems, though. And-ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE-YOU CANNOT USE THE TONE CONTROLS WHEN THE CAR IS MOVING, nor turn on/off HD radio, nor use speed dial presets. When did Subaru replace the legislatures in this country? Meanwhile, the poorly placed front cup holders are far more dangerous. Subaru's answer to that? Manual pg. 6-6: Don't use them when the car is moving! Inconsistent, self-serving, outrageous.

Favorite Features

A Swiss Army Knife of a car! Handling, comfort, economy, practicality. Handles like a sports car, with a firm but comfy ride, and ample room for 4 full size adults. Rear seats fold FLAT, and cargo space is excellent. And the Subaru AWD system is nothing short of a revelation! The best feature-maybe the best one ever on a shiftable automatic-is that you can leave it in Drive (as against full manual mode), and still use the paddles to downshift for engine braking, or an instant burst of speed, and then the trans just returns to Drive! The only time I have ever owned an auto trans car before was when a standard wasn't available, yet I don't miss the shifter. That's how much fun this thing is!

Suggested Improvements

Radios should be optional, or at least a reasonable choice provided. This arbitrary, self-serving usurpation of power to restrict liberties and choices of the public must to be stopped, and I am pursuing this. Otherwise, sound deadening material or whatever is needed to quiet excess tire, wind, wheel well noise. The shifter needs to be moved or shrunk to make room for sensibly placed cup holders, & more usable console storage. The seats, while very comfortable, need somewhat less aggressive side bolsters, and the driver's door control console needs to be reshaped and softened so it doesn't hurt your knee in some positions. Subaru is petty about extras that should be standard in Prem. & LTD.