Used 2012 Subaru Impreza Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Subaru Impreza Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Loved it at First, Then........
By Joe Botelho

2012 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.0i Sport Premium PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I was looking for small, all wheel drive car, specifically a hatchback, that would accommodate my 6 foot frame comfortably and the Impreza Sport Premium fit the bill nicely. The car is fun to drive, has as much pep as I'm ever going to need on the windy roads of New England and was very serviceable in the rain and snow. I never had an issue with the car, but did have to replace the standard issue tires at only 21,000 miles. Also at that time the front driver seat seemed to wear more than I would consider normal and I probably should have paid attention to that. The car now has 43,000 miles on it and one day the horn just stopped working. Also, there is a massive hole in the front drivers seat with protruding metal and plastic parts which have already ruined two aftermarket seat covers. I never owned a vehicle where the front seat was essentially useless after 40,000 miles?? Recently, I was passing the dealership where I bought the vehicle, and stopped in to see if there was a recall regarding the front seat. Oddly, all the service rep kept saying was "Do you have an appointment?" He repeated that 5 times, when I finally suggested that I am a human being, not a robot. After the whole disinterested event where they pretty much told me "tough luck and seeya later" I decided to take my car to another dealership to get the horn fixed. And I thought it couldn't get any worse. I called the other dealership, got an "appointment" a few days later for them to check out the horn. While he was writing up the service order he explained that they also offer a "complimentary" car wash, which I declined as I wash my own vehicle. While I was at the service desk, I also mentioned that I felt my front seat was falling apart prematurely and if they would check it out......, and was totally ignored. To add insult to injury, after they checked out my car they said it needed a new "steering roll connector" to the tune of $415.00!! For a horn! I declined the their generous offer and they still charged me $55.00 to check it out. I should have taken them up on the "complimentary" car wash. And just when you think it couldn't get any worse? As I am walking out to my car, I noticed a huge scrape on the corner of the front bumper. I went back in tell them about it and they suggested It was already there and that I was lying!!! I had taken a picture of the car earlier in the day to document my seat issues so I pulled out my camera phone and showed them a picture I had taken hours earlier with no scrape. They still suggested I was making it up!! I have never been more humiliated in my life! I loved this car at first but between its quality and support of its service outlets I will move on to another brand.....soon.

My experience with my 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport
By Loren Rochester

I was very excited to get this car... good gas mileage and All-Wheel drive seemed like a perfect fit for Wisconsin. I liked everything about the car except three things: 1) The transmission went out at 66,000 miles, 6000 miles out of warranty. The dealership told me it would cost $8500 to replace it with a new one, or they could put a used one in for $4500. I called Subaru Corporate and after three days of investigation, they said it was up to the service manager. I went to the dealership and raised hell. Virtually all of my miles were interstate travel with very little elevation change, no stop and start traffic. After some phone calls, the service manager got the price down to $1500 for a new transmission. I was still mad, but didn't feel I had much choice; $1500 was better than $8500, and I still had to make payments on the vehicle. 2) I was surprised one day when the oil light came on early in my ownership. The car didn't have that many miles on it. The car was, in fact, low on oil. From that point forward, I went through a quart of Mobile 1 0W20 about every 3000 miles. I checked it every time I filled it up. I am over 60, and have never had a car that went through a quart of oil between oil changes. Recommended oil changes were 7000 miles with synthetic oil. The dealership wanted $85 for an oil change. I bought Subaru filters from the dealership for $5-$6, and bought Mobile 1 0W20 from Walmart for about $26 for a 5 quart jug, and changed the oil myself religiously every 7000 miles. I just traded the car in, three years old, and it was going through a quart of oil every 2000 miles. I had this problem when the transmission went out, and talked to the service manager about it. He did not act the least bit surprised. BTW, if you buy quarts of Mobile 1 synthetic, they are about $8 a quart, so this is not paltry change being spent on oil, I obviously bought 5 quart jugs and had them on hand all of the time. 3) For about the last 9-12 months, the car did not start very well. I usually had to crank it for a few seconds, quit, then crank it some more with the gas pedal pressed down, then it would start. The oil thing and the starting thing I have found are common complaints. I traded the Impreza in on a Ford Focus. I put about 33,000 miles on a car per year, and the Impreza had 99,920 miles on it. This is the first time in decades that I got rid of a car with fewer than 170,000-180,000 miles on it. I didn't trust it. I'm not sure that the Focus will be any better, but I got a 4 yr.-100,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty on it. I'm sure it won't be as good in the snow, but I can work around that. IMHO opinion, Subaru should have replaced the transmission gratis. Using the 0W20 oil is not a good idea in my opinion. They are doing it to improve gas mileage, but I think it is blowing past the pistons. The Focus uses 5W20. As far as starting difficulties goes, I don't have a clue what the problem is. If they would have taken care of the transmission and they had proven that they had solved the oil thing, I would have considered another Subaru. This was my first, and there seems to be a lot of loyal Subaru owners out there, but I will probably not consider another.

good things and frustrating things
By Bill Kowalewski-Barrera

2012 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.0i Sport Limited PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

This is our fourth Subaru. We do like the CVT transmission, quiet enough, and the car is peppy. The gas mileage is just what is published. What bothers me? I don't like the leather seats, too cold in the winter, too stiff. With cloth, you don't need seat warmers. In the 25k miles we've owned it, the fog, tail, and headlight bulbs have burned out, and both front half-shafts and the brakes were replaced. The dash has developed an annoying rattle. And twice a year, we need to take it back to the dealer to get the tpms switched between the summer and snow tires. The dealer has to reprogram it. Still a reasonable car, but not quite up to our Subaru expectations.

AWD and real-world handling (for a non-performance car). Also, the sunroof, although pretty small. We will only have hatchbacks, so we like that too. The Subaru stereo with bluetooth is good, working well with our phones. Dealer is very friendly.

Needs better quality control. Better electrical system. Bring back led tail lights. Get better batteries. Not up to past Subaru standards. Bring the car back to 2011 Impreza standards.

Very Disappointed
By greg1971

2012 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.0i Limited PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased my car in February of 2012. Like a lot of other users I noted that my oil usage was terrible. On January 6, 2015 I was in a serious car accident in which I struck the rear end of a truck. My airbags did not deploy and the vehicle immediately caught fire after impact. I am very lucky to be alive, but cannot get any kind of straight answer from Subaru as to why the airbags failed and why a fire started, nor have they expressed any interest in examining the car further.

Very well equipped for the price.

Oil consumption was a concern from my first oil change. The issues outlined with the airbags and fire, and the lack of interest expressed by Subaru is of very significant concern. I have taken my business to another vehicle manufacturer.

Overall good car but issues with tires, oil light
By thebeann

2012 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.0i Sport Premium 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I bought a 2012 Subaru Impreza sport (wagon) new. Loved the cargo room (I have 2 60-lb dogs) and nice, smooth ride. Gas mileage is decent, I travel VA to MI every month and it helps. However, right from the get-go I had issues with one of the Yokahama tires. TPS kept coming on and pressure was definitely going down. Dealer said "tire issue, can't help" while tire place said "dealer issue." Finally had to replace all 4 at 10,000 miles. The other issue is oil level light coming on (started at around 30,000 miles). Known issue with this make/model on excessive oil issue (google it, there is a lawsuit). Overall I am 75% satisfied but the other 25% make for disappointment.

Cargo room/hatchback; bluetooth for music, podcasts is good. Comfortable ride. Cruise Control is pretty decent (not much fluctuation in MPH going up/down hill, which I did have with my last car).

Known issue with excessive oil use. My low level indicator comes on consistently around 3000-3500 miles even though recommendation from Subaru is oil change every 7500 miles. Tire issues right from the get go and no responsibility taken by dealership.