Used 2012 Subaru Impreza Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 46 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Subaru Impreza Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Bad Engine/ CVT
By Mark webster

2012 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.0i Sport Premium 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

It's a o.k. car, wouldn't buy another. Problems with the boxer engine, burns oil. Transmission is weird, brakes when coasting down hill. Outside of car easy to dent, thin metal. Very loud when driving, turn up the tunes. Just had a wheel bearing and the front brakes replaced, cost about $900, so repairs are not cheap. What I do like is that the seats are easy on the back, corners well, and good speakers.

2012 Subaru Impressa
By david watts

2012 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.0i PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a very reliable and likable car. One owner, regular maintenance, mostly freeway driving. Looks fine. Never been in the shop for unscheduled maintenance.

Not What I expected in a Subaru
By Bob

2012 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.0i 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for 4 short years and am very disappointed in this vehicle, already back for 3 recalls, and 3 times back to dealership for warning light problems. The car is noisy inside when traveling a highway, made rather cheaply as I have already lost one of the fog light covers, it just fell off, too low to the ground as you feel each bump and very hard to drive through snow as the car bottoms out on the snow. A/c doesn't get car cooled enough in Summer heat. Already have a hole in driver seat because of metal inside the seat, dealer won't even acknowledge it. The shift got stuck in park and won't go into reverse or drive until I took a screwdriver and pushed it into the emergency release switch. Bringing the car back in once again next week for warning lights and now the shift. Would not buy Subaru again

I Hate This Car
By Stephanie

2012 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.0i Sport Premium PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I had a used 2005 Subaru Legacy that I LOVED but it died (I put a lot of miles of cars quickly because of my commute.)

I thought I'd be replacing it with something of similar quality when I bought the 2012 Subaru Impreza slightly used with 25k miles. I decided to spend the money on a newer car because of this.

First of all, I got into a slowww speed fender bender where the front of my car has all kinds of damage and cracks--the other persons car didn't have even a slight dent or scratch. You'd never know their car was hit and they drove away without my info after surveying the damage-- I think it was a Honda.

Also, I drove over a small piece of loose metal laying on the highway which I didn't recognize as something solid until it was too late and it tore up my back bumper as it exited. I realize things like this happen but the amount of damage is way out of proportion. Most vehicles I see have a plate in that area to protect the underside. This Subaru back bumper is nothing but curved under, thin, cheap plastic.

Second, this thing burns oil. Imagine my surprise when I was something like 4k miles away from the recommended oil change and my oil light came on.

Thirdly, I have never gotten anywhere close to the estimated MPG. I drive at constant highway speeds. My legacy got the same, if not better, gas mileage and the engine had a lot more strength.

Fourth, at 73k miles the engine is now making a low, stressed whining sound with acceleration. I had my transmission serviced at the recommended 60k miles. But now I'm wondering if it's going out.

I am fixing the damage to the front and getting rid of this thing before it falls apart completely.

Burns Lots of Oil and Gas
By Kirk Kraemer

Lawsuit has been settled and Subaru finally agreed that maybe I should not have to add a quart of $8 oil every 2200 miles. Car has about 118,000 miles and has burned oil excessively the entire time (dealer: "it's normal oil burn to go through a quart in as little as 1200 miles). Class action settlement extends warranty for 1 year for cars that are already in excess of 100,000 miles.

Specifically traded in my previous Subaru to get the 2012 because of the 37mpg highway on the sticker. I NEVER EVER got over 31 mpg and I drive mostly flat highway with constant speeds. Total BS on the 37mpg.