2012 Subaru Impreza Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
Overall good car but issues with tires, oil light
By thebeann on 09/22/14 09:12 AM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.0i Sport Premium 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I bought a 2012 Subaru Impreza sport (wagon) new. Loved the cargo room (I have 2 60-lb dogs) and nice, smooth ride. Gas mileage is decent, I travel VA to MI every month and it helps. However, right from the get-go I had issues with one of the Yokahama tires. TPS kept coming on and pressure was definitely going down. Dealer said "tire issue, can't help" while tire place said "dealer issue." Finally had to replace all 4 at 10,000 miles. The other issue is oil level light coming on (started at around 30,000 miles). Known issue with this make/model on excessive oil issue (google it, there is a lawsuit). Overall I am 75% satisfied but the other 25% make for disappointment.

Oil Burner, MPG not as advertised
By movingon1 on 03/14/14 20:45 PM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.0i Sport Premium PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the hatchback with a manual because I was looking for versatility with good mileage. Functionality wise, I'm happy. I'm 6'2" and the car is comfortable on long road trips and you can fit a surprising amount of stuff in the back, especially with the seats down. Also, the car is amazing in the snow. BUT- as others mentioned, the car has started burning oil at 30,000 miles! Almost 2 quarts between oil changes. Add to that the well known not-as-advertised MPG, and I am thinking about trading it in. I have logged every single tank on Fuelly. In the winter, 22 city, 27 highway. In the summer, 25 city 30 highway. It's rare to do better than 30 on the highway, but I drive 70-75.

Oil consumption problem
By gailbk on 03/05/14 06:17 AM (PST)

2012 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.0i Limited 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I am experiencing a significant problem with my Subaru Impreza 2012 with excessive use of oil and the oil light going on. I understand from the service people that this is caused by "blowback" past the cylinders, causing excessive oil use, inconvenience to owners, and an inflated cost of ownership (synthetic oil is $8/qt.) Subaru insists this is normal but when I traded in my Lexus at 257,000 miles with never an additional drop of oil between oil changes, I certainly didn't expect to trade it in for an oil guzzler like the Subaru Impreza. Subaru will do nothing and insists this is normal - - at least for them! Any ideas how to pressure Subaru? It was fixed for the 2014 model.

Oil burner
By fredjohnson on 03/01/14 21:50 PM (PST)

2012 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.0i Sport Premium PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

My 2012 Impreza is beginning to really bother me. 25k miles on it and it burns 2 qts of oil every 3k miles now. Yes, the CVT is noisy as can be, but I knew that when I bought it. In winter, my highway gas mileage does drop to 27 mpg which is almost 10 mpg lower than EPA sticker. Overall, I'm dissatisfied with the car, especially after finding out Subaru won't do much to help with the oil consumption other than to say its "normal". And to that I say BS. Never had a Toyota or Honda---I've owned 8 new ones--- burn oil.

Exactly what you're expecting
By iliketoshift on 01/12/14 17:35 PM (PST)

2012 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.0i Premium PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I think that most people know why they are buying a subaru. I'm not going to recount the obvious pluses and minuses, but after 20 months of ownership, I'll mention the small things that stick out.

Oil Consumption
By csl12 on 01/03/14 14:20 PM (PST)

2012 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.0i Premium PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought the 2012 Impreza after our 2004 was totaled. We also own a Forester and have owned 3 others. We have had check engine, oil pressure, and low oil warnings 7 times in two years. In particular, we've had low oil 5 times within the past 7 months and only 7,000 miles. The car is definitely burning oil. Dealer agrees it's burning oil and is not leaking. It doesn't leak "enough" and is considered to be "normal" by the service manager. As a 25 year Subie owner, I am EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED in the vehicle and Subaru's inaction. I doubt we'll be another Subie- but I do LOVE my 2010 Forester (before the engine change!!!)

Great AWD Hatchback!
By macj123 on 12/30/13 12:05 PM (PST)

2012 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.0i Sport Premium 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great all-wheel drive hatchback! I would recommend it to anyone who has to drive in the snow, this is built for snow, cold and ice. I have a manual and my winter driving conditions are very harsh so my MPG is not that great. Still better than SUV's so I'm not complaining. Engine has started beautifully in many days below 0, even in the -20's! Great cargo space, roof rails roof rails are nice.

Enjoying my Impreza Sport
By jd_24 on 06/05/13 09:20 AM (PDT)

15 Monthes and 23,000 miles of ownership and no issues. MPG has slowly increased to now over 37mpg on highway trips. Cold weather and short trips do greatly reduce MPG. Have used it for 300+ mile trips wth 2 adults and 3 kids. Back seat is roomy and comfortable for 3 despite the small size.

2012 Impreza Sport
By dead_duck on 05/06/13 10:39 AM (PDT)

Good car. This is my first NEW CAR so I was looking for it to be perfect. There are a few things that you can not get a feel for when you test drive or search online. Like the fact that being a taller person, it takes a bit of a drive to realize your comfort level would be better with 3 more inches of track on the seat. Also, MPG are NEVER as advertised.

Exactly what I was looking for
By mountaintundra on 02/12/13 13:21 PM (PST)

I haven't been this excited about a car since I had a Citroen CX GTi (in England) in 1982! And the amazing part is that it's a fairly basic car that I love. It has leg room and head room that you expect from a bigger car, comfy seats, decent handling, AWD, and awesome gas mileage (35 average in the summer). It's not perfect, but it does everything I want it to do, including starting at -27F without a block heater and going through snow without drama. Very impressive. This is our 4th Subaru. We drove the competition and there is nothing available that I would rather have.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Subaru Impreza Hatchback in VA is:

$113 per month*