Used 2012 Subaru Impreza Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 43 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Subaru Impreza Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2012 Subaru Impreza Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

I Hate This Car
By Stephanie

2012 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.0i Sport Premium PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I had a used 2005 Subaru Legacy that I LOVED but it died (I put a lot of miles of cars quickly because of my commute.)

I thought I'd be replacing it with something of similar quality when I bought the 2012 Subaru Impreza slightly used with 25k miles. I decided to spend the money on a newer car because of this.

First of all, I got into a slowww speed fender bender where the front of my car has all kinds of damage and cracks--the other persons car didn't have even a slight dent or scratch. You'd never know their car was hit and they drove away without my info after surveying the damage-- I think it was a Honda.

Also, I drove over a small piece of loose metal laying on the highway which I didn't recognize as something solid until it was too late and it tore up my back bumper as it exited. I realize things like this happen but the amount of damage is way out of proportion. Most vehicles I see have a plate in that area to protect the underside. This Subaru back bumper is nothing but curved under, thin, cheap plastic.

Second, this thing burns oil. Imagine my surprise when I was something like 4k miles away from the recommended oil change and my oil light came on.

Thirdly, I have never gotten anywhere close to the estimated MPG. I drive at constant highway speeds. My legacy got the same, if not better, gas mileage and the engine had a lot more strength.

Fourth, at 73k miles the engine is now making a low, stressed whining sound with acceleration. I had my transmission serviced at the recommended 60k miles. But now I'm wondering if it's going out.

I am fixing the damage to the front and getting rid of this thing before it falls apart completely.

Burns Lots of Oil and Gas
By Kirk Kraemer

Lawsuit has been settled and Subaru finally agreed that maybe I should not have to add a quart of $8 oil every 2200 miles. Car has about 118,000 miles and has burned oil excessively the entire time (dealer: "it's normal oil burn to go through a quart in as little as 1200 miles). Class action settlement extends warranty for 1 year for cars that are already in excess of 100,000 miles.

Specifically traded in my previous Subaru to get the 2012 because of the 37mpg highway on the sticker. I NEVER EVER got over 31 mpg and I drive mostly flat highway with constant speeds. Total BS on the 37mpg.

Snow slaying machine with a pathetic interior
By Jesse Nicola

2012 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.0i Limited PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

This is my first Subaru, and quite possibly my last. The issues have been plentiful. The interior rattles to high hell. I had to go to two dealers as the first tried to bamboozle me like it wasn't an issue. Internal fan was failing and the bearing was making more noise than a duck on meth, which the dealer claimed was normal. Seat heaters stop working, dealer claims that's a safety feature... my butt. Sensors in seat to detect if a passenger is in there FAIL when exposed to water. YOU SOLD THE CAR IN THE PACIFIC NORTWHEST WHERE IT RAINS YOU DUMB *&%$#! Not only does it fail... but it fails with the AIRBAG OFF! DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

Power? Gutless. Takes off from a stop like a two stroke dirtbike, abuse the clutch or don't get going at all. Uphill stop and go traffic? Burn baby burn...

WHY ISN'T THEREA A SIXTH GEAR! Spins 3000 rpm at highways speeds.

I've not once hit the combined MPG. I drove it across the country, and even in the flattest parts of the country, with NO ROOF RACKS OR ACCESSORIES, car already warmed up, driving a full tank on cruise control... 31mpg.

&#$#% Subaru. I wish some one else made a solid AWD car or I'd never sell this off, even at a loss, and never look back.

Loved it at First, Then........
By Joe Botelho

I was looking for small, all wheel drive car, specifically a hatchback, that would accommodate my 6 foot frame comfortably and the Impreza Sport Premium fit the bill nicely. The car is fun to drive, has as much pep as I'm ever going to need on the windy roads of New England and was very serviceable in the rain and snow. I never had an issue with the car, but did have to replace the standard issue tires at only 21,000 miles. Also at that time the front driver seat seemed to wear more than I would consider normal and I probably should have paid attention to that. The car now has 43,000 miles on it and one day the horn just stopped working. Also, there is a massive hole in the front drivers seat with protruding metal and plastic parts which have already ruined two aftermarket seat covers. I never owned a vehicle where the front seat was essentially useless after 40,000 miles?? Recently, I was passing the dealership where I bought the vehicle, and stopped in to see if there was a recall regarding the front seat. Oddly, all the service rep kept saying was "Do you have an appointment?" He repeated that 5 times, when I finally suggested that I am a human being, not a robot. After the whole disinterested event where they pretty much told me "tough luck and seeya later" I decided to take my car to another dealership to get the horn fixed. And I thought it couldn't get any worse. I called the other dealership, got an "appointment" a few days later for them to check out the horn. While he was writing up the service order he explained that they also offer a "complimentary" car wash, which I declined as I wash my own vehicle. While I was at the service desk, I also mentioned that I felt my front seat was falling apart prematurely and if they would check it out......, and was totally ignored. To add insult to injury, after they checked out my car they said it needed a new "steering roll connector" to the tune of $415.00!! For a horn! I declined the their generous offer and they still charged me $55.00 to check it out. I should have taken them up on the "complimentary" car wash. And just when you think it couldn't get any worse? As I am walking out to my car, I noticed a huge scrape on the corner of the front bumper. I went back in tell them about it and they suggested It was already there and that I was lying!!! I had taken a picture of the car earlier in the day to document my seat issues so I pulled out my camera phone and showed them a picture I had taken hours earlier with no scrape. They still suggested I was making it up!! I have never been more humiliated in my life! I loved this car at first but between its quality and support of its service outlets I will move on to another brand.....soon.

My experience with my 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport
By Loren Rochester

I was very excited to get this car... good gas mileage and All-Wheel drive seemed like a perfect fit for Wisconsin. I liked everything about the car except three things:

1) The transmission went out at 66,000 miles, 6000 miles out of warranty. The dealership told me it would cost $8500 to replace it with a new one, or they could put a used one in for $4500. I called Subaru Corporate and after three days of investigation, they said it was up to the service manager. I went to the dealership and raised hell. Virtually all of my miles were interstate travel with very little elevation change, no stop and start traffic. After some phone calls, the service manager got the price down to $1500 for a new transmission. I was still mad, but didn't feel I had much choice; $1500 was better than $8500, and I still had to make payments on the vehicle.

2) I was surprised one day when the oil light came on early in my ownership. The car didn't have that many miles on it. The car was, in fact, low on oil. From that point forward, I went through a quart of Mobile 1 0W20 about every 3000 miles. I checked it every time I filled it up. I am over 60, and have never had a car that went through a quart of oil between oil changes. Recommended oil changes were 7000 miles with synthetic oil. The dealership wanted $85 for an oil change. I bought Subaru filters from the dealership for $5-$6, and bought Mobile 1 0W20 from Walmart for about $26 for a 5 quart jug, and changed the oil myself religiously every 7000 miles. I just traded the car in, three years old, and it was going through a quart of oil every 2000 miles. I had this problem when the transmission went out, and talked to the service manager about it. He did not act the least bit surprised. BTW, if you buy quarts of Mobile 1 synthetic, they are about $8 a quart, so this is not paltry change being spent on oil, I obviously bought 5 quart jugs and had them on hand all of the time.

3) For about the last 9-12 months, the car did not start very well. I usually had to crank it for a few seconds, quit, then crank it some more with the gas pedal pressed down, then it would start.

The oil thing and the starting thing I have found are common complaints. I traded the Impreza in on a Ford Focus. I put about 33,000 miles on a car per year, and the Impreza had 99,920 miles on it. This is the first time in decades that I got rid of a car with fewer than 170,000-180,000 miles on it. I didn't trust it. I'm not sure that the Focus will be any better, but I got a 4 yr.-100,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty on it. I'm sure it won't be as good in the snow, but I can work around that.

IMHO opinion, Subaru should have replaced the transmission gratis. Using the 0W20 oil is not a good idea in my opinion. They are doing it to improve gas mileage, but I think it is blowing past the pistons. The Focus uses 5W20. As far as starting difficulties goes, I don't have a clue what the problem is. If they would have taken care of the transmission and they had proven that they had solved the oil thing, I would have considered another Subaru. This was my first, and there seems to be a lot of loyal Subaru owners out there, but I will probably not consider another.