Used 2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport Premium PZEV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Oil burner
By fredjohnson

2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport Premium PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

My 2012 Impreza is beginning to really bother me. 25k miles on it and it burns 2 qts of oil every 3k miles now. Yes, the CVT is noisy as can be, but I knew that when I bought it. In winter, my highway gas mileage does drop to 27 mpg which is almost 10 mpg lower than EPA sticker. Overall, I'm dissatisfied with the car, especially after finding out Subaru won't do much to help with the oil consumption other than to say its "normal". And to that I say BS. Never had a Toyota or Honda---I've owned 8 new ones--- burn oil.

AWD

Be honest with buyers, Subaru. Your cars burn oil and you should warn customers before buying or pay to replace engines and engine parts if they burn oil. Instead, you hide behind some slimy statement in the owners manual telling us to expect a 1 qt oil burn every 1200 miles in a NEW car?????? That's dishonest.

Enjoying my Impreza Sport
By jd_24

2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport Premium PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

15 Monthes and 23,000 miles of ownership and no issues. MPG has slowly increased to now over 37mpg on highway trips. Cold weather and short trips do greatly reduce MPG. Have used it for 300+ mile trips wth 2 adults and 3 kids. Back seat is roomy and comfortable for 3 despite the small size.

2012 Impreza Sport
By dead_duck

2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport Premium PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Good car. This is my first NEW CAR so I was looking for it to be perfect. There are a few things that you can not get a feel for when you test drive or search online. Like the fact that being a taller person, it takes a bit of a drive to realize your comfort level would be better with 3 more inches of track on the seat. Also, MPG are NEVER as advertised.

Larger cup holders for coffee mugs. Great steering and responsiveness. Plenty of room for a small car.

I'm 6'2 and I wish the driver seat would go 2 or 3 more inches back. It says MPG should be 28-34 or something. I have never seen 34 after a year of driving. I average 29 MPG with mostly freeway driving. Bluetooth is not easy to hear on receiving end.

Exactly what I was looking for
By mountaintundra

2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport Premium PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I haven't been this excited about a car since I had a Citroen CX GTi (in England) in 1982! And the amazing part is that it's a fairly basic car that I love. It has leg room and head room that you expect from a bigger car, comfy seats, decent handling, AWD, and awesome gas mileage (35 average in the summer). It's not perfect, but it does everything I want it to do, including starting at -27F without a block heater and going through snow without drama. Very impressive. This is our 4th Subaru. We drove the competition and there is nothing available that I would rather have.

AWD - very composed on ice and snow (with replacement tires). Good space and comfort for passengers. (Too many competing cars have protruding head restraints or curved back cushions that hurt my back.) Reasonable space and good access for cargo. CVT - I like manual transmissions, but ordered the CVT for the impressive fuel economy and enjoy the way it works, too. Fuel economy is wonderful for an AWD car that holds so much. Ice melters for wiper blades.

Mediocre sounding radio. Stock tires lose grip in snow, ice, and heavy rain. I always replace tires to handle our steep driveway in our extreme winters, so these tires didn't matter to me, but if I expected to keep them, I would be angry. They hydroplaned in an ordinary rain storm. Not what we expect from a Subaru! There is a bit of road noise, but I wouldn't sacrifice gas mileage for more sound insulation. Cheap plastic sun visors look out of place. Awkward placement of seat heater switches.

One of the bettter vehicles, but not perfect
By nyken

2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport Premium PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased the Impreza Sport Premium two months ago and have put almost 2K miles on it . In general I am very pleased with the Impreza. The styling is far better than for past Impreza models. The interior is roomy and comfortable.Visability is excellent. It drives and handles very well, almost sport like. Gas mileage has been just about what is advertised. I am getting 30 MPG for a mix of highway and city driving. Now all that being said there are a few things about this vehicle that I am not that impressed with. First is the amount of road and tire noise. It is downright loud on some road surfaces. There is also a delay in shifting from reverse to drive.

AWD, handling, fun to drive, comfort, styling, room, visibility

Better insulate to reduce road noise. Address the delay in shiftiong from reverse to drive. This can be dangerous when backing out of a driveway. Put on better tires. The Yokahama Avid's are rated very poorly for snowy conditions. Why would Subaru put these tires on a car that is designed for winter driving?