Used 2011 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Consumer Reviews - 3 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Subaru Impreza WRX STI - Consumer Reviews

2011 Subaru Impreza WRX STI

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

My $38K Mistake
By szampa

2011 Subaru Impreza WRX STI WRX STI 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Without a doubt, the STI was one of the WORST cars I have ever owned. Horrible build quality. Dealer could never get the hatch to close right. The hoodscoop and headlights rattled and vibrated at highway speeds. The dash developed rattles and squeaks and made the interior sound like it was falling apart. Horrible gearbox. Syncros never seemed to mesh, clutch was inconsistent and shifter would always hang-up between gears. GPS was old, outdated, cumbersome and inaccurate. Radio was grossly underpowered. Had to be run at full volume to overcome highway noise. Performance is underwhelming - all hype. Sorry Subaru, not feeling the "love"! Didn't last 5K miles with me. VERY disappointed.

Good brakes

Overall build quality could be VASTLY improved. Paint is of horrible quality and is way too thin. The slightest brush with a rock leaves a gaping wound in the paint. Transmission sucks - feels like it's out of a concrete truck. All-wheel drive is nice, but is a big power sucker. Underwhelming performance - thought the car was supposed to be fast! Cheap interior - all plastic and no sound deading at all. Put in a decent stereo for crying out loud! I'd expect this kind of audio quality from a Yugo. Ditch the GPS - it sucks and uses CD's - really? Too many stupid nonsensical lights and displays. Thought I liked the styling at first, but then saw it for what it was...looks like a computer mouse.

My 2011 SSM STI
By turbosti

2011 Subaru Impreza WRX STI WRX STI 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased my Subaru from Heuberger Subaru in Colorado Springs, CO. It is my first Subaru and it will definitely not be my last! The car is an awesome car! I have enjoyed it very much so far. My options I got was the navigation, short throw shifter, all weather mats, and homelink rear view mirror. In my opinion you definitely need the short shifter. The navigation isn't the best and the speakers are very good, but that isn't the reason I bought the car. The car stock sounds really good and runs well. I am very happy with the car and plan on keeping it for quite some time. You will always get people cranking their necks to look at your car too.

I like the short throw shifter option that I got. It reduces the shift length and it is covered under warranty. The homelink rear view mirror is also a great feature. In my opinion the SI-drive isn't a necessity, but it can help you get better fuel economy when driving on the highway.

The stock tune of the car is really poor. It runs the car lean which isn't good for the life of the engine. Fortunetly this can be fixed with an aftermarket Accessport such as COBB tuning's accessport or a pro tune. It will run the car safer and give you more power safely. Also the navigation system defiantly isn't worth it. If the car wasn't so rare I would have spent more time to find one without the navigation and spend my $1800 elsewhere.

STI
By amt426

2011 Subaru Impreza WRX STI WRX STI 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Coming from a G35. Wanted a car more performance oriented. I got that with the new STI. It doesn't have the nice luxury amenities but makes up for it in performance. Very fun to drive.

Body style is very aggressive. Acceleration is nice. Fun to drive on curvy back roads.

Short gearing. When launching from a stop be ready to shift. Quickly!