Used 2011 Subaru Impreza Sedan Consumer Reviews - 11 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Subaru Impreza Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2011 Subaru Impreza Sedan

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Plagued with issues, I nicknamed our car Apollo 13
By JMWDC

2011 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My 2011 Impreza 2.5i Premium has 36,000 miles and while it feels relatively safe in a colder climate, the constant mechanical issues have eclipsed any positives of this vehicle. We also own a 2008 Pontiac Vibe with 75,000 miles. Both vehicles were purchased new and we have invested far more into the Subaru than the Pontiac, even though the price paid was nearly $10,000 more for the Subaru. To be honest, I'm not sure what warrants that difference as today I would pay more for the Vibe. I would never recommend someone buy this car Used. All of the below issues were identified/repaired at Subaru dealers:

1) At ~22,000 miles the Mass Air Flow Sensor died. This should be a 100,000 mile part and was several hundred dollars to replace.

2) At ~20,000 miles the Rear Differential started squealing at 60 mph. At first we thought it was a tire or something and ignored for a few months. We took it to the dealer and they said it was a safety concern that needed to be repaired.

3) The car has been recalled twice in the last year for a brake line/safety issue, and I think there was a third time early on for something else.

4) At ~34,000 our adapter/outlet was found to be faulty after melting two phone chargers and needed to be replaced.

5) The driver's side visor does not fully stay up in the "stowed/unused" position. As if it was built faultily, you flip it up into its resting spot and it slowly sags down. This issue comes and goes in terms of severity, I think temperature plays a role. But it's incredibly irritating when you are driving and your visor slowly opens and hits you on the top of your head, you slam it back into position and it keeps falling, over and over, and there's nothing you can do. The plastic latch looks very cheap, probably wasn't machined properly.

6) At the time of this review, I noticed an oil leak. Can't wait to find out what's happened now.

This will be our first and last Subaru. How do I have a Pontiac that has never once been in the shop for non-routine maintenance, 3 years older than this much more expensive Subaru? The gas mileage on the Impreza is probably right around 20/21. It does handle better in the ice and snow but that's all it has going for it.

The car isn't sure if it's sporty or not, as the seats are very low and have absolutely no back support. I had to buy a back pillow like an old man when my back started to spasm in this car on long trips. Finally the interior is very basic

Loving this little car!
By campanozzi

2011 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have upgraded from a 2002 forester auto to a 2011 impreza LIMITED (canada & autralia only) with leather and wrx seats, i love the sound of the little boxer engine, good steering to! Fuel consumption is OK, in the city and pretty good on the highway! Its in my opinion the last true drivers N/A subaru! It feels planted I trust my car, i have the premium sound system ans i have to say its a bit disappointing! Good styling with the sport package to! Last , cargo space is not really good since it has a big bump in the trunk (sedan)

AWD,Engine,bluetooth,manual transmission

Sound System, rear visibility, cargo space, fuel consumption .

Great AWD and thats it
By tcrew

2011 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My wife and I purcarhased two new subarus in 2011.
One a Legacy limited and the other a Impreza premium 5 door.
The Legacy is great but the Impreza was a different story.
I bought an automatic, should have bought a 5 speed.
The 4 speed auto was terriable.
The transmission got worse as i put miles on it.
No mechanical problems just poor performance.
The seats were a cheap material that faded fast.
The tomtom navi was replaced after 14 months.
The door trim rotted off.
The center consoles plasic started comming off.
The only good feature is the AWD.
After 15 months i traded it for a 2012 Forester( i still love subaru).
Im glad the impreza was updated.

Only the AWD

Subaru already changed the car

Subaru Impreza WRX review
By mikeb32

2011 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have recently purchased a 2011 Subaru Impreza WRX and over all I'm happy with what the car has to offer. This car has undeniably good value for money in terms of the performance you get out, its more comfortable than I thought it would be, you have loads of leg and head room, the boot space is sufficient and its impossible to get bored driving about in it. There are, however, a few down falls that might get on your nerves. The amount of noise caused by rattling in the cabin is pretty irritating!, the traction control makes the gear changes a little jerky and the revs bounce slightly when its on, but at least that can always be turned off at the push of a button

I love the exterior styling, it definitely suites the menacing character the car emits. The interior looks good too, I like the responsiveness of everything and the ride is rather comfortable. The power, acceleration, handling and grip are some of the main reason I bought this car, Although it doesn't have as much to give as some of the other performance cars out there, it defintely has more than enough grunt to keep you on the edge of your seat when you push it to the limit and can easily keep up with/ out do the other cars in its price range ... I like watching the dials when I turn the ignition on, as well as the color ( Bright red )and position of them + more ( Ran out of space to type )

I think they need to improve the quality of the interior, theres too much plastic, the rattling + traction cotrol can get a little irritating and the stereo system doesn't have the best sound quality but thats about it ... this is ultimatley a very good car, definitely worth more than it is currently so its kind of a bargain considering everything !

I really do like the car, but there are issues
By dfgarrison

2011 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

First the good:

This car is a lot of fun when the snow starts to fly.
Living in MN this was important to me.
The all wheel drive in the WRX never disappoints.
I run General's winter tire and if anything the grip is too good even with traction control turned off.

The bad:

In the first year two bearings failed (throw-out and transfer).
For summer driving the suspension is too soft.
The seats lack lateral support, you slide all over the place.
The dead pedal is too small (size 10 shoe). Pedals are too close together and your knee will hit the steering column when left foot braking.
Front fascia will crack very easily ($750 to fix). Paint chips easily. 5 speed shifter is very clunky.

You can't get a new AWD car with this much power for under under $26,000 so the value is very good. Or at least you couldn't in 2011. Bluetooth connectivity is great and the steering wheel controls work well. Again, it's a really fun car in the winter months but to be honest I don't care for it in the summer, the stock tires may be somewhat at fault here though. A set of Bridgstone RE11's would likely make a world of difference.

My $19K 2008 Civic Si Sedan had a 6 speed, I mean come on? Better quality front fascia or a re-design that is less likely to crack. Transmission bearings that don't fail would be nice although I have not heard of this happening to any other '11 WRX. Perhaps I just got a bad one. Better side bolstering on the seats. The car corners far too hard for these seats. Wipers are horrible as are the low and high beams. Long story short, if you're REALLY want a performance vehicle spend an extra $150/mo and buy the STI.