Used 2011 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews - 32 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

2011 Subaru Impreza

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Plagued with issues, I nicknamed our car Apollo 13
By JMWDC

2011 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My 2011 Impreza 2.5i Premium has 36,000 miles and while it feels relatively safe in a colder climate, the constant mechanical issues have eclipsed any positives of this vehicle. We also own a 2008 Pontiac Vibe with 75,000 miles. Both vehicles were purchased new and we have invested far more into the Subaru than the Pontiac, even though the price paid was nearly $10,000 more for the Subaru. To be honest, I'm not sure what warrants that difference as today I would pay more for the Vibe. I would never recommend someone buy this car Used. All of the below issues were identified/repaired at Subaru dealers:

1) At ~22,000 miles the Mass Air Flow Sensor died. This should be a 100,000 mile part and was several hundred dollars to replace.

2) At ~20,000 miles the Rear Differential started squealing at 60 mph. At first we thought it was a tire or something and ignored for a few months. We took it to the dealer and they said it was a safety concern that needed to be repaired.

3) The car has been recalled twice in the last year for a brake line/safety issue, and I think there was a third time early on for something else.

4) At ~34,000 our adapter/outlet was found to be faulty after melting two phone chargers and needed to be replaced.

5) The driver's side visor does not fully stay up in the "stowed/unused" position. As if it was built faultily, you flip it up into its resting spot and it slowly sags down. This issue comes and goes in terms of severity, I think temperature plays a role. But it's incredibly irritating when you are driving and your visor slowly opens and hits you on the top of your head, you slam it back into position and it keeps falling, over and over, and there's nothing you can do. The plastic latch looks very cheap, probably wasn't machined properly.

6) At the time of this review, I noticed an oil leak. Can't wait to find out what's happened now.

This will be our first and last Subaru. How do I have a Pontiac that has never once been in the shop for non-routine maintenance, 3 years older than this much more expensive Subaru? The gas mileage on the Impreza is probably right around 20/21. It does handle better in the ice and snow but that's all it has going for it.

The car isn't sure if it's sporty or not, as the seats are very low and have absolutely no back support. I had to buy a back pillow like an old man when my back started to spasm in this car on long trips. Finally the interior is very basic

Reliable economy car
By Subaru Owner

2011 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Update at the 30,000 mileage maintenance - no serious problems, mechanic did the inspection of various parts, but only replaced what was required at that milemarker. Had Blizzak snow tires put on this winter, car had nary a fishtail in the snow and ice (although we had a milder winter this year). I can't tell you how much I love this car for its reliability. I have never had a problem with it starting, or any weird serious issues, it just goes. I plan to drive this for at least another 5 years.

This is a good smallish car that will get you from point A to point B. Not so small that you can't put a fairly large dog or a couple of adults in the back, or put the seats down and haul some stuff. It's not a luxury car but it has been very good to/for me. After suffering through a used luxury car (that a friend sold me) with massive repair bills, I bought this new. 4 years and 29K miles later it's doing fine.

I get regular oil changes and other routine maintenance, and keep it in a garage at night. This car has had some wear and tear but no major issues that weren't externally caused. (rear-ended, rocks kicked up on highway). It's never broken down randomly or behaved oddly in a severe way, which is more than I can say for the European monster I used to own. Minor issues with the Subie so far: a plastic piece fell off the driver sun visor, but visor still works; one occasion where turn signals started acting oddly then the problem resolved itself.

This past winter I had some problems with sliding on ice, so I am planning on getting winter tires this year. I live in an area where road conditions can be awful and only the major roads are plowed, if you're lucky.

The sound system is decent. Not as good as my previous car but I'm told pre-2011 sound systems in Imprezas were awful. Visibility is pretty good.

In comparison to other cars: The Forester is sluggish compared to this car in terms of pickup and maneuverability, but the Forester has better visibility because it sits higher. I have driven Nissans, and the Impreza is less responsive and maneuverable than a Nissan sedan, but more responsive and maneuverable than American cars I've driven. Compared to the Euromonster this has more road noise and a less gentle suspension, but not bad. I test-drove an Impreza sedan and the sedan grips the road better than the hatchback. I chose the hatchback because I prefer that style and it has more legroom.

Already traded it!
By mamabex

2011 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Premium 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car new in Feb 2011. Loved the looks and wanted that legendary Subaru reliability. Boy, we were sorely mistaken. We just traded it in after the last straw--and it's January, 2013.

We had to have the engine REPLACED at 18K.
REPLACED. This is a dealer-serviced car, driven gently back and forth to work and to the grocery store, etc. Engine knocked, we took it in, and it spent the next MONTH and change in the shop.

After they replaced the engine, we thought everything was okay--until a few weeks ago, when it began knocking AGAIN. We took it back in. For the last time. We traded that heap and haven't looked back.

This car was probably a lemon, but still disappointed.

Manual transmission is responsive, with tight gears. Holds the road well. Very little sliding or skidding on slick, icy roads.

An engine that doesn't completely flake out at 18K miles. I guess I would like the interior to be a little less plastic-y and cheap, but it's a cheap car, so that's probably pressing my luck. The in-dash Tom-Tom needs something to protect it from glare, needs to work ALL THE TIME (voice cuts out from time to time for no reason, then will return several hundred miles later, after I've forgotten it's supposed to talk to me. First time this happened the sudden, loud command scared the crap out of me), and needs to not become unresponsive when hot (won't respond to touch). We won't be purchasing another Subaru after this experience.

Loving this little car!
By campanozzi

2011 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have upgraded from a 2002 forester auto to a 2011 impreza LIMITED (canada & autralia only) with leather and wrx seats, i love the sound of the little boxer engine, good steering to! Fuel consumption is OK, in the city and pretty good on the highway! Its in my opinion the last true drivers N/A subaru! It feels planted I trust my car, i have the premium sound system ans i have to say its a bit disappointing! Good styling with the sport package to! Last , cargo space is not really good since it has a big bump in the trunk (sedan)

AWD,Engine,bluetooth,manual transmission

Sound System, rear visibility, cargo space, fuel consumption .

Great overall value!
By subiracer11

2011 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Premium 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new and now have currently about 28k miles. Overall great car, suspension is very forgiving but a little to soft for my opinion-that is my only gripe. MPG I average 28-30 on hwy and about 23-25 city. A lot of the wrx components can be switched to the 2.5i such as suspension or brakes. The 2.5i brakes compared to the wrx brakes are pretty stupid IMO; both have same caliper but different size rotors-I upgraded to wrx rotors using wrx caliper bracket and braking is much better now. Handles great in snow, the only thing that limits it is the crappy oem tires. Overall a great car for someone looking for a AWD vehicle at a great price. Do not overlook this car, you will not regret it!

-AWD-handling in all weather conditions is superior, hands down -Interior Comfort/Accessibility -Compatibility to wrx parts -Tons of room! (hatchback) -Heated Seats! - Visibility

-Upgrade to wrx brake rotors -Upgrade oem tires -Upgrade oem stereo-sounds very distorted at volume 30/40...even with "upgraded stereo" that comes with tweeters in the front doors -If you want a more firm suspension, upgrade to wrx or aftermarket struts -Aftermarket Swaybars!-Absolute must!, the car does not even come with a rear sway bar!