Used 2010 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Special Edition WRX STI Special Edition Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Special Edition - Consumer Reviews

WRX STI Special Edition 2.5L 4-cyl. Turbo AWD 6-speed Manual - (5 reviews )

Still lovin' this rocket!
By Which Subaru Be U?

2010 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Special Edition WRX STI Special Edition 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

After 4 months this street legal rocket-ship is still the best escape I can recommend to those who want safety, power and AWD fun for a daily driver or a weekend warrior! No regrets in adding this power monster to my growing Subaru fleet (the 5th Subaru I've owned); it compliments my 2005 Legacy GT sedan perfectly. Looking forward to taking this beast to NJ MotorSports in the spring for a track weekend; it separates itself from the pack in that it handles superbly, power is smooth and turbo spools-up quick; the adjustable torque and limited-slip features are also excellent. Ride quality is tight and extreme - it goes where you point it - what more could you want from a performance car?

Styling and speed/power/handling of the hatch (you can have the 2011 sedan); quad exhaust (the look & the mature "note"); extreme handling/stiffer springs and bushings; short throw shifter; wheels and graphite-colored rims; tinted windows; street style & attitude; the questions I get asked about it!

Keep the SE a limited edition; it's a head turner; my friends and gear-heads are jealous they didn't get one. Nothing like being the driver with the car others wish they had! Stereo speakers need a serious upgrade but I guess that's why there's x-mas wish-lists! Ho, ho ho!

STI-ME!
By Which Subaru Be U?

My 5th Subaru in 18 years. Started with a ‘92 Legacy sedan; ‘02 & ‘05 Legacy GT sedans have also filled my driveway. My wife also bought an ‘06 Legacy GT after driving mine. Other than maintenance/yearly inspections I have never had any problems with my Subarus. 3 weeks ago I was ready to buy a used Lotus Elise, new JCWorks MINI or new BMW 135i, when I made a trip to my dealer for my ’05 Legacy inspection. By days-end I bought a WRX STi SE hatchback which I test-drove wrapped in white plastic, fresh off the delivery truck. I’ve yet to question my decision. Wow, what a ride and it comes with serious street cred! Mine is Dark Grey Metallic; a real looker, but mature, color, IMHO.

Serious torque; amazing stopping with the Brembos; great, mature exhaust note from quads; slightly tinted glass; adjustable front and rear slip diff and engine throttle response; ride handling and suspension is amazing and super tight; Alcantara STi seats & interior trim is simple and classy.

The 4-speaker stereo could be better, but I kept my ’05 Legacy GT with 10 speakers and a sub woofer - aka: date-night car for my wife and I. My wife said she feels like my trophy wife in the STi; is that bad? ;-) I do not miss fogs, 6-disc or the auto climate - probably 'cause I'm too busy driving!

The car is great fun as a daily driver
By Scooby

From '03 WRX to '10 STi SE. Even with the AC on, this car's acceleration absolutely destroys my 03 WRX w/ AC turned off, and less turbo lag. Ride is noticeably stiffer (but quieter), but an issue only on poorly maintained roads; handles extremely well. Plenty of room for the kids in the back seat, dog in the hatch. Interior/seats are nice, but seats need more side bolstering. Stereo is awful. Short- throw shifter a must-have upgrade. Can set fuel cut as high as 6700, neat little beeping shift light. Adjustable center differential. Set throttle to S#, Sport and I mode are sluggish. Brembo stopping power is just brutal. I average 18.5mpg mixed driving. 5-star crash-test ratings.

Acceleration; handling/grip; more roomy and quieter than previous generations; flared fenders; and SE wheels; Brembo brakes

Better side bolsters in seats or offer Recaro seats option; better stereo offered standard (seriously, this is a $32-34K car and the stereo system is garbage); needs push-button start; add matching red stitching to shifter/e- brake boots; bit more sound deadening material

Love the STI
By Mike_ND

Have only a couple hundred miles on this beast, but I am feeling the love. Very mild mannered in daily driving, and the stiff suspension is livable. But, any acceleration above 4,000 rpm is when the magic happens. Then hold on! Superior performance and handling for a bargain price.

Engine HP and torque, combined with the handling are outstanding. Great looking car too.

Subaru stereo systems are noted for being just so-so, but hey, who listens to CDs or radio when you've got engine and turbo music.

STI Special Edition
By solly

I just traded in my 2002 WRX (which I loved and which took me over 108,000 miles without a hiccup, but was getting a bit shabby)for this "Special Edition" STI. The acceleration, grip levels and cornering are mind-boggling for a 4 door car. I thought my old WRX was quick but this thing is a rocket ship. Easy to drive and stable at high speeds. Driver-controllable differentials and driver- controlled "sport", "sport plus" and "intelligent" settings for either raw power in the twisties or relaxed economical highway driving. The body style is aggressive with wide wheel arches and the JDM wheels with summer tires. Interior could be more luxurious but I bought the car to drive, not live in. Love it

Spec C suspension, aggressive body style, very roomy for a 6'4" driver. Fantastic creamy power delivery like a turbine. Drives like a sports car costing twice the money. Seats are extremely comfortable and supportive. Suspension and tires make the car stick like glue.

At nearly $35k could have less plastic in the interior, and they should have retained the Xenon headlights of the regular STI. Stereo is OK but no more. An optional winter wheel/tire package for people like me who live in the snow belt would be great.