Used 2010 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

2010 Subaru Impreza Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Watch out for neck pain!
By GDG

2010 Subaru Impreza Hatchback Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I just purchased anew 2010 Subaru Impreza Outback and was really excited - first new car in over a decade. I had a Subaru in the 90's and loved it. My new car looks great but the driver's seat and headrest are horrible, the headrest extends forward too far causing neck strain, pain and nausea for me if I drive more than 30 minutes at a stretch. Can't find a solution to this, may need to return this car.

Favorite Features

look, how it handles in the snow

Suggested Improvements

Redesign the headrests

Practical Yet Fun
By Jake F.

2010 Subaru Impreza Hatchback Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am overall very pleased with this car. The build quality seems excellent for this class. The doors give a quality thunk when you close them and all switches/levers feel durable. The performance of the 2.5 is adequate and when combined with the 5spd the result is a zippy little car. The suspension soaks up the bumps very nicely (better than my 04 Impala I traded for it) and I live near some very rough roads so that is appreciated. I am a large person (275 lbs) and I find the interior comfortable and roomy enough. Even though it is summer, I have already used the AWD to climb up a rain soaked muddy drive and it performed flawlessly. I'm almost looking forward to the ND winter.

Favorite Features

The AWD as I live in a harsh climate (ND). The build quality and feel of the levers and switches. The suspension that soaks up the bumps on the rough roads. Decently roomy interior with good sized load space with the seat folded down. The manual transmission for driving fun.

Suggested Improvements

The 5 disc CD stereo is lack-luster and falls short of the 04 Impala I traded for it. The 5spd manual could be a little smoother with a little less clutch travel. I would prefer a manual lever as opposed to an electronic push button to open the rear gate for reliability purposes.

Brings Pleasure Back to Driving
By JasonK43

2010 Subaru Impreza Hatchback Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I forgot what pleasure can be had out of driving a car until this Impreza came along. For a 2.5 N/A engine, this thing is peppy! Great handling, good speed and excellent ride at high speeds. It's my third week with the car and I already have over 2,300 miles because I can't stop finding excuses to take this baby out! Love the standard wheels on the Outback Sport, as well as the seat warmers and two-tone paint (I got the silver). Few minor changes I would make to this car, but other than that, this car is such a joy. Gas mileage has been better than EPA estimates! (How often does that happen?) Avg. 29.5 Hwy, 22 City

Favorite Features

Five-Speed Manual makes it fun to drive (esp when you hear that boxer engine roar). Audio controls on steering wheel. Hill-Holder clutch. Projector low-beams. Heated seats. Visibility. AWD. Drives like riding on a cloud at high speeds. Tight steering. Standard wheels. The list goes on and on.

Suggested Improvements

More lumbar support for seating. Higher driver (center console) armrest. LOUDER stereo system! (but the quality is nice). Rear cup holders should be standard.

Fun to drive
By Eric

2010 Subaru Impreza Hatchback Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I go up into the mountains a lot and this car is perfect! It has a very comfortable ride to it and has enough power to get around in the mountains. It sticks to the roads and handles extremely well in the snow. The manual is a must and makes it really fun to drive. I am very happy with my purchase.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, roof rack, handling, AWD, steering wheel controls.

Suggested Improvements

Sound system definitely needs improvement

The miles are racking up
By jtheiral

2010 Subaru Impreza Hatchback Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have been in the market for a new car for the past few years. My job has me continually visiting cities throughout the nation which gives me the fantastic opportunity to test drive numerous rentals. I ended up settling with Subaru Impreza Outback Sport as the car that would best fit my lifestyle and best value. I decided that having AWD was a requirement that I needed to have. I also was looking for some good fuel economy since I due rack up the miles. I have had the car for two months and already have put over 7k miles on it. I am very impressed with its surefooted ability on ice and snow. The interior is quiet but rougher roads can cause some unacceptable road noise within inside.

Favorite Features

I love the All Weather package (Heated seats, mirrors, and windshield wiper heater). Spacious, lots of head room. Bigger fuel tank than most comparable models.

Suggested Improvements

A better center extend arm rest that comes more forward to allow the use of the arm rest while driving. The stereo system needs better speakers or something to make it sound better. The sound quality is flat regardless if it is coming from radio, CD, or iPod. Also, like to see engine temp gauge.