Used 2010 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Most Helpful|
Oil burner - burnt engine/valves. Awful
By crtruthbtold

2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bough (and I am now selling) my 2010 Subaru Impreza (Outback Sport). I bought it new, it burns oil. Ridiculous. All the maintenance and oil changes as required. In under 100K miles I had an oil leak develop and had to replace valve gasket -$$$ repair. less than 10K miles later I had a push rod bearing go because of oil burning! and now I have to buy a short block engine if I wanted to repair it. I am selling it for salvage for more than I expected as I refuse to sink good money after bad. At least I don't owe any money on it. This is the 2nd Subaru I have purchased with oil issues (the other was a turbo Baja - 4 burned valves while still under warranty in the first 36K miles).Stay away.

Favorite Features

Heated seats and split seating in back - good amount of room in the back when seats are put down.

Suggested Improvements

Don't trust a repair for an oil issue to last. Big $ spent despite all service records and good mechanics. Burns oil and ruins engine/valves.

2010 impreza Outback sport
By aherrmann17

2010 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This car burns oil. The scheduled maintenance for my region is every 7500 miles for an oil change. The outback sport however decided to develop rod knocking due to lack of oil in the engine. CA state law does not allow a car to burn 4.5 quarts of synthetic oil in 7500 miles. Highly dissatisfied with this car. I would not recommend it to anyone.

Favorite Features

LED tail lights. Rims look better than standard 2.5i. AWD

Suggested Improvements

Oil burning issue. Too much body roll. Engine seriously lacks in performance. And the MPG sucks. 26 freeway for a N/A 2.5L 170hp economy car? This car is at the low end of its class compared to others similar vehicles.

Second and LAST Subaru
By weegian

2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my second Impreza. The first one, a 2006, was a much better car. I had no problems with the 2006. The 2010 has 31k miles on it and feels like it's rattling apart. It's been idling rough for a few months, but according to the dealership that I brought it to, that's what makes a Subaru a Subaru. I just dropped it off for an oil change and found out that the rear brakes are completely worn down to the metal. The paint is also pretty terrible. It scratches if you look at it funny. After less than a year, I had scratches around all of the door handles. It's my personal theory that Toyota is not so slowly trying to kill the Impreza.

Favorite Features

Rear seats that fold flat

Suggested Improvements

Go back to the 2006 model. The new redesign has 140 horsepower and a cvt. Way to turn the Impreza into an AWD corolla, Toyota.

terrible car
By dhbsn

2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

i was expexcting so much more out of this car.bought it new in 2010. after about 3000 miles realized that i had no oil thought that was weird. but let it go happen again.so i took it to the dealership where i had bought the car and they said they had been getting a lot of these kind of complaints. So i sold that thing as soon as possible and got my self a wry and could not be happier. same car just much better all around except for gas milage. glad i sold that car

Mistake
By Hardcore

2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I traded in my 2008 Chevy Trailblazer to save money on car payments and in gas. I do feel like a made a mistake by not really shopping around a bit before making my decision. I was trying to save money but making sure that I got a vehicle that had AWD. I wouldn't recommend getting the Impreza and would tell anyone who asked to look into other AWD cars. There are plenty out there, they may be a bit pricey but I believe it's worth it to love what you drive. I also have been looking into a few other cars that have AWD and if you look online, you can find lists of cars that have an AWD option. On top of not "loving that car", the dealer that I bought this from just wanted to sell a car.

Favorite Features

AWD of course. Only other thing was that the seats are heated and are cloth.

Suggested Improvements

Interior, this was made very very cheap, everything is plastic. The armrest and the radio. The engine is noisy and the suspension is not great. I feel every little bump in the road. Subaru has a long way to go if they want to ever compete with other manufactures.