2009 Subaru Impreza 2.5L 4-cyl. Turbo AWD 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Incredible "Bang" for the buck

2009 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Review

WRX 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4-cyl. Turbo AWD 5-speed Manual)

Incredible "Bang" for the buck
By Joe on

2009 Subaru Impreza WRX 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my second Subie, also have an '08 OBS. This gets about as good mpg as the 173 hp auto in the OBS. I've gotten as high as 29.4 on the road and generally get over 27 even with occasional passing bursts. Town seems to be in the 23 range. Very happy about this. I've owned most everything performance wise, Vettes (2), BMW, Porsche, Audi's (3), Mercedes (4), Lexus. This is my 63rd car and it is a real winner for a fraction of what I've paid for some other iron. No it doesn't have Porsche precision or BMW steering, or the finesse of an Audi, but it gets the job done on par with any of them and it's loads of fun I'm sold on Subaru. Car and Driver article sold me on the WRX over the STI.

Favorite Features

SPT, Catback exhaust... delicious sound, short shifter, light years improvement over the '08, great power and torque, good handling in the twisties in spite of soft and compliant ride.

Suggested Improvements

Xenon light option, 6 speed standard on WRX, more accurate steering, better interior plastics. 18" wheel/tire option for WRX, a tad more suspension stiffening... this thing rides as smooth as my '08 OBS and doesn't need to; that's why I have two Subies.