2009 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
Very Satisfied!
By Ray on 03/16/09 11:58 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD w/Premium Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

The ride is smooth and the handling is superb!! This car is so much fun to drive. Much roomier then it looks.

Another satisfied customer
By Phil on 03/15/09 22:39 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Impreza WRX 4dr Sedan AWD w/Premium Package (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my second WRX. My previous was an '05 wagon. Went into the dealership one day for regular maintenance and walked out with my '09 WRX. The salesman didn't have to work too hard. This is by far loads better than my '05 and that one was very fun to drive. For the price this car has it all. I've got almost 4k on it and not one bad thing I can say. MPG is the same if not better than my '05 that was smaller displacement and less power. I've been averaging 23mpg combined city/highway, with a heavy foot at times, and around 29-30 highway. If you are even thinking about getting one you will not be disappointed. You can't go wrong.

can't get enough
By Subie Lover on 03/15/09 16:52 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My last car was a Subaru Legacy and it made me fall in love with Subaru. Comparing the '09 Impreza to other cars in its class (Ford Focus, Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic, Mazda 3, etc) there really isn't any competition at all. The symmetrical AWD, power, smoothness of the ride... none of the others even come close to an Impreza. And the Impreza was much less expensive too! It was a no-brainer and I couldn't be happier with the car.

Funnest Car I've ever driven
By TLB on 02/27/09 16:00 PM (PST)

2009 Subaru Impreza WRX 4dr Hatchback AWD w/Premium Package (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I knew this car would be fun to drive, but I didn't know that I would think it would be the funnest car I think I've ever even been in. I'm a automotive buff. I love to drive cars. I've driven many cars but this might just take the cake. I will admit, there are better looking cars that handle and perform as good as this but... the cost about 10000 more. Not bad for its price. I can easily imagine keeping this car around for a min. of 7 years. Very pleased with the car. Comfort is nice. I sometimes drive 250 plus miles at a time and never think once that my legs or back is getting sore. Mpg average on ten tanks 22.4. Car has unbelievable grip and handling.

My Suby
By pea619 on 02/04/09 16:43 PM (PST)

2009 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is the greatest car I have purchased thus far. It is my 4th Subaru, I presently also have a 2006 325i, which I love, but this car is even better than it. It really has everything you could want - AWD, traction control and stability control(in the base model). What other car can give you all that and still be adorable, affordable and have the "cars that drive great after 300000 miles" Subaru name.

Easy On The Pedal Easy On The Gas
By Chris on 01/27/09 06:13 AM (PST)

I'd wanted a WRX all the way back in 02, but got into Sentra V-spec on price. Fast forward 7 years, and my patience was rewarded with the 09 wagon. Overall, I've enjoyed it after a month of mostly 100 mile daily commutes. People seem interested in mileage. On Trip A and B the car has a fuel mileage calculator. I reset trip A at each fill up. Yesterday, was the usual $30 donation to the gas gods. Determined, I wanted to see what extremely mild driving could do for this car's mileage. On the drive in this morning, I averaged 29.7 mpg. Not bad for average speed of maybe 60 to 65 MPH in stop and roll traffic. Not a prius, but not a gas guzzler either. Power is just tap of the pedal.

Solid Package
By NSO on 01/19/09 01:21 AM (PST)

2009 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Owned 87Accrd, 94Maxima, 97Taurus, 00Accord, and after researching deprec. rate, insurance, cost of operation, and reliability against models like CR-V, RAV4, and Focus I decided that Impreza make a very solid pkg, and after I test drove it (2.5i prem and GT)I decided that I'd go for real value: Outback Sport (seat warmer+17" alloy/ raised susp. > sunroof+2 xtra spkr). GT was a nerfed version of WRX, and if I am ready for an WRX I'd go STI anyway. Overall I really liked VDC; it gave the already phenomenal AWD feel an extra polish and ctrl. But it will be tough for your brakes as it will brake harder than you'd intend to, road noise is also slightly more noticeable than top compacts I tested.

First Subaru
By Aaron on 01/14/09 16:10 PM (PST)

2009 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned many cars in the past. My previous car was a Lexus ES300. I do have to comment that I do not miss my Lexus one bit. The Impreza 2.5i is fun to drive, responsive, sporty, and economical. I live in the midwest, where we get our fair share of ice and snow. I have owned my Subaru for 5 days now, and can safely go places I never could go before in my Lexus. For a base model, it has a great build quality, there are plenty of features, it is much quieter on the road than the Ford Focus, Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic, and when you factor in the AWD it becomes a no brainer.

Gravity-defying, unique and fun car
By SR on 01/13/09 14:21 PM (PST)

2009 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Impreza is sort of a middle between focus and RAV4 and then it has a class by itself. The fuel economy could be better but it was a trade-off to AWD. What caught the eye first is the interior finished with better grade plastic, and chrome accents, leather wrapping are a nice capping. Fuel economy is ranged between 20-26 mpg pending on your driving style (go easy on that pedal and use some hyper-miling techniques). Interestingly the car looked like a lowered suspension version of Lexus 400h with Corolla-esque lights. I struggled between premium and sport, finally decided 17" + taller susp. > sunroof. Road noise is slightly higher to other cars I test drove.

Incredible "Bang" for the buck
By Joe on 01/11/09 19:07 PM (PST)

2009 Subaru Impreza WRX 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my second Subie, also have an '08 OBS. This gets about as good mpg as the 173 hp auto in the OBS. I've gotten as high as 29.4 on the road and generally get over 27 even with occasional passing bursts. Town seems to be in the 23 range. Very happy about this. I've owned most everything performance wise, Vettes (2), BMW, Porsche, Audi's (3), Mercedes (4), Lexus. This is my 63rd car and it is a real winner for a fraction of what I've paid for some other iron. No it doesn't have Porsche precision or BMW steering, or the finesse of an Audi, but it gets the job done on par with any of them and it's loads of fun I'm sold on Subaru. Car and Driver article sold me on the WRX over the STI.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Subaru Impreza in VA is:

$137 per month*