2009 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
Jaw dropping test drive
By chris on 06/19/09 02:29 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Impreza WRX 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I looked at way too many new cars before finally test driving this car and instantly forgot about all other cars I was looking at. I bought it the next day. The power and AWD this car has blown me away. It handles like a dream. I have pushed this car in all the weather I can find and have NOT been disappointed. Even when driving this car as calm as I can possibly drive, I still only average around 26mpg, which in the grand scheme of things, isn't too bad for 265hp and 244ft/lb of torque from a small engine. Great car. I highly recommend anyone test drive one who has even thought about the car. Well worth your time.

2009 WRX STI - Best car I've ever owned!
By JD1 on 06/17/09 10:34 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Impreza WRX STI 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I needed a car that had enough room for two small children (occasionally), AWD for the snow (no snow plows or salt trucks here in the Pacific NW), and I wanted a car that would have great performance (but economical enough for daily commute). I've had this car for 3 months, and I couldn't be more pleased. It meets all my needs (though not tried in snow yet). I keep it in the "Sport" setting, and average 21mpg in mixed driving conditions. Not a single problem with the car. A few additional costs: insurance went up $200/yr and car requires 92 octane fuel, but it's money well spent. Nicely balanced suspension (not too stiff, not too soft). The STI is a very high quality vehicle in and out.

'09 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
By wrx STI on 06/11/09 09:35 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Impreza WRX STI 4dr Hatchback AWD w/Nav, Silver BBS (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car gets looks and not just a glance, a full on stare from people as I drive by. It's a pretty cool feeling. The car is loaded with features and amenities. AWD, 305 hp, airbags, and safety and convenience features are numerous. If you're looking for safety and power with AWD this is the car for you. It can be expensive if you add features.

My first AWD
By kiana408 on 06/01/09 12:17 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I love this car! I really needed an AWD for Tahoe and couldn't stand another season of having to chain up in the snow. After researching AWD Vehicles, Trucks and 4WD SUV's, this appeared to be the best choice for me, someone who's always driven a fuel efficient Honda Civic. It handles great! I drove it through the Sierra Nevadas then the Santa Cruz Mountains all in my first weekend. Smooth clutch, super stable around corners and sharp turns. Nice look, comfy and roomy inside. My first and foremost concern when purchasing a new car was safety for me and my child. I feel very safe in my new car, so happy with my purchase!

Too much fun!!!
By fred kozic on 05/24/09 14:09 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Impreza WRX 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Best money I ever spent on a car. Unreal quickness for the money. Had an 87 grand national I just thought was quick. The wrx would blow its doors off. I average 27 miles per gallon and drive 70 miles a day. All wheel drive and 4 doors to carry my kids with ease. Drove in the snow like a champ. I have only one complaint, the audio system needs help. Very weak. If you need a 4 door sports car I highly recommend a test drive.

Safe, reliable, and excellent value
By loanthony on 05/18/09 14:37 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Only a couple hundred miles on the ODO but so far this Impreza 2.5i has lived up to my expectations. Chassis feels solid and ride quality is great. Handling is top notch and safety of AWD and solid structure gives you peace-of-mind (top safety ratings BTW). The look of the interior and exterior, while subjective I know, are clean and simple. No clutter or weird angles to speak of. I like the added std VDC, full disc brakes, and body- colored mirrors/door handles for 2009. Reliability has not been tested but CR record looks pretty strong. Also like that it's made in Japan. Negs: Interior is too plasticky, fuel economy is sub-par, seat fabric is too retro-fuzzy, and std stereo is not great.

First New Car!
By Karen on 05/04/09 14:23 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This was my first time buying a new car. I was excited so I researched for months! I checked out and test drove every decently priced compact car I could find. I did TONS of reading on various cars. I settled on the Subaru Impreza, and I am sooo glad I did. It drives so well and I love the blue color. I put in an iPod interface, which I love, because I just cannot drive without music. The thing that struck me the most about the Subaru when I drove it was how nicely it takes corners! I just LOVE owning this car. I have never been a car person but after buying this car I cannot shut up about how much I love it! The fuel econ. was better than expected - around 26-28 mpg city/highway mix.

Replacement for 03 Wrx
By TT on 04/30/09 19:57 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Impreza WRX 4dr Hatchback AWD w/Premium Package (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Just got the car so these are just my first impressions. My 03 WRX was stolen so I went with a new 09! It's got more pep and more bells and whistles and is a blast to drive just like my old 03. It is softer for sure but I don't think this takes away from the car in any way. Great buy! Forget the 08, this is a different car by a thousand miles!

First time Subaru owner
By Shirneen on 04/16/09 07:08 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Wanted AW drive but didn't want to break the bank (again). Got the 5 speed and it is so much fun to drive. Really hugs the road in turns and is fabulous in the Maine Snowy winters!! Added XM, Subwoofer so the stereo is fine. Gas mileage is 30-33 in mixed driving. Traded in an '04 Murano AWD and the Impreza is much better in the snow.

Solid and smooth
By Joe on 04/09/09 18:19 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my new Outback Sport for a few weeks now and have been very satisfied with it so far. I'm still getting used to the different (read: better) handling of the AWD. I test drove roughly similar vehicles (Honda Fit and VW Rabbit) and this Subaru, while more expensive, just felt much more intuitive and well thought-out. The seat warmers are nice and standard on this trim. The fuel economy is better than expected (26-27 mpg city+highway), even this early in the car's lifetime.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Subaru Impreza in VA is:

$150 per month*