2009 Subaru Impreza Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
First time owner
By First time owner on 08/08/09 18:36 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Impreza Hatchback Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my very first Subaru car (2009 Impreza Outback Sports), and I'm loving every minute of it. I've test drove the base model version, and I'll tell you that the Impreza Outback Sports was a very good choice. Also, I've driven the Outback Legacy as a loaner car, and I'm not very impress by the way it drives. Impreza Outback Sports is very fun to drive, very smooth on bumps and pot holes, and hugs the road very well. Although the gas mileage is under subpar, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. Furthermore, what I really like about the vehicle is the interior room, and the seats are very comfortable.

Smooth, dependable commuter
By Don on 07/28/09 19:31 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Impreza Hatchback Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the Outback Sport after convincing myself this model was worth the extra $2.5k. Could have had the base sedan for under $16k but that just had no appeal, unless you are looking for the lowest price. I still have a 2003 Infiniti FX-35 and it's tough to go from a bull to a lamb. Have to remember this has half the power. Big difference getting on to highway, etc. From the reviews I've read here I would have liked the WRX or STI but I needed to keep the price under $20k. Good compromise between cost and performance. I looked at the CRV and Rav4 but to get the same equip would put you in the mid-20's; also don't believe the new ones are as dependable as they used to be.

First of many roadtrips
By TheFirstRule on 07/23/09 16:31 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD w/Premium Package (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Took the two week old Impreza on its first road trip. Nearly 1300 miles and pulled about 30 mpg the whole way. A/C worked great in 100+ degree heat. Clutch is still a little stiff, but that should loosen up after a while. I would highly recommend this car if you need an AWD. I live in Tahoe and can't wait to see how it does in the snow.

Love the newer model
By Repeat owner on 07/01/09 11:41 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Impreza Hatchback Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I just traded in my 2004 Outback Sport for the 2009 because I loved my 2004 so much but it was beginning to cost too much to maintain after 135,000 miles. I thought I was getting a new version of my old car, but this one is like driving a different car and I LOVE it. It's got lots of spunk, gas mileage is decent so far, and just overall fun to drive because it holds the road and doesn't let go, even through rough roads under construction. She feels solid and well-built, and am once again so glad I chose this Subaru model. I've driven Foresters as loaner cars that didn't feel quite as solid with the same level of quick response, and this car is a few thousand $$ less expensive.

09 Impreza 2.5i Hatch
By ricky0018 on 06/30/09 17:08 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Performance-enough to keep me satisfied. Styling-nothing too dramatic but it does stand out. Interior-6' 200lbs guy here, more than comfortable. Quality-right materials used in all the right places. MPG's-runs on 87 octane and averages 27-28 city, can't complain! Haven't hit the highway yet.

Budget BMW
By Randy on 06/24/09 14:19 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Impreza Hatchback WRX 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is fast!!! This car is also a gas sipper. In the fast department I ran a 14.3 @ 94.4 mph with a 2.0 sixty foot. Mind you, this was at 5,300 Feet!! I am just shy of 8,000 miles on the clock and am averaging 26.1 mpg and 29 - 31 on the highway. I live in Thornton CO so the all wheel drive is a must. No other car at this price point offers all that this car can deliver!

Best bang-for-your buck sporty hatchback
By Nick on 06/24/09 08:33 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Impreza Hatchback WRX 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I just love how practical this car is for its performance. It's a complete blast to drive, but offers excellent utility. It handles great (I added a rear STI sway bar). With a few parts & some tuning, this thing will embarrass cars costing twice as much! As the engine breaks in, my hwy mileage has increased to around 26 mpg. And this is one of the few small cars that's comfortable for me to drive (I'm 6' 5"). I'm extremely pleased with my WRX!

My first AWD
By kiana408 on 06/01/09 12:17 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Impreza Hatchback Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I love this car! I really needed an AWD for Tahoe and couldn't stand another season of having to chain up in the snow. After researching AWD Vehicles, Trucks and 4WD SUV's, this appeared to be the best choice for me, someone who's always driven a fuel efficient Honda Civic. It handles great! I drove it through the Sierra Nevadas then the Santa Cruz Mountains all in my first weekend. Smooth clutch, super stable around corners and sharp turns. Nice look, comfy and roomy inside. My first and foremost concern when purchasing a new car was safety for me and my child. I feel very safe in my new car, so happy with my purchase!

Replacement for 03 Wrx
By TT on 04/30/09 19:57 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Impreza Hatchback WRX 4dr Hatchback AWD w/Premium Package (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Just got the car so these are just my first impressions. My 03 WRX was stolen so I went with a new 09! It's got more pep and more bells and whistles and is a blast to drive just like my old 03. It is softer for sure but I don't think this takes away from the car in any way. Great buy! Forget the 08, this is a different car by a thousand miles!

First time Subaru owner
By Shirneen on 04/16/09 07:08 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Impreza Hatchback Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Wanted AW drive but didn't want to break the bank (again). Got the 5 speed and it is so much fun to drive. Really hugs the road in turns and is fabulous in the Maine Snowy winters!! Added XM, Subwoofer so the stereo is fine. Gas mileage is 30-33 in mixed driving. Traded in an '04 Murano AWD and the Impreza is much better in the snow.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Subaru Impreza Hatchback in WA is:

$175 per month*