Used 2009 Subaru Impreza WRX STI WRX STI Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Subaru Impreza WRX STI - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Not your neighbors subaru
By firsttimer

2009 Subaru Impreza WRX STI WRX STI 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

One month into ownership of my STI, and what a pleasure to drive. Driven hard in the S# mode it is quite the quick sports car, but move into the I mode and it is pleasantly sedate. Owned an E36 M3, 535xi, RX-7, Prelude over the years. This car the best combination of performance and practicality by far. Never considered the brand before, but glad I did. Love the ability to haul people and golf clubs, and the AWD will be important in the winter. While expensive for a Subaru, a great value. Never had so many people look twice before..the scarcity of the car keeps many wondering what it is.

Exterior style, performance, comfort. I am 6'4" and I've a lot of room. Hatch makes rear seat roomy.

Moonroof/sunroof would be nice. Needs heated seats. Offer all season tires as an OEM option. I will likely scrap my summer tires for all seasons when winter comes.

It's been a blast for a year!
By subiedoo

2009 Subaru Impreza WRX STI WRX STI 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought last fall, drove through VT winter, amazing little beast. "Blam" passing people. MPG 22 this depends on where you live, stop & go traffic, driving habits, just try and keep ur foot out of it. Visibility good, except knowing curb local for parking, rolling into carwashes, (rims). Amazing space (5 dr hatch) you can fit a bike in there, or a Boxer and pug.

Speed, agility, hatch, room seats fold down flat. Lumpy exterior design, nice.

Shifting is clunky, clumsy. Passenger seat is funky, u sit lower then driver? thicker paint? Talk about easy to chip and scratch. Mesh grill in head scoop. How about a better growl in exhaust - why do we have to spend more for a complete package?

2009 WRX STI - Best car I've ever owned!
By JD1

2009 Subaru Impreza WRX STI WRX STI 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I needed a car that had enough room for two small children (occasionally), AWD for the snow (no snow plows or salt trucks here in the Pacific NW), and I wanted a car that would have great performance (but economical enough for daily commute). I've had this car for 3 months, and I couldn't be more pleased. It meets all my needs (though not tried in snow yet). I keep it in the "Sport" setting, and average 21mpg in mixed driving conditions. Not a single problem with the car. A few additional costs: insurance went up $200/yr and car requires 92 octane fuel, but it's money well spent. Nicely balanced suspension (not too stiff, not too soft). The STI is a very high quality vehicle in and out.

Acceleration/cornering outstanding! The sound of the turbo winding up just soothes my soul... Though the car is a performance beast, it is sedate enough in the "I" mode that my wife is comfortable driving the car around. Seats are very comfortable for a tall (6-1)driver. Get lots of compliments...

Heated seats not an option in U.S. 2009 STI, but are available on Canadian 2009 STI (wish this had been an option). Some mud flaps would be nice. Gearbox a bit noisy in 2nd gear when decelerating. Front passenger seat should have same seat controls as the driver's seat. Otherwise, no complaints.