Used 2009 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Subaru Impreza WRX STI - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Disappointing
By Ollie

2009 Subaru Impreza WRX STI WRX STI 4dr Hatchback AWD w/Silver BBS (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Just a huge disappointment. It's slow (watch as a BMW 3-series can almost out-run you, and a 135i actually can), it has more body roll than an average taxi (watch as everyone almost falls out of their seat when you go around a freeway on-ramp), it has more road noise than an eighteen wheeler, and there's more rattles than you'll find in an average day care center. Buy a WRX and save 10k. I completely regret buying my STI.

The trunk. That just shows you how little there is about this car to praise.

lackluster performance, interior build quality, car stereo needs fixing, Dunlop tires excel at nothing, paint job is cheap, shifter is too imprecise, seats with almost no lateral support, lackluster performance, etc. etc.

Not your neighbors subaru
By firsttimer

2009 Subaru Impreza WRX STI WRX STI 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

One month into ownership of my STI, and what a pleasure to drive. Driven hard in the S# mode it is quite the quick sports car, but move into the I mode and it is pleasantly sedate. Owned an E36 M3, 535xi, RX-7, Prelude over the years. This car the best combination of performance and practicality by far. Never considered the brand before, but glad I did. Love the ability to haul people and golf clubs, and the AWD will be important in the winter. While expensive for a Subaru, a great value. Never had so many people look twice before..the scarcity of the car keeps many wondering what it is.

Exterior style, performance, comfort. I am 6'4" and I've a lot of room. Hatch makes rear seat roomy.

Moonroof/sunroof would be nice. Needs heated seats. Offer all season tires as an OEM option. I will likely scrap my summer tires for all seasons when winter comes.

Pretty sweet car
By j09sti

2009 Subaru Impreza WRX STI WRX STI 4dr Hatchback AWD w/Nav, Silver BBS (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is pretty awesome and gets a lot of stares. It drives smoothly and sounds great, especially the turbo. The price is okay, but I wasn't impressed. The tires are summer performance, I would have liked all- season. The interior is laid out nicely and is built with quality. Some of the carpet seems cheap and doesn't connect nicely with other parts of the interior, the steering wheel has a nice feel as well as other control surfaces. The exterior looks aggressive and confident. People try to race me all the time. The SI-Drive is pretty cool, I keep it in (I) most of the time for fuel efficiency. If you drive nicely it can get good gas mileage, but can also burn fuel quickly with turbo.

Turbo, looks of exterior, appearance of the engine, SI-Drive, AWD, VDC, the horsepower, BBS rims, interior layout and quality, NAVI with lots of info on the vehicles status, many airbags, comfortable cabin, roomy and lots of storage, auto climate control, and 6 speed MT (feels solid).

All-season tires, higher quality carpeting, less touchier clutch, a coupe or sedan version would be nice, lose some weight (lighter vehicle), heated side mirrors, remove the Warning screen on the NAVI, cheaper price, lower front bumper protection, capture net for the hood scoop, more fuel efficient.

It's been a blast for a year!
By subiedoo

2009 Subaru Impreza WRX STI WRX STI 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought last fall, drove through VT winter, amazing little beast. "Blam" passing people. MPG 22 this depends on where you live, stop & go traffic, driving habits, just try and keep ur foot out of it. Visibility good, except knowing curb local for parking, rolling into carwashes, (rims). Amazing space (5 dr hatch) you can fit a bike in there, or a Boxer and pug.

Speed, agility, hatch, room seats fold down flat. Lumpy exterior design, nice.

Shifting is clunky, clumsy. Passenger seat is funky, u sit lower then driver? thicker paint? Talk about easy to chip and scratch. Mesh grill in head scoop. How about a better growl in exhaust - why do we have to spend more for a complete package?

2009 WRX STI - Best car I've ever owned!
By JD1

2009 Subaru Impreza WRX STI WRX STI 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I needed a car that had enough room for two small children (occasionally), AWD for the snow (no snow plows or salt trucks here in the Pacific NW), and I wanted a car that would have great performance (but economical enough for daily commute). I've had this car for 3 months, and I couldn't be more pleased. It meets all my needs (though not tried in snow yet). I keep it in the "Sport" setting, and average 21mpg in mixed driving conditions. Not a single problem with the car. A few additional costs: insurance went up $200/yr and car requires 92 octane fuel, but it's money well spent. Nicely balanced suspension (not too stiff, not too soft). The STI is a very high quality vehicle in and out.

Acceleration/cornering outstanding! The sound of the turbo winding up just soothes my soul... Though the car is a performance beast, it is sedate enough in the "I" mode that my wife is comfortable driving the car around. Seats are very comfortable for a tall (6-1)driver. Get lots of compliments...

Heated seats not an option in U.S. 2009 STI, but are available on Canadian 2009 STI (wish this had been an option). Some mud flaps would be nice. Gearbox a bit noisy in 2nd gear when decelerating. Front passenger seat should have same seat controls as the driver's seat. Otherwise, no complaints.