2009 Subaru Impreza Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
reliable and good-looking
By m9mk10 on 08/16/12 14:54 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Fun car, reliable in bad weather, nice to look at, easy to drive

rod knocking and spun a ring, at 34k miles
By zwzachary87 on 03/20/12 20:36 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have a 2009 Subaru Impreza sedan and it just did the same thing at 34k miles, I was getting on to the highway and my check engine light came on then traction control light and started knocking pulled over checked oil it was bone dry 3 QUARTS LOW, rod in motor started knocking car spun a ring. Subaru is warranting the motor which is a good thing but i am a little worried about how they are talking about fixing my motor eater they will replace the bad parts with new, or they will order a short block for my car and i have a problem with those options because of the fact of you are taking your heads off the motor that has been damaged and putting them on the new short block well i have a problem with this because what is to say the heads were not damaged from not being lubricated and foreign material from shavings in the motor. i have my oil changed every 7500 miles because i run fully synthetic oil and i only have the dealer work on my car. 0n 2/3/12/ car had 29800k miles on it when i had the oil changed and transmission serviced, on 3/15/12 car had 34000k miles on it when it chose to break down and i checked my oil 2 1/2 weeks ago and it was full car has not been tampered with at all please if this has happened to anyone i would really like to know

I love my impreza
By ascehp on 02/07/11 09:14 AM (PST)

2009 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD w/Premium Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Ive had this car for a month or so, drive it daily as does my husband who kinda thinks its his. Only have a couple of complaints- Interior space is small, my husband who's 6'3 has to push driverside chair all the way back. My toddler's seat sits pretty close to front, so his footprints are everywhere. also found out about the snow issue prev mentioned. Only found out bc husband likes squishing piles of snow. Once the engine was hot it melted and everything was fine. Got up to 65 before shaking started and it was minor. Still I love my car and so does everyone who gets to drive it!

2009 Subaru Impreza - Poor in Heavy Snow
By djarvinen on 12/16/10 21:23 PM (PST)

2009 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

The 2009 Subaru Impreza we purchased has for the most part been a very good car. It handles well, has plenty of power, controls are well placed, is spacious and has very nice styling. The big problem is handling in heavy snow! The car has a design flaw that allows snow to build up above the front axle which causes heavy vibrations above 45 mph. At 60 mph the vibrations become violent. We were told by the dealership that we would need to use a high pressure hose to clear the snow out (pretty hard to do in inclement weather/conditions).

Great Car! I LOVE IT!
By Lindsay on 10/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD w/Premium Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I drive 100 miles round trip per day in my car for work. I absolutely love this car! It's great on gas, controls are extremely convenient, its fast. The only reason I gave this car a 9 for interior design are two reasons. I dislike the color of the seats because they are too light for my taste. I wear jeans a lot. none are new and my seats have a blue tint from getting in and out. The other reason is the the stereo area has worn a little above the AUX button... not sure why, but it seems the rubber coating is peeling a bit. I love that you can put it to manual when it snows. I feel like I have complete control over the car. I highly recommend it to anyone!

Love this car!
By Meghan on 06/17/10 16:50 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD w/Premium Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

First "new" car I ever purchased for myself and I absolutely love it! I bought this car mainly for the AWD feature. This car can drive through anything! Its great in the snow. I feel totally safe! Fun to drive, looks sharp, comfortable and roomy. The sound system is awesome! I get a lot of compliments. I have the Dark gray metallic with spoiler.

A Great Small Car Value
By rally_racer on 06/15/10 09:40 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great car for the money. Costs more than other small cars but when you include all the included options it is a bargain. AWD is a must, not only for winter, but makes a big difference in wet conditions. Reliability rock solid and outstanding resale value (previous Subaru owner). Apart from some complains by others, I like the suspension, just enough sport for this 46 year old guy and it soaks up bad pavement very well. Test drove a Civic and Mazda 3 and Illinois roads really did not like those 2 cars. I drive 90% suburban/rural driving (15 mile commute), but even with that short a commute I average about 25-26 from my 5 speed, which is the only way to go.

Excellent Car!
By Tony on 06/02/10 05:13 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD w/Premium Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Have not owned the car long but I am incredibly happy with it and surprised about several things with the Impreza. Even without the added power of the WRX or STI version, plenty of pickup on the freeway. And even though Edmunds has listed 22 mpg, I do a lot of freeway driving and have been getting more like 29 mpg. That was a pleasant surprise! Highly recommend Subaru to those that are thinking of buying one.

Satisfied Subaru Owner
By O.Sheinman on 12/25/09 14:38 PM (PST)

2009 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX 4dr Sedan AWD w/Sat Radio, Nav (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

As a former owner of an 02 Outback and a structural engineer who designs satellite structures for NASA, I am impressed with the reliability and engineering approach Subaru melds into their vehicles. I traded in my Outback for an 09 WRX 4dr when my pup passed away this year for a sportier vehicle; the WRX is an absolute blast to drive, I added the SPT dual exhaust, short throw shifter, and COBB access port and downpipe. I opted not going with the STI because this car is a commuter and I wanted a smoother ride; also really liked the window and mirror heaters on my Outback and they were not available on the STI. Handling is great and the 0-60 is unbeatable for a car in this price range.

Fun, Fun, Fun
By DCB on 12/04/09 13:50 PM (PST)

2009 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX 4dr Sedan AWD w/Premium Package (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

So glad a waited for the 09's. This car is safe, very quick, pretty solidly built, awd, fun to drive/look at, manual, comfortable even on 7 hour drives, and considering all this, it gets pretty good mileage. As some people have noted, Car and Driver rated this 0-60 mph in 47, while Road and Track did it in 5.1 These numbers are competitive with cars more than twice the price. I get 23 mpg around town, and 27/28 on the highway @ 70. I have gotten a lot of compliments, especially about the Dark Grey Metallic color. There are audio/performance upgrades in the future, but this car is phenomenal already. I recommend it to everyone! Take one for a drive if you are remotely considering one.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Subaru Impreza Sedan in VA is:

$150 per month*