2009 Subaru Impreza Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
2.5 GT Impreza/ Outstanding
By Juan on 09/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.5GT 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I am very happy with this outstanding and very fast car. It is fun to drive and I enjoy leaving other more expensive sports cars behind me when they sneak up on me in the fast lane. I laugh when I press down on the gas peddle and just see them fade away in my mirrors. Also my 2.5 GT has the 4- Speed Auto/SPORTSHIFT Transmission. So I just put it in drive and enjoy it!

Really Great
By sjr on 06/24/10 12:14 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Impreza Hatchback Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This was the first brand new car I've had. Wonderful price, AWD is awesome for nasty winter driving (I feel very safe), and it's easy to get in and out of. Can fit a wheelchair in the back with the seats down and my 99-year-old grandmother can get in and out without problems (most cars are too low). Roomy interior. The interior is nice for the price. Visibility great. Stereo is fine. Hatchback makes loading vehicle very easy. It does dog if you're using the AC, but it seems sturdy and reliable. After a year of mostly in-town driving I love it. Gas mileage leaves a lot to be desired, but worth it for confidence and security AWD gives me in the winter. I'd buy another Subaru after this.

I'm a Subie!
By JEB on 06/06/10 12:52 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I researched my buying options thoroughly and after giving a KIA Soul an extended test drive, I knew the Impreza Hatchback was the right car for me. After driving it less than five minutes I knew I made the right choice. The Impreza has the most comfortable ride of all the economical hatchbacks. The all wheel drive is unbeatable in the snow and rain. I'm even impressed the the gas efficiency. I've been getting 24-25 MPG in the city.

Love hate relationship
By rushguy on 05/27/10 10:22 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD w/Premium Package (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in my Charger Srt 8 for a more secure driving experience in the Pacific Northwest. I only have two grievances with my car, lack of lighting in the trunk area makes it impossible to see whats in there at night. The stereo is a piece of junk and I have the premium edition with navigation. My Android phone has better navigation and music options. Shame they didn't add bluetooth as well. My dash rattles over tiny bumps, started at 9k miles. I know dealer will fix it but it just shows they use flimsy materials here and there for sure and it shows.

Impreza Outback Sport 2009 manual
By MAM on 03/25/10 12:54 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Impreza Hatchback Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned a Toyota Camry, Avalon, VW Passat, BMW 328xi, and Honda Civic Si. I enjoy the Impreza better than any for several reasons. Manual transmission is fun. Just under optimal power at 170 hp (basic model) but more than enough for 95% of needs. Can drive it anywhere, anytime, any weather virtually without worry (like a mountain goat). Better than rated milage (avg 27 mpg). Very practical for dragging around stuff for kids at college. Highly rated safety pick. The BMW is twice the price and not as much fun to drive. Will probably buy another in the future when needed. Luv it.

Disappointed
By Miguel on 02/24/10 11:28 AM (PST)

2009 Subaru Impreza Hatchback Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

traded my awesomely outstanding 2001 2.5rs coupe, for a 4door outback sport. have been driving it for about 15 months/10,000 miles. handles great, esp. in snow. power is subdued. mpg 22- 25 vs my 4runner 21-24. problems shifting into reverse. noisy esp. with roof racks in cold weather. nice weather package. battery issues, car would not crank a couple of times, had to charge battery. worry about not starting.

purchase mistake
By subylover on 02/15/10 07:23 AM (PST)

2009 Subaru Impreza Hatchback Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought an Impreza Outback Sport and returned it a week later--traded in for a Legacy. The inside was cheap and the radio was awful. However, the seats were the real problem. They were so uncomfortable (no support at all) that I had bad back pain--it was hard to walk after a few days.

Not quite what I expected
By coffeebean2 on 02/02/10 10:30 AM (PST)

2009 Subaru Impreza Hatchback Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We have a 2006 Outback and love it. So I wanted another Subaru because of the AWD. Considered another Outback but went with the Outback Sport. The fuel economy is not what I expected, the automatic shifts later than when I think it should (possibly contributing to the fuel economy issue), and the manual driver's seat gradually sinks down. I filled up the gas tank on Saturday, drove approximately 30 miles in-town, and I'm down below 3/4 of a tank. That's similar to what I was seeing with my 2001 Chevy Blazer. Also, snow gets packed up behind the wheels - when I try to kick it off, the splash guards look like they're about to come off.

True Driver's Car
By Nick on 12/22/09 08:11 AM (PST)

2009 Subaru Impreza Hatchback WRX 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've put just over 10K miles on my WRX & I have a smile pasted on my face every time I drive it. It's extremely safe, capable, and fun-to-drive. To enhance performance I added a Cobb downpipe, a (second-hand) SPT exhaust, and a "street" ECU tune from a local Subie tuning guru. I also added slightly thicker sway bars & replaced a few suspension & chassis bushings for a tauter ride (I suggest Whiteline products - they're top-notch). Now the car is nearing it's performance potential, but it still delivers a very comfortable ride on Oklahoma's junky roads. I looked at cars in the same category (turbo & 4-doors), but the AWD & hatchback sealed the deal for me.

Mini Lexus 300
By J Snow on 12/10/09 18:39 PM (PST)

2009 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Previously drove 2000 and 2002 Impreza hatchbacks. This one is by far the quietest and smoothest driving. Gas mileage about same as 2002 2.5l. Really like the window door frames. Hate limited visibility of sloping back of car and temporary roof rack mounting kit. Standard equipment Bridgestone Potenza tires ride well. Added sheepskin seat covers make front seats comfortable. Lost a couple of wheel well plastic screws holding front fender - sloppy construction. 5-speed gear box smoother than past models, accelerates nicely. Less cargo space than past Impreza models. Best looking Impreza so far and dead ringer as little sister to Lexus 300 SUV.

1 2 3 4 5 next »

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Subaru Impreza Hatchback in VA is:

$139 per month*