Used 2009 Subaru Impreza Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Subaru Impreza Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Great vehicle but very poor longevity
By Randy Buss

2009 Subaru Impreza Hatchback Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I reviewed this vehicle when I purchased it brand new and gave it super good ratings in ignorance. Though overall, it is a good vehicle, however, I didn't get longevity from it. On Friday (7-31-15) my vehicles engine blew without reason. Two weeks prior, I checked the fluids (oil in particular) and all levels were good, but on the way home from work on Friday I suddenly felt and heard loud clanking sounds along with a drop in acceleration power going up a hill on the highway. I was fortunate to be right at a rest area exit when this occurred so as to immediately turn into it, to which I coasted into a parking spot because the engine stalled just as I entered the rest area. When I checked the oil, the dip stick was completely dry. The engine didn't seize up, so I had my wife deliver me more synthetic oil and a new filter. After draining the previous oil out into a pan at the rest stop (which was full of metal flakes/glitter and didn't give me good confidence for a positive outcome), I changed the filter and put new 100% synthetic oil (which I always use) into the engine in the hopes no major damage occurred, but when started it, it was clearly not runnable. When the tow truck arrived, the towing mechanic started it and turned it off immediately and said it sounds like something was ready to fly apart. The next day they informed me the engine is blown and needs to be replaced with a rebuilt or new engine. Estimated cost: $4,500 to $5,000 to replace the blown engine with a rebuilt engine. What upsets me and disturbs me the most about this is I took meticulous care of the vehicle, as I do with all of our vehicles. Furthermore, when the engine blew (started making horrible loud clanking sounds) no warning lights lit up on the display until the engine stopped running. No low oil pressure lights, no low oil level lights, no check engine lights, nothing! And how is it that it burned through three of the four quarts of the oil withing a two week span. When this occurred the car only had 120,000 miles on it, and was only 7-8 years old. Granted, I haven't had any issues with it until now, but I also hadn't planned on having to fork out $4000-$5000 for a rebuilt engine, or purchase a new vehicle for at least another 10 years. All of the vehicles I've owned (Pontiac, Mercury, Dodge, Nissan) I've used for at least 15 years each and well into the 250,000 mile range, and I've never had any major problems with them. With the research I've done since this incident, I've discovered a class action law suite against Subaru for an issue with their engines that strongly resembles what may have happened with my Subaru engine, to which the prosecuting attorneys disclose facts that Subaru has known about the issue, Subaru has neither disclosed information about the engine issue to their customers or done anything to correct the issue. Instead, they continued to sell cars with a serious known issue which could be life threatening under certain circumstances. Prior to this incident, I planned on making this car last me another 10 years, at which time I would purchase only one more vehicle prior to retiring. My mind was made up it was going to be a Subaru vehicle because I loved it. However, as a result of this incident and the class action law suite against Subaru I've discovered, it pains me to say my confidence in Subaru has completely blown up with my Subaru engine, and I will NEVER purchase another Subaru.

2.5 GT Impreza/ Outstanding
By Juan

2009 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.5GT 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I am very happy with this outstanding and very fast car. It is fun to drive and I enjoy leaving other more expensive sports cars behind me when they sneak up on me in the fast lane. I laugh when I press down on the gas peddle and just see them fade away in my mirrors. Also my 2.5 GT has the 4- Speed Auto/SPORTSHIFT Transmission. So I just put it in drive and enjoy it!

Outstanding Turbo Engine makes me sleep restless, can wait to get up next day and drive. Fast and silent. Great stereo can load 6 cds and drive forever. Also great steering control and a lot of grip with the All Wheel Drive System.

Wider side mirrors so I can see all those cars I leave behind much better. A Six Speed Auto/SPORTSHIFT Transmission to help improve Gas Mileage.Also better all weather stock tires like Michelin Primacy or Continental DWS.

Really Great
By sjr

2009 Subaru Impreza Hatchback Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This was the first brand new car I've had. Wonderful price, AWD is awesome for nasty winter driving (I feel very safe), and it's easy to get in and out of. Can fit a wheelchair in the back with the seats down and my 99-year-old grandmother can get in and out without problems (most cars are too low). Roomy interior. The interior is nice for the price. Visibility great. Stereo is fine. Hatchback makes loading vehicle very easy. It does dog if you're using the AC, but it seems sturdy and reliable. After a year of mostly in-town driving I love it. Gas mileage leaves a lot to be desired, but worth it for confidence and security AWD gives me in the winter. I'd buy another Subaru after this.

AWD, Safety, comfort

Fuel economy.

I'm a Subie!
By JEB

2009 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I researched my buying options thoroughly and after giving a KIA Soul an extended test drive, I knew the Impreza Hatchback was the right car for me. After driving it less than five minutes I knew I made the right choice. The Impreza has the most comfortable ride of all the economical hatchbacks. The all wheel drive is unbeatable in the snow and rain. I'm even impressed the the gas efficiency. I've been getting 24-25 MPG in the city.

Comfort of ride, size and fun to drive.

Don't like the newer style head rest.

Love hate relationship
By rushguy

2009 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD w/Premium Package (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in my Charger Srt 8 for a more secure driving experience in the Pacific Northwest. I only have two grievances with my car, lack of lighting in the trunk area makes it impossible to see whats in there at night. The stereo is a piece of junk and I have the premium edition with navigation. My Android phone has better navigation and music options. Shame they didn't add bluetooth as well. My dash rattles over tiny bumps, started at 9k miles. I know dealer will fix it but it just shows they use flimsy materials here and there for sure and it shows.

Functional hood scoop, red stitching on seats. Brake assist when starting from a stop on an incline is huge! Acceleration is wicked when you want it, torque is pretty lame tho at low rpm. Be nice if it red lined at 15k like my old S2000. Anyway this car is truly beautiful to behold and a blast.

Put a light in the trunk! Better paint, this thing shows wear very fast and is prone to dings. More intuitive nav-radio. More cup holders, none in back seats? This car cries out for dual moon roofs.