Used 2009 Subaru Impreza Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

2.5 GT Impreza/ Outstanding
By Juan

2009 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.5GT 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I am very happy with this outstanding and very fast car. It is fun to drive and I enjoy leaving other more expensive sports cars behind me when they sneak up on me in the fast lane. I laugh when I press down on the gas peddle and just see them fade away in my mirrors. Also my 2.5 GT has the 4- Speed Auto/SPORTSHIFT Transmission. So I just put it in drive and enjoy it!

Favorite Features

Outstanding Turbo Engine makes me sleep restless, can wait to get up next day and drive. Fast and silent. Great stereo can load 6 cds and drive forever. Also great steering control and a lot of grip with the All Wheel Drive System.

Suggested Improvements

Wider side mirrors so I can see all those cars I leave behind much better. A Six Speed Auto/SPORTSHIFT Transmission to help improve Gas Mileage.Also better all weather stock tires like Michelin Primacy or Continental DWS.

Really Great
By sjr

2009 Subaru Impreza Hatchback Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This was the first brand new car I've had. Wonderful price, AWD is awesome for nasty winter driving (I feel very safe), and it's easy to get in and out of. Can fit a wheelchair in the back with the seats down and my 99-year-old grandmother can get in and out without problems (most cars are too low). Roomy interior. The interior is nice for the price. Visibility great. Stereo is fine. Hatchback makes loading vehicle very easy. It does dog if you're using the AC, but it seems sturdy and reliable. After a year of mostly in-town driving I love it. Gas mileage leaves a lot to be desired, but worth it for confidence and security AWD gives me in the winter. I'd buy another Subaru after this.

Favorite Features

AWD, Safety, comfort

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy.

I'm a Subie!
By JEB

2009 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I researched my buying options thoroughly and after giving a KIA Soul an extended test drive, I knew the Impreza Hatchback was the right car for me. After driving it less than five minutes I knew I made the right choice. The Impreza has the most comfortable ride of all the economical hatchbacks. The all wheel drive is unbeatable in the snow and rain. I'm even impressed the the gas efficiency. I've been getting 24-25 MPG in the city.

Favorite Features

Comfort of ride, size and fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Don't like the newer style head rest.

Love hate relationship
By rushguy

2009 Subaru Impreza Hatchback 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD w/Premium Package (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in my Charger Srt 8 for a more secure driving experience in the Pacific Northwest. I only have two grievances with my car, lack of lighting in the trunk area makes it impossible to see whats in there at night. The stereo is a piece of junk and I have the premium edition with navigation. My Android phone has better navigation and music options. Shame they didn't add bluetooth as well. My dash rattles over tiny bumps, started at 9k miles. I know dealer will fix it but it just shows they use flimsy materials here and there for sure and it shows.

Favorite Features

Functional hood scoop, red stitching on seats. Brake assist when starting from a stop on an incline is huge! Acceleration is wicked when you want it, torque is pretty lame tho at low rpm. Be nice if it red lined at 15k like my old S2000. Anyway this car is truly beautiful to behold and a blast.

Suggested Improvements

Put a light in the trunk! Better paint, this thing shows wear very fast and is prone to dings. More intuitive nav-radio. More cup holders, none in back seats? This car cries out for dual moon roofs.

Impreza Outback Sport 2009 manual
By MAM

2009 Subaru Impreza Hatchback Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned a Toyota Camry, Avalon, VW Passat, BMW 328xi, and Honda Civic Si. I enjoy the Impreza better than any for several reasons. Manual transmission is fun. Just under optimal power at 170 hp (basic model) but more than enough for 95% of needs. Can drive it anywhere, anytime, any weather virtually without worry (like a mountain goat). Better than rated milage (avg 27 mpg). Very practical for dragging around stuff for kids at college. Highly rated safety pick. The BMW is twice the price and not as much fun to drive. Will probably buy another in the future when needed. Luv it.

Favorite Features

Practicality, agility, driving ability in poor weather, AWD

Suggested Improvements

Interior material could be a little nicer. Offer a slightly more powerful (more than 170 hp but less than WRX) with manual transmission. Perhaps 200 hp like the Honda Si would be optimal balance.