2009 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
Impreza Outback Sport 2009 manual
By MAM on 03/25/10 12:54 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned a Toyota Camry, Avalon, VW Passat, BMW 328xi, and Honda Civic Si. I enjoy the Impreza better than any for several reasons. Manual transmission is fun. Just under optimal power at 170 hp (basic model) but more than enough for 95% of needs. Can drive it anywhere, anytime, any weather virtually without worry (like a mountain goat). Better than rated milage (avg 27 mpg). Very practical for dragging around stuff for kids at college. Highly rated safety pick. The BMW is twice the price and not as much fun to drive. Will probably buy another in the future when needed. Luv it.

Disappointed
By Miguel on 02/24/10 11:28 AM (PST)

2009 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

traded my awesomely outstanding 2001 2.5rs coupe, for a 4door outback sport. have been driving it for about 15 months/10,000 miles. handles great, esp. in snow. power is subdued. mpg 22- 25 vs my 4runner 21-24. problems shifting into reverse. noisy esp. with roof racks in cold weather. nice weather package. battery issues, car would not crank a couple of times, had to charge battery. worry about not starting.

Great so far
By Teddy on 10/05/09 14:22 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased the car with my work discount, plus end of the year 0.0% financing, so it turned out to be a great deal. I wasn't sure that I was going to like the car at first, because I switched over from a SUV. But I realized quick that I made a good decision. Comparing to my old truck, mpg is not bad, mainly city driving I get almost 25 average. Being 6'2 the car is pretty comfortable with the help of the adjusting seat. I definitely recommend the 5spd instead of the automatic, which is kinda sluggish.

First time owner
By First time owner on 08/08/09 18:36 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my very first Subaru car (2009 Impreza Outback Sports), and I'm loving every minute of it. I've test drove the base model version, and I'll tell you that the Impreza Outback Sports was a very good choice. Also, I've driven the Outback Legacy as a loaner car, and I'm not very impress by the way it drives. Impreza Outback Sports is very fun to drive, very smooth on bumps and pot holes, and hugs the road very well. Although the gas mileage is under subpar, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. Furthermore, what I really like about the vehicle is the interior room, and the seats are very comfortable.

Love the newer model
By Repeat owner on 07/01/09 11:41 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I just traded in my 2004 Outback Sport for the 2009 because I loved my 2004 so much but it was beginning to cost too much to maintain after 135,000 miles. I thought I was getting a new version of my old car, but this one is like driving a different car and I LOVE it. It's got lots of spunk, gas mileage is decent so far, and just overall fun to drive because it holds the road and doesn't let go, even through rough roads under construction. She feels solid and well-built, and am once again so glad I chose this Subaru model. I've driven Foresters as loaner cars that didn't feel quite as solid with the same level of quick response, and this car is a few thousand $$ less expensive.

First time Subaru owner
By Shirneen on 04/16/09 07:08 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Wanted AW drive but didn't want to break the bank (again). Got the 5 speed and it is so much fun to drive. Really hugs the road in turns and is fabulous in the Maine Snowy winters!! Added XM, Subwoofer so the stereo is fine. Gas mileage is 30-33 in mixed driving. Traded in an '04 Murano AWD and the Impreza is much better in the snow.

Solid and smooth
By Joe on 04/09/09 18:19 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my new Outback Sport for a few weeks now and have been very satisfied with it so far. I'm still getting used to the different (read: better) handling of the AWD. I test drove roughly similar vehicles (Honda Fit and VW Rabbit) and this Subaru, while more expensive, just felt much more intuitive and well thought-out. The seat warmers are nice and standard on this trim. The fuel economy is better than expected (26-27 mpg city+highway), even this early in the car's lifetime.

09 Outback Sport
By Dave on 11/19/08 09:42 AM (PST)

2009 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car about a month ago. At first I was a little unsure about it since the WRX is also very appealing. I have grown used to the car though and have found it really fun. It doesn't accelerate like the WRX, but it handles curves like a champ. And I get around 24 mpg in Houston traffic and 28-32 mpg on the highway depending on how fast I drive. I get lots of comments on the car too... most call it "really cute." I have heard a few things about the radio, but I've found that it plays nicely with MP3s. FM and AM bands are not as clear though.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Subaru Impreza in VA is:

$121 per month*