Used 2009 Subaru Impreza WRX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

2009 Subaru Impreza

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Too much fun!!!
By fred kozic

2009 Subaru Impreza WRX 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Best money I ever spent on a car. Unreal quickness for the money. Had an 87 grand national I just thought was quick. The wrx would blow its doors off. I average 27 miles per gallon and drive 70 miles a day. All wheel drive and 4 doors to carry my kids with ease. Drove in the snow like a champ. I have only one complaint, the audio system needs help. Very weak. If you need a 4 door sports car I highly recommend a test drive.

Favorite Features

The power and all wheel drive. Spt exhaust.

Suggested Improvements

audio is weak

Jaw dropping test drive
By chris

2009 Subaru Impreza WRX 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I looked at way too many new cars before finally test driving this car and instantly forgot about all other cars I was looking at. I bought it the next day. The power and AWD this car has blown me away. It handles like a dream. I have pushed this car in all the weather I can find and have NOT been disappointed. Even when driving this car as calm as I can possibly drive, I still only average around 26mpg, which in the grand scheme of things, isn't too bad for 265hp and 244ft/lb of torque from a small engine. Great car. I highly recommend anyone test drive one who has even thought about the car. Well worth your time.

Favorite Features

Plain looks do not demand attention from police. It looks 'cute' to the ladies and only gets 'oh wow's from every single passenger. The short throw shifter makes driving much more pleasant. There is plenty of storage throughout the car. It's amazing and I now look forward to horrific weather.

Suggested Improvements

The iPod interface is not too great. The legacy has a great harmon/kardon, but this car's stereo is not very good at all compared with others that are thought to be in the same class. HIDs, more computer displays beside gas mileage, stock foglights, and a 6th gear that might help with better MPGs.

Good while it lasted!
By AshJWilliams

2009 Subaru Impreza WRX 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

In the last year I've experienced a complete engine failure due to spun rod bearing (as have 100's of others US and abroad), driven with an intermittent CEL for 2 months and been to the dealership 4 different times to have the problem resolved, I have multiple issues with the factory ECU tuning including a severe occasional hesitation, and about a dozen other manufacturer defects and dealer workmanship issues including a damaged intercooler, multiple components installed improperly, multiple components not installed at all (missing bolts, etc), and the vehicle now makes a wide array of abnormal noises. Was fun to drive when it was running properly, but trust me its not worth the hassle!

Favorite Features

Subaru symmetrical all-wheel drive system. Is a very efficient design; additionally it handled winter weather exceptionally well (even with Dunlop summer tires).

Suggested Improvements

Bring back the Subaru STI Sedan. Also, typically it is a good idea to perform due diligence (engineering) when making alterations to a design...

Awesome performance
By Jerry

2009 Subaru Impreza WRX 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Quick, very quick 0-60, and lots of torque at highway speeds. One car mag says 4.7 secs 0-60 and that's not far off, which puts it in a league way above its price. Gas mileage about 24- 25 highway when you can keep your foot out of turbo, otherwise 21-22. AWD grip and handling superb even though the car mags say it is a little soft. Had it since March, got 7K miles on it and have loved every minute.

Favorite Features

Performance. Only thing that's beat me at the light to next light is a 400HP BMW M3. No one else has come close. It's hard not to grin while driving it.

Suggested Improvements

Stereo is very subpar. I don't even turn it on. I have the regular shifter and its very imprecise and rubbery, but you get used to it. I've heard the optional short throw fixes that.