Used 2009 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

2009 Subaru Impreza

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

A Great Small Car Value
By rally_racer

2009 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great car for the money. Costs more than other small cars but when you include all the included options it is a bargain. AWD is a must, not only for winter, but makes a big difference in wet conditions. Reliability rock solid and outstanding resale value (previous Subaru owner). Apart from some complains by others, I like the suspension, just enough sport for this 46 year old guy and it soaks up bad pavement very well. Test drove a Civic and Mazda 3 and Illinois roads really did not like those 2 cars. I drive 90% suburban/rural driving (15 mile commute), but even with that short a commute I average about 25-26 from my 5 speed, which is the only way to go.

Favorite Features

AWD, standard features, 2nd gear ratio is perfect, Torque, Handling, Safety (stability control, brake assist), Ergonomics

Suggested Improvements

Taller first gear, better seats (spoiled owning Saabs), upgrade carpeting, better looking alloy wheel options, fuel economy (6 speed)

Fearsome icy grades? No problem!
By liv4mntns

2009 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Trucks were sliding all over the road the night I first took a major drive (to pick up relatives at the airport) in my new Impreza. When we stopped for coffee, it was so icy that I could barely keep from falling onto the sidewalk! After my addition of excellent winter tires, the Impreza cruised up that steep, snowy mountain road as if we were out for a summer picnic. Note to anyone else driving on poorly lit two-lane roads: the optional fog lights are worth every cent in a snowstorm with oncoming traffic! Even though it's not why I bought it, I can't help loving the Impreza's amazing cornering abilities; it turns any twisting road into a fun driving experience.

Favorite Features

The fulltime AWD grips the pavement like claws without decreasing speed, the brakes work amazingly fast, the engine purrs at 70 mph (the fastest I've driven), the stereo is excellent, the backseat fits three large people, and the trunk pass-through works great for skis.

Suggested Improvements

Hey Subaru -- how about an optional trunk liner that we can buy for our Impreza or Legacy sedans? Sedan owners would like to protect our cars from messy cargoes like milk cartons and garden plants in pots, just like hatchback owners! Plus, please develop a higher, adjustable front passenger seat.

Agile, fun-to-drive, and a great value!
By my1stSubaru

2009 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Extremely fun to drive with amazing handling and the surprisingly spirited engine makes me smile. I feel safe, it's reliable and think it's worth it to trade some gas mileage for superior road holding, especially in hazardous driving conditions (snow and rain). Simple, but spacious interior and tremendous trunk capacity. It makes it easy to become a Subaru enthusiast!

Favorite Features

AWD, beautiful exterior styling esp. rear view, spacious interior, large trunk capacity, dual exhausts.

Suggested Improvements

The chrome exhaust tips and mesh sports grill should be standard. Maybe a couple more stylish alloy rim options.