Used 2009 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Great vehicle but very poor longevity
By Randy Buss

2009 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I reviewed this vehicle when I purchased it brand new and gave it super good ratings in ignorance. Though overall, it is a good vehicle, however, I didn't get longevity from it. On Friday (7-31-15) my vehicles engine blew without reason. Two weeks prior, I checked the fluids (oil in particular) and all levels were good, but on the way home from work on Friday I suddenly felt and heard loud clanking sounds along with a drop in acceleration power going up a hill on the highway. I was fortunate to be right at a rest area exit when this occurred so as to immediately turn into it, to which I coasted into a parking spot because the engine stalled just as I entered the rest area. When I checked the oil, the dip stick was completely dry. The engine didn't seize up, so I had my wife deliver me more synthetic oil and a new filter. After draining the previous oil out into a pan at the rest stop (which was full of metal flakes/glitter and didn't give me good confidence for a positive outcome), I changed the filter and put new 100% synthetic oil (which I always use) into the engine in the hopes no major damage occurred, but when started it, it was clearly not runnable. When the tow truck arrived, the towing mechanic started it and turned it off immediately and said it sounds like something was ready to fly apart. The next day they informed me the engine is blown and needs to be replaced with a rebuilt or new engine. Estimated cost: $4,500 to $5,000 to replace the blown engine with a rebuilt engine. What upsets me and disturbs me the most about this is I took meticulous care of the vehicle, as I do with all of our vehicles. Furthermore, when the engine blew (started making horrible loud clanking sounds) no warning lights lit up on the display until the engine stopped running. No low oil pressure lights, no low oil level lights, no check engine lights, nothing! And how is it that it burned through three of the four quarts of the oil withing a two week span. When this occurred the car only had 120,000 miles on it, and was only 7-8 years old. Granted, I haven't had any issues with it until now, but I also hadn't planned on having to fork out $4000-$5000 for a rebuilt engine, or purchase a new vehicle for at least another 10 years. All of the vehicles I've owned (Pontiac, Mercury, Dodge, Nissan) I've used for at least 15 years each and well into the 250,000 mile range, and I've never had any major problems with them. With the research I've done since this incident, I've discovered a class action law suite against Subaru for an issue with their engines that strongly resembles what may have happened with my Subaru engine, to which the prosecuting attorneys disclose facts that Subaru has known about the issue, Subaru has neither disclosed information about the engine issue to their customers or done anything to correct the issue. Instead, they continued to sell cars with a serious known issue which could be life threatening under certain circumstances. Prior to this incident, I planned on making this car last me another 10 years, at which time I would purchase only one more vehicle prior to retiring. My mind was made up it was going to be a Subaru vehicle because I loved it. However, as a result of this incident and the class action law suite against Subaru I've discovered, it pains me to say my confidence in Subaru has completely blown up with my Subaru engine, and I will NEVER purchase another Subaru.

reliable and good-looking
By m9mk10

2009 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Fun car, reliable in bad weather, nice to look at, easy to drive

good MPG

BETTER mpg

rod knocking and spun a ring, at 34k miles
By zwzachary87

2009 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have a 2009 Subaru Impreza sedan and it just did the same thing at 34k miles, I was getting on to the highway and my check engine light came on then traction control light and started knocking pulled over checked oil it was bone dry 3 QUARTS LOW, rod in motor started knocking car spun a ring. Subaru is warranting the motor which is a good thing but i am a little worried about how they are talking about fixing my motor eater they will replace the bad parts with new, or they will order a short block for my car and i have a problem with those options because of the fact of you are taking your heads off the motor that has been damaged and putting them on the new short block well i have a problem with this because what is to say the heads were not damaged from not being lubricated and foreign material from shavings in the motor. i have my oil changed every 7500 miles because i run fully synthetic oil and i only have the dealer work on my car. 0n 2/3/12/ car had 29800k miles on it when i had the oil changed and transmission serviced, on 3/15/12 car had 34000k miles on it when it chose to break down and i checked my oil 2 1/2 weeks ago and it was full car has not been tampered with at all please if this has happened to anyone i would really like to know

I love my impreza
By ascehp

2009 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD w/Premium Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Ive had this car for a month or so, drive it daily as does my husband who kinda thinks its his. Only have a couple of complaints- Interior space is small, my husband who's 6'3 has to push driverside chair all the way back. My toddler's seat sits pretty close to front, so his footprints are everywhere. also found out about the snow issue prev mentioned. Only found out bc husband likes squishing piles of snow. Once the engine was hot it melted and everything was fine. Got up to 65 before shaking started and it was minor. Still I love my car and so does everyone who gets to drive it!

handling, sport feature, stereo + inputs

heated seats, more interior room, heated mirrors, fix snow issue!

2009 Subaru Impreza - Poor in Heavy Snow
By djarvinen

2009 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

The 2009 Subaru Impreza we purchased has for the most part been a very good car. It handles well, has plenty of power, controls are well placed, is spacious and has very nice styling. The big problem is handling in heavy snow! The car has a design flaw that allows snow to build up above the front axle which causes heavy vibrations above 45 mph. At 60 mph the vibrations become violent. We were told by the dealership that we would need to use a high pressure hose to clear the snow out (pretty hard to do in inclement weather/conditions).

We really enjoy the all wheel drive in poor driving conditions. The spacious interior can accommodate most people and the well placed controls are easily within reach without being a distraction to the driver.

Come up with a solution for the design flaw that allows the build-up of snow which causes unsafe driving conditions.