2008 Subaru Impreza Consumer Review: Surprisingly fun

2008 Subaru Impreza Hatchback - Consumer Review

Surprisingly fun
By bloovis on

2008 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car replaced a beloved 2001 VW Golf GLS 1.8t. I was hoping to find something as fun and comfortable as the VW, but with AWD to get me up our steep Vermont hills in winter in the places where the VW failed to make progress. The Outback Sport has turned out to be much more entertaining than I expected. It doesn't have quite the zip of the VW turbo, but it's plenty fast. The biggest surprise was the excellent steering and handling: quite an improvement over the somewhat squishy VW. The next biggest surprise was the fuel economy; I'm getting 28 on average, and as high as 32 on some off-freeway road trips.

Favorite Features

Excellent handling, fairly responsive engine, AWD, decent fuel economy, heated seats, good legroom for tall driver.

Suggested Improvements

As others have noted, the passenger seat is a bit low. I also miss the telescoping steering wheel and sunroof of my old VW. The VW also had galvanized steel body panels, so I'm sure the Subaru will rust out sooner. The external styling isn't quite as clean as the VW, but it's an improvement over the previous generation of Impreza. However, all of this is nitpicking since this generation is due to be replaced in a few months.